Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have used a number of different 100gr 25 caliber bullets on deer (25-06, 250 Sav Ackely Improved), so kinda know about 100gr performance. A recently acquired older Savage 99 250 Savage groups very well with 87gr bullets, and does okay with 100gr. Looking for experiences with the 87gr on deer, and bullet selection recommendations. Trending towards using the the 100gr Speer, but may try a 87gr if folks report good results.

·
Premium Member
24,624 Posts
I have used 87gr for close to 15years in my 243Win for whitetail deer and feral
hogs down here in Texas. Not quite a 25 but a kissing cousin.

The Savage 99's (normally) use a 1-14" twist, and usually better accuracy is obtained
with bullets in the liter end of the spectrum...although I have heard of some later
production rifles having 1-12.

I would reccomend the Speer Hot-Cor 87gr for you. They are
reasonably priced and a accurate/ effective hunting bullet.
I have used these(Hot-Cor) in 270Win, and in 7mm-08 as well as 243Win..

An 87gr running 3000fps is very effective on deer. You will likely
get responses to the contrary, but I have taken over 100 deer
and many feral hogs in my time, and quite a few fell to 243Win
and an 87gr bullet.
If you take your time, and select your shot precisely, it is a deadly
combination. I prefer a shot that severs the spine at the neck.
This shot takes time to perfect...but produces a DRT no-nonsense
result. Heart shots are also very effective with this bullet.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think Sierra makes a 90 grain HPBT Gameking as well. Should make a decent WT load for the Savage as well.

Cool rifle, hope you can lay the smack down on a few deer!

Reactions: navajo

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I think there is a consensus among 250/3000 shooters ( Savage 99 1/14 twist) the Speer is plenty tough enough for Whitetail. The Hornady 100 gr interlock was made short enough to be used in the slower Savage 99 twist barrels but not all Savage 99 barrels will shoot them. The twist can vary in the Savage 99 250/3000 barrels form gun to gun, barrel twist can be 1/13 to as long as 1/15. As you stated you rifle is grouping the 100 gr bullet which tells me your barrel may be one of the faster twist cut rifles barrels....good for you.

I shoot the 100 gr Hornady and the 117 grain round nose in my 250/3000 with R-15...but my rifle has the 1/10 twist

Chocdog

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've shot a LOT of deer with .25cal rifles. Mostly the .257Roberts.
I concur, the 87gr Speer HotCor will work very well on typical deer. Shot placement, Shot placement, Shot placement.
I mostly use the 100gr Hornady. It's been very good with both the Roberts as well as my .257WbyMag.
One deer I shot with the .257wby with 100gr was at ~90yds. load was 74.0gr of RL25 for a chrono'd 3,600fps m/v.
Bullet impacted broadside deer behind shoulder and busted a rib in and rib out. Expanded bullet was just under hide and Weighs 67.5gr. Perfect mushroom.

I'd start with IMR3031. Second choice in powder is H4895.

I've tried for years to find a good M99 in .250. All have been "dogs", that I've seen or price was $$$$.

Another bullet thats a "sleeper" is the Hornady 75gr HP. I've shot several deer with it from the Roberts at ~3,500fps m/v. All have completely penetrated on shots beyond 200yds. Includes the longest shot I've ever made on a deer.... ~410yds. (depredation hunt on an airport..~1985).

The only "failure" I've ever seen on deer with the 87gr was a co-worker used the Winchester factory 87gr .25/06 on a ~250lb 10pt whitetail. He shot the deer in the base of the neck. Large exit wound. He placed the deer in the bed of his personal p/u and drove to town (Hamilton, GA. Harris Co. circa 1991). He changed into his uniform for a court case. While in the building, a deputy approached him and asked if the blue p/u was his... He said yes!. Deputy said.. "your deer is trying to get out of the truck!". He went and shot the deer in the bed of his truck in the court house parking lot!!! Put a hole in the bed with the .357mag.... We've teased him about it for years !!!!!

Make sure if you shoot a deer with your .250 w/87gr bullet that they are DEAD before you put it in your truck.... Actually, any gun/bullet.....

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Great post! ^^^^^^^ Really enjoyed reading that and I have read the same about the 100 grain Hornady. Tough bullet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts