Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
J series rifle doesn't look like the rest of the pictures I've seen on this sight. Mine has a 23 1\4 inch barrel "measured from the receiver" . chambered in 35, checkered stock. It kinda looks like the one pictured in the header of this site except the buck horn sights were removed and a set of Redfield peeps were installed. Sorry for the lack of photos. Haven't got the whole computer thing down yet. From my description does anybody know what other variations of the Texan were made. I'll try to get more pics out soon.

·
Super Moderator
23,662 Posts
35 Rem Texans came with a 20 inch barrel during the 1950s which is probably when your rifle was made. Since your receiver is a waffletop--your rifle was probably made between 1948-1952/1953. Pics of the rest of the rifle would be helpful to determine what model you have along with the first couple of digits of the serial number.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the pics, Iam just not smart enough to download them yet. Will get them out ASAP

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crappy pics. If you would like better let me know, ,,,,,that number is J21308, and the wood is not as dark as it looks in the pics. I'll do them in sunlight next time. She is pretty for an old girl. It's probly best that Dad wouldn't let me get my grubby little paws on it when I was a teenager

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. It has seven grooves. The only reason I am asking is that I am pretty confident that some modifications have been done. Really curious about how close to original (or not) it is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. It has seven grooves. The only reason I am asking is that I am pretty confident that some modifications have been done. Really curious about how close to original (or not) it is.
For example, the magazine tube looks short, the barrel looks long, Lyman front sight bead, Redfield rear peep sight, checkering..............

·
Super Moderator
23,662 Posts
It sounds like your rifle is a 336A--24 inch barrel with a 3/4 tube mag. Without pics--no way of telling for sure.

Reactions: TnHunter356

·
Super Moderator
23,662 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,662 Posts
No--not all Marlins had 7 grove barrels after 1955/1956. Most of them had Micro-Groove barrels that had more shallow groves--the number depended on what caliber the rifle was chambered in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you I lost track of my own thread. Does the rest of the rifle seem like it should "original". Or at least what would have been sold in that configuration? This rifle has family history and when it gets past down again I would like to be sure of what I am passing down.

·
Super Moderator
23,662 Posts
I would have to see pics. If its a Model 336A with the 24 inch barrel, 2/3 tube mag, pistol grip stock--that is all original. It also could be a Model 336ADL if it has factory checkering--the deluxe version of the Model 336A. But to determine that--pics are necessary. The checkering could have been added later by the owner or local woodworker/gunsmith. The peeps were definitely added later after the rifle was first purchased.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I sent pics of the checkering. Should I have zoomed in closer.? The pattern looks like others I've seen , but I suppose a talented wood worker could have copied the factory pattern. Either way it appears to be a unique configuration.

·
Super Moderator
23,662 Posts
I don't see any pics but the one in your first post.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts