Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started casting for my 25-20 with an RCBS 85gr double cavity mold. I believe I read somewhere that it's somewhat harder to get good Boolits for the smaller calibers than it is for the larger calibers...?.?.??
Am I correct in thinking I read that, does it hold any truth?
I get some nice Boolits come out this mold, but slightly less than half that aren't filled out right ( Don't have nice sharp edges on the bases)
So I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong... I'm gonna try another batch with Known metal/lead type/source (gonna use straight COWW's) and see what I get...?

Thanks for looking
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Turn up the heat, cast faster. I ladle cast and find that flooding the mould with melt will get the mould to temmperature and how much flooding will regulate the temperature. Most of my moulds are Accurate aluminum moulds but this technique applies to my Lyman moulds and a bronze Accurate mould that I have. Once again, your mould is too cold.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I read the same thing once. It was way back before Al Gore invented the internet so it must have been printed in a book and had to have been the truth (or not).

You have a big iron heat sink and are casting tiny bullets. Turn Up The Heat / Pre-heat Your Mould.

·
Registered
910 Posts
bloodgroove
i just finished casting a bunch of 55 gr 22 bullets with a lyman mold, i had fewer rejects than some 38-55s from the same pot. i did open faster and tried to make a large spru puddle, i did pre heat the mold and dropped 25 or 30 castings on the pad before i started water dropping. they are for a 22 hornet

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bloodgroove
i just finished casting a bunch of 55 gr 22 bullets with a lyman mold, i had fewer rejects than some 38-55s from the same pot. i did open faster and tried to make a large spru puddle, i did pre heat the mold and dropped 25 or 30 castings on the pad before i started water dropping. they are for a 22 hornet
Kool. I'm gonna give it another go after dinner if the rain stays away!? I will try hotter mold, bigger puddle and work faster to see what happens....?

Thanks everyone. Keep the ideas rolling :)
BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well tonight I gave it another shot I got the .258 mold Hot and everything went well.... The best Boolits I cast yet and they had that nice haze to them and filled out Puurrrrrfect LOL...
I even tried the Lee 44 Tumble lube mold and that worked great to....

Thanks for all the help, it's Much Appreciated!!!!

Thanks
BloodGroove4570

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.