Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well boys and girls -- I was closing in on the load for the 25-36Marlin before needing to point myself in the direction of H4 preparations. Somehow it ended up in SargeDog2x4's hands at the H4. Looks to me like it was working for him too...

Ran out this morning to check one more time before closing the file on that load. Dang, it was still working! The third shot high was probably me cheating up on the known previous first two shots. That's why I sometimes don't look at targets until after I've shot the group.

View attachment 114754

Here's the basis for the load development. The 25-35 Winchester has very similar ballistics to the 25-36Marlin. I was looking to bisect the 1500 fps range and went with 10 grains of 2400.

View attachment 114755

Oh, and here's the rifle...

View attachment 114759

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
661 Posts
Interesting round, good shooting and very nice rifle. Looks like a keeper to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
So tell us Wind, what are you using for a rear sight? I see a nub sticking up at the rear of the receiver. Is there an old Lyman Pattern 21 on that thing?

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
I"M JEALOUS!..............................Those PNW Fence posts of yours look so much better than the ones here in CT.........:flute:

Nice rifle...............Looks like you can close the Ballistic file on that one............:biggrin:

Tom

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That looks good to me!

(The rifle, the fence post, the load, and the results downrange.)

B

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey there Jeff -- Nope... The sight in the rifle picture was put on the rifle when it was brand new in 1895. The original owner had the work done. Just who built the sight, or installed it, remains a mystery. Many accomplished Marlin collector's have looked at it and none of them have ever seen another like it. It is very well done and works very well. With the rear sight turned all the way down, and either of the front sights in the Lyman globe tipped up, it is zeroed at 200 yards. For load development, I put a MVA #108 on it with an unadulterated Skinner blade to get down to 50 yards (50 MOA in the MVA).

View attachment 114773 View attachment 114774 View attachment 114775 View attachment 114776

Of course after the three shot group above, I had to swing out on the dingers. Once I get the sight card made up for them through the 650 yarder, I may put the original sight back on. A half turn on the rear sight elevation screw moves it from two to three hundred yards!!

I think this was the original varmint caliber at the turn of the century! I would like to see it play again here. The MVA may give me a little more versatility...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I think this was the original varmint caliber at the turn of the century! I would like to see it play again here.
Coyotes beware !

You've been warned !

:biggrin:

B

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
This is the "Sniveler" here (that exchange in that first video cracks me up every time... Wind ribbing me for my many excuses)

I got to say, of all the levers that were spitten fire that week, I think Mo's Fernando and Wind's 25-36 were the stars. If you had either of those in your gunrack you wouldn't have any room to snivel at all!

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Wind, I know you probably did elsewhere but you ought to post some pictures of the cartridge. I'd love to see it. Probably shouldn't but I'm a glutton for punishment, and flirting with temptation.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here ya go John -- Reforming 32-40 brass to 25-36Marlin, before and after...

View attachment 114826

And here is the Lyman 257325 gas checked bullet (before lubing)..., stuffed in a 25-35 Winchester case (too short)... and in the reformed 32-40 case (just right!)...

View attachment 114828

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Good ol American ingenuity never ceases to amaze me!
Some old timer made his own peep sight and I notice it looks to be windage adjustable to boot!
I see the front sight has a screw on the right. Is that for windage also?
Now that's cool!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well now boys and girls -- Since John asked (and I don't believe that time out nonsense for a minute) I thought I'd toss in a couple more pictures of the brass forming. I did eighty cases tonight and added a step. Ran them through a 30-30 Cowboy sizer part way to reduce them from 32 to 30 and then on to 25 caliber. Worked great. Gave them all a good healthy squirt of Hornady One Shot between squeezings and had no compression cracks in any of the cases.

View attachment 114837

I did have four cases show an unusual pooching at the case mouth. These cases weren't any longer than the rest. I'll trim them and chamfer them with the rest, and see if they straighten out all the way once they've been fired once.

View attachment 114838

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Wind,
Very nice to see that you have that vintage Marlin talking once again! :biggrin::congrats: :tee:
Now that you have a .25-36 "Mid Range" load working very well (great job!),
do you have any thoughts on pressing down on the accelerator a bit more and getting
closer to the original ballistics (2,000 f.p.s.)

3031 / H322 are very close to HiVel No. 2. It would be interesting to try the 20 gr load...........

w30wcf

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey there John K -- Thanks for the kind words. I've been intrigued with the fact that this is listed from the early days as a 2,000+ fps rifle. I'd pushed into that realm with other bullets but I think I was working to many variables in just searching for a basic load. This load is a sweetie and I scored some more 32-40 brass recently which I can dedicate to the 25-36. I'll be up there looking around and I'll be glad to pass on what I find. I sure do appreciate your contributions to these endeavors!! Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Well boys and girls -- I was closing in on the load for the 25-36Marlin before needing to point myself in the direction of H4 preparations. Somehow it ended up in SargeDog2x4's hands at the H4. Looks to me like it was working for him too...

Ran out this morning to check one more time before closing the file on that load. Dang, it was still working! The third shot high was probably me cheating up on the known previous first two shots. That's why I sometimes don't look at targets until after I've shot the group.

View attachment 114754

Here's the basis for the load development. The 25-35 Winchester has very similar ballistics to the 25-36Marlin. I was looking to bisect the 1500 fps range and went with 10 grains of 2400.

View attachment 114755

Oh, and here's the rifle...

View attachment 114759

That'll work--:biggrin:

Steve

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Wind, you better keep an eye on him when he's around her. Might try coaxing her away from home!
It's easy to want to do it with Wind's fine shooters. Luckily, I was smart enough not to try.

I was shooting Wind's legendary "28" at the inaugural WDRA shoot last year and while being enchanted by it I was having visions of maybe running off with it.

Of course it was at that time that I noticed Wind was well-heeled and having seen him shoot I was not about to take any chances.

Thankfully, the Captain doesn't mind sharing his fine rifles at times. That lets us mere mortals have a taste of glory.

Gonna miss him at WDRA2.

B

1 - 20 of 37 Posts