Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you thoughts? do you have one of each? would you rebarrel a shotout 25-20 to 32-20 or re-line in 25-20? 25-20 carries a 85gr bullet and the 32-20 carries a 100gr.....which is better?>i'm think outloud here! i have never shot a 32-20, but may have a 25-20 that needs something done...........

·
Registered
154 Posts
kaintuck -

Why not just rebarrel the 25-20 to 25-20? Assuming we're talking about a Marlin, e-gunparts will sell you a fresh 1894cl 25-20 barrel for $90.

And yes, we have both and although we only have 1500 rounds through the 32-20 (and ~8k through the 25-20), it's not looking like the 32-20 will become one of our favorite cartridges like the 25-20. [the 32-20 seems to shoot more like a scaled down 357 mag, accuracy wise, vs the 25-20 which seems to be the son of the 32-40 or some other target cartridge, ie, the 25-20 has been for us at least, a sub-moa cartridge, whereas the 32-20 seems to want to best-out at 1.25-1.5 moa.]

In terms of field use: we don't see really much difference btwn the two (in terms of delivered energy) - the 25-20 delivers a faster lighter 85 or 87gr'er (or better yet, speer's 75gr fnc); the 32-20 a slower 100 or 115gr'er. Both are pest/varmint/very small game cartridges. Though with the 25-20 we feel we have the option of taking head shots; whereas with the 32-20 it's better to aim for the body, eg, field rats at 30 yards.

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

·
Registered
496 Posts
I bought a Marlin 1894 Baby Carbine awhile back in .25-20 caliber. It needed a little work done on it with the biggest thing a new buttstock. I had the local shop fit a Precision Gun Works gun stock on it and they did a wonderfull job matching the forearm.

Anyways the bore is not that great. I thought I would try some jacketed ammo in it and see what happens. I brought it along on my camping trip to my desert shooting range. To make a long story short it shot quite well with the jacketed 85 grain ammo.

I was fully prepared to have the rifle sent off to get relined incase the accuarcy was off. If I was you and the accuracy fo your rifle is gone I would just get it relined. I have had very good luck with having rifle barrels relined. Parley

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
My experience is mostly with the .25-20. I am a small game hunter, predominantly, and I did not know how badly I needed one of these until I bought a Contender carbine barrel in this caliber. Now I wonder just why the hell I hadn't done it earlier. It does everything in every way for small game as long as you keep it under 150 yards or so. That's almost all shooting. It's not a varmint gun, it's a varmint AND small game gun.

For squirrels, rabbits, 'possum, and game under 20 lbs:

RCBS cast flatpoint, dacron fiber filler, W231 for 1150 fps. Kills better than the long rifle, little difference in meat damage, bullet penetrates like no tomorrow. Works wonderfully and I would rather hunt most all edible small game with nothing else as long as shots are under 60 yards. Best in 1-10 to 1-12 twist rate rifling at this slow speed. Report slightly louder than the long rifle but far less than the .22 WMR or .17 HMR.

Bigger furbearers: Lyman 70 grain gascheck 257420 out of linotype, with Swedish Alliant Reloder 7 for 1900-2100 fps (depends on rifle). Kills very quickly and leaves small holes in entrance and exit, preserving the hides.
Remember how a '**** can take several hits with the .22 long rifle and keep climbing up a tree? One shot with this and they fall out stone cold dead.

Called coyote, single shot rifle only: 75 grain Hornady V-Max, H or IMR 4198, 2100-2200 fps. Best in 1-10 to (I think) maybe 1-14 twist (longer bullet). Works very well, superior to the .22 Hornet for such use in my opinion. Limit range on shots to 125 yards, maybe 150 with a good rest. That range limit encompasses almost every opportunity at a called in coyote I've ever had, and I've been hunting them awhile. I can switch from tree squirrels to predators when the sun goes down without going back to the truck for another gun. Try that with a .22 or .17 rimfire! Go with the Remington 86 SP or 75 grain Speer in leverguns.

Maximum destruction under 125 yards: Hornady 60 grain softpoint, H or IMR 4198 or Alliant 2400. The 2400 meters better thru a measure if you are loading a lot of them, but I prefer 4198 by a small margin. Extremely accurate, a lot more tissue damage than a .17 or .22 magnum. Only for stuff you don't want to eat and would rather see in pieces. Any twist rate. Most accurate of all the loads I've tried in .25-20. I understand it shoots well in most rifles.

I'm having an absolute ball with mine, and I think I am going to have a custom rifle made up in the caliber (single shot) next year. A lever would be fine too, but harder to find.

If you hunt small game like I do you need one. Immediately! Rebarrel to .25-20 and have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I have both calibers, in older Marlin model 1894's. I tend to lean towards the .32-20 with cst lead bullets, as it gives me better accuracy. When it comes to jacketed bullets the .25-20 seems to have the edge.
Were it my gun I'd try to keep it as original as possible, opting to shoot it with jacketed bullets, if they shot well, or relining to .25-20 if that was necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts