Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Marlin 1894 in .25-20 that I inherited from my grandfather. Serial # indicates production in 1905. I have been shooting this weapon since handed down to me in 1976. I have been reloading .25-20 since then as well.

Last fall I attempted to use some cast bullets with poor results. I fire-lapped the barrel with NECO Lap to add some more years to it. Didn't work out, but not because of the lap process. My smith and I agreed that the cumulative effects of black powder, early century corrosive primers, and number of rounds had the barrel at end-of-life. We selected the barrel liner kit from Brownell's, and I'm delighted. Initial groups have all been about 1.2" at 100. FYI, to accomplish that, I added a 4x scope - these eyes will just not focus the iron sights anymore without bifocals.

Additionally, with the lack of brass to reload, I just completed forming 100 .25-20 from .32-20 available at my local shop. This was tedious, but very satisfying.

Is there a thread or place here for .25-20? I have a lot of hints and tips that I would love to exchange with others.
:questionmark:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlin Owners from the State of South Dakota
Welcome Aboard, Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

If you will go to the table of contents called forum and scroll up and down there you will find what you are seeking and a whole lot more. Best of luck to you. That was a great story about your Marlin and how you came to get it. That is real nice that it holds so much value to you. Hope you will post some pictures of it so we can enjoy it with you.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee! That's great that you hung onto that fine old rifle, plus renewed its lifespan. That is an heirloom to be protected and handed down to a future generation. We're glad that you joined us!

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Missouri! Great story and looking forward to a picture. I like the stories about bringing an old gun back to life, I think your in the right place.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Premium Member
6,440 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Welcome from NE Indiana.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Welcome aboard! I always enjoy reading about rifles passed down in family generations like yours. Glad you found the site menu section for info... enjoy.

Reactions: kybob

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Enjoy the forum........................

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Kansas!

·
Super Moderator
15,669 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Hello, Welcome to MarlinOwners from New York!!!
Glad to see you found MO's and nice to read about your 25-20 that's been around awhile and still goin strong...

I just picked up a 25-20 and I'm lookin forward to shootin it and learning about all it's uses.

Enjoy
BloodGroove4570

1 - 20 of 22 Posts