Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1541 - 1558 of 1558 Posts

·
Registered
13,503 Posts
9E302345-1248-414B-BD19-D9753258B039.jpeg I have an old Ideal single cavity mold for that bullet. It was missing HP pin when I got it. I made an adjustable job for depth or blank to pour solid. I poured a couple hundred out of pure 60/40 solder and they splatter birds.

·
Registered
46 Posts
View attachment 814505 I have an old Ideal single cavity mold for that bullet. It was missing HP pin when I got it. I made an adjustable job for depth or blank to pour solid. I poured a couple hundred out of pure 60/40 solder and they splatter birds.
I’ve never run these faster than 1035 FPS on small game.

I rolled these six up yesterday evening with the subsonic HP’s (about an hours walk through the desert behind my house).

I have run them faster during load development and 5.5 grains of Alliant 2400 and these 55 grain HP’s run 1400 FPS out of my Savage with very good accuracy and no leading.

I would imagine it would turn a jackrabbit inside out at that speed.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you want cast bullets, but not doing it yourself, visit: The Bull Shop at: bullshop.weebly.com/bullets.html

~Bullets ~

~Bullets ~
the bullshop makes nice bullets, and they are very well packaged for shipping too. good people to deal with.
Barry

·
Registered
91 Posts
Folks,

Been away quite a while. I recently retired and opened up my own enterprise. Visit me at Armory Rex if you are in the Eastern NE / Western IA area. I am having a ball helping people and business is booming because there are a lot of new firearms owners who need help. I also moderate a .25-20 WCF Facebook page ( Log into Facebook | Facebook ) which points here and encourages visitors to join here for the best .25-20 content anywhere. The challenge with a booming business is lack of time for my own pursuits. However, feel free to stop by and ask questions; I promise I will get back to you.

Armory Rex

Rex Johnson
[email protected]
Marlin 1894 .25-20 manufactured 1905

·
Registered
301 Posts
Your groups look about the same as I get out of my Winchester 92 with the same loads. Is that NOE bullet the RCBS type with the shallow lube groves?

I must add also that since I've stopped using Lee Alox and now using 60/40 bees wax and petroleum jelly my groups have gotten a whole lot more tidy. 😁

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Your groups look about the same as I get out of my Winchester 92 with the same loads. Is that NOE bullet the RCBS type with the shallow lube groves?

I must add also that since I've stopped using Lee Alox and now using 60/40 bees wax and petroleum jelly my groups have gotten a whole lot more tidy. 😁

The 60/40 blend is a good ratio. If interested, try Coconut oil vs petroleum jelly. There are two types you can buy in bulk. One has a low melt point (76 degrees) and the other a higher melt point (92 degrees). Bulk Apothecary is a good source for both the wax and coconut oil. Depending on your summer and winter weather, the two melt points of coconut oil help soften or harden the lube to match the temperature.

In general, softer lube improves accuracy. The retail mfg's just cannot use soft lube due to shipping damage. One other benefit to a softer lube, clean up. You are not cleaning out crayon from inside your barrel. The smell at the range is also noticeably more pleasing as well.

Reactions: LtFrankDrebbin

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Hi!
Finally got around to testing some cast loads in my 25-20 Kimber.
Used the NOE 89g PB mold and wheel weight alloy with water drop cooling
The help of many on this forum, especially 35 Remington, is greatly appreciated. More testing with 2400, etc.
Used Win SP primers
Jim
Used Starline brass necked down. View attachment 822606
Jim,

Don't overlook AA-1680 out of a rifle length barrel. I found 4227 did not produce the best accuracy. Good case fill with 1680, no fillers needed.

One other thing to try for improved accuracy. The case neck is thin on the 25-20. The pressures you are shooting are low so try a standard pistol primer or Rem 6 1/2. A standard small rifle primer will cause the bullet to jump before the powder ignites creating larger fps spread between a sting of shots.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
I am using Winchester small pistol primers
Thanks
Jim

Jim,

WSP's are my top choice as well for cast pistol cartridge loads. I also use the WLP primers for 28-30, 32-40, 38-55, and 45-70 cast loads. They just produce more consistent and smaller groups when shooting cast for me. The powders I use most are do not need much flame to light and burn clean.

Loren

Reactions: Ojaileveraction

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Be sure not to use 6 1/2s for upper end 25-20 loads as the primers will pierce. Other brands of small pistol primers will not do that. 6 1/2s are really intended for pressures comparable to or not much exceeding 38 Special Plus P (20,000 psi vicinity). They are not suitable for 9mm or 40 either, for whatever that is worth.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
35Rem,

Agreed, 6 1/2's are the go to for the 22 Hornet or other loads with similar pressures.

Reactions: Ojaileveraction

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Actually, PDP, I had a brain cramp. The ones to avoid and the ones I was mistakenly thinking of are the Remington 1 1/2s which are a thin cup mild small pistol primer and they will pierce with even lower pressures than the 6 1/2s will. 6 1/2s are fine for any sane 25-20 load. Was going through my primer stash and caught my gaffe. I have both 6 1/2 and 1 1/2s are they are very different.

6 1/2s will pierce at 223 pressures but no 25-20 loads should get anywhere near that high. I drifted away from using the Remingtons for the last couple of years and that accounts for the memory lapse. Looking at my records caught my error in nomenclature. Any primer suitable for 22 Hornet is fine for 25-20.

To clarify...6 1/2s are fine for 25-20....1 1/2s okay for 25-20 milder loads below about 22,000 psi. 1 1/2s should not be used for 9mm, 40, 357 Sig etc. as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone tried the Alliant 300MP in their 25/20? I gave it a try today and got good accuracy, one must use a hot primer. Tried using WSR and not impressive group at 50yd. Used a Rem 7 /12 with 5.5gr 300MP for velocity of 1300fps. Five shot group at 50yd .577", with fouler #6 opened it to .996". Using WSR same load measured 1.19, six shot being the fouler opened group to 1.957". Shot from Marlin 1894CL

1541 - 1558 of 1558 Posts