Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I have shot out of my .25-06 Encore is cast projectiles. I want to take it out for yotes. Anybody got a "go to" powder they like that always works well in the quarter bore?

What lighter projectiles do you swear by for yote/varmint applications?

Thanks, Fred.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
For the 87 gr. bullets I would use a slower powder----IMR or H4350, H380 or H414.

For the 75 gr. bullets try IMR or H4895.

Those are the powders that I use in my .257 Ackley Imp.

Hip

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
When I used that caliber for the same I used the heavier bullets because of the heavy wind out here. I preferred IMR4350 for most loads. I also used to hunt big game with the same cartridge and stayed in the heavier bullet selection for the same reason.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My max distance will only be 200 yards or so and for varmint/yote application, but I do know where you are coming from on that one.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Used it for long range up to 500+ yards. Living on the edge of the Continental divide I have a lot of wind.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My pet Fox load is a 75 gn. V-max over a decent charge of WW760. Used to use Mag. primers but just use STD. now and have had no troubles. This is a very flat shooting load that turns vermin into a bloody mess :eek:

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
I'm just using the same 115 gr Berger VLD bullets at nearly 3200 fps - that I use on mule deer. Never change the zero, just hunt coyotes with my deer load. Works just fine:

In the past, I've also used the 100 gr SPBT Sierra, with H4350 and also with H4831 - both with excellent results.

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
I used IMR4350 and Sierra 117gn Spitzer boatails.

The lighter bullets tend to drift too much at the non calling ranges with the rifles, the VLD mentioned would be my vote today very good bullets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
mine is strictly a yote or groundhog gun so 75gr sierra varminter hp over 59gr of h4831sc, standard primer... about 3650fps and knocks em flat...

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
swany said:
I used IMR4350 and Sierra 117gn Spitzer boatails.

The lighter bullets tend to drift too much at the non calling ranges with the rifles, the VLD mentioned would be my vote today very good bullets.
8) That's the exact combination that I used. ;D

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
I had a 1-12 25-06 put together to use the lighter bullets in for varmit and target work.

That gun would shoot a 87gn spire pt with a book overload of 3gns of H4895 using fed 215M and LC 68 Match brass 30-06 necked to 25-06 around every ten rounds would pierce a primer had that clocked at my gun club at a shade of 4000fps not a thing I would want to tempt fate with today, but I still have that bbl and action the bbl leans in the corner the action has a varmit wgt 7mm/06 bbl on it today action is well. Lot to say for a Rem 722 short action and a welded floor plate in it.

Next load that gun would shoot was that 117 Sierra Boat Tail. Even that hot sizzling 87gn bullet could not hold a long range candle to the big sierra. The VLD 115 in my opine would be a better bullet wish they had it back then.

With the sierra I was .5 gn over book with IMR4350 with the rest of the components the same. Way safer than the lighter bullets load. Mind you with that mil surp brass that weighed a full 10 gn more than an RP case that was scary. Never clocked the speed on the big bullet, but does a 600 yd pheasant count? (Hey the guy said he would clean it.) Many yotes and chucks at over 500 farmer had 15,000 acres of various land and did not want a lot of critters eating feed lots and did not want the yotes feeding at all. Had fun many weekends and hours on that fellas land and gave me deer hunting access to most of it for many years just because I asked if I could shoot woodchuck on his fields. The man was a good Christian but almost cussed giving me permission. First time out he brought me a detailed map of his property with chuck and coyote sightings marked, later he added deer sightings. Wish he was still around.

Bottom line your not doing the 25-06 justice with any bullet under 100gns for it's potential unless shorter range how should I say it "Vaporizations" are recorded. I can not believe what mine would do to a turkeys head at 200 yds with the lighter bullet still cruising pretty fast most often the fellas working the pits did not need the knife or axe. Chicken eggs at the same distance in novelty matches would sound like a wet towel against concrete on a center mass hit. Then you heard the gun go off. Lot of times on one viewing angle you would get the crack of the bullet then the egg vaporizing pop and the finally the gunshot talk about a fun audio.

Most often the larger higher BC bullets at the high rates of speed the 25-06 shoots them at will shoot flatter than the lighter bullets starting at around 250 and beyond. My percentages went way up with the heavier bullets.

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
I find that pelt damage, already high with varmint weight bullets in the larger cased calibers, goes up dramatically with deer weight bullets. If I get lucky and enough tissue is traversed, the exit may be small with a lighter varmint bullet. Or at least smallish.

With a heavy, and at calling ranges, not so. Damage is dramatic and is only for those not interested in hides at all.

Which is, I suspect, most of us. The long range or extermination type coyote hunter cares not one bit. And in this part of Nebraska coyote hides never did bring much, even when they were at their price peak.

So I have done things like shoot coyotes with 130 grain .270's, 150 grain 30-06's, and 117 grain .257 Roberts bullets and marveled at the giant holes in the extremely dead coyotes when shot at typical ranges for calling.

Boy....if they could be called extra dead, these sure were! I suspect a 117 or 120 out of a 25-06 would do the very same thing. I note the characteristics of the VLD bullets may counteract this tendency somewhat on a coyote, but that's probably the only bullet of heavier weight likely to do so. The others of more conventional construction make big holes.

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
35 - at the time I deliberately didn't take a photo of the off-side of that coyote with the blood behind it... I'd say about 1/3 of the other side of the torso had been skinned by the 115 gr Berger on exit... It was pretty harsh. About the same though with a 100 gr Sierra soft point.

But you're right. I'm mostly out there to cut their numbers down, don't really care if I keep the skins or not - with the exception of that one I had turned into a rug a few years back.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Nice rug too Guy, the load with the 75 V-max is generally used between 150-250 yards, have taken a few over 300 but this is the exception due to terrain and the fact that this is under a spotlight. Have other slugs as well but the little V-max shoots so well in my rifle I haven't felt the need to try anything else. Anything that comes in a box with "Sierra" stamped on it is worth a go too IMHO.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Not sure how this bullet groups out at 200 or 300 yds but the range I go to is only 100 yds.
I would guess it be around 3300 fps. Amazing 100yd group though.
90 gr Sierra HP over 46 gr of Reloader 15. CCI primer---- WOW

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I like the 100 to 115 gr bullets for coyotes. So long as you stay off the big bones, damage is not excessive.
I hunt coyotes with a 257 Roberts and shot these two this winter.
This coyote was shot with a 110 gr AB at a MV 2974 fps, range was 80 yds, exit wound showing

This coyote was shot with the 100 gr BT at a MV 3050 fps, range 100 yds, exit would showing.

Both of these loads shoot to the exact POI at 100 yds.

JD338

1 - 18 of 18 Posts