Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just stumbled into a great deal on a lightly used Ruger Number One "varminter" in .25-06 Rem... The rifle has a 24" semi-heavy barrel, and right now I've got it set up with a 2-7x Leupold that wasn't doing anything important. The plan is to upgrade it with a 4.5-14x or 6.5-20x scope when cash permits.

First outing it put three, 120 grain factory loaded Remington core-lockt's into a 1/2" group. Two were touching, one just a bit out to the side... Very impressive for a factory rifle with factory hunting ammo.

Any recommendations for a varmint/predator and/or deer load?

I plan on taking the Ruger out for a fair amount of predator hunting, and quite possibly making it my first choice for longer-range deer hunting.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sounds to me like you've already found all the deer load a man will ever need. A whole string of .25-06s have given me excellent results with 47.5 grains of IMR 4350 under 115 to 120 grain bullets. Exactly which bullet varied by rifle. You already know yours likes Remington which are about the cheapest thing out there.

Rather oddly, I have generally gotten the best accuracy from the heaviest and the lightest bullets. 75 grain Sierras pushed just as fast as I could push them have done well for me in rifles that did not like any of the mid weight bullets.

It would be tempting to just shoot everything with 100 grain bullets at about 3300 fps, but somehow that has never worked out for me.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My friend has the identical rifle. He uses 100 gr. Barnes X bullets in his for deer. He says it flattens 'em as quick as anything he's ever seen.

·
Premium Member
12,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Still waiting on the seating die, but I have the neck-sizer die and one bushing to try. Will start handloading for this rifle shortly. Am going to try the 100 grain Sierra SPBT to start, loading initially at the 3000 fps level and working up towards 3300 fps with Hodgdon's H4831 because that's what I've got on hand...

I agree that with results like the Rem factory ammo gave me - I need look no further for a good deer load... Will have to shoot a bit more of it and see if it is consistent over time, and at longer ranges. That was the first trip to the range with this rifle.

So far, so good. Regards, Guy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts