Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I would worry that the platform for the conversion is inappropriate. I've not seen or heard of a Handi-Rifle in any of the belted magnums. The Weatherby's operate at pretty stiff pressures, can't quote any off hand but perhaps 60,000cup maybe north of that a bit. If someone doesn't chime in I'll look it up. That 25-06 of yours is a little less. and smaller in case head. As in, larger case means removing steel up there close to your face. The improved has possibilities, and it should increase velocities 100fps. In you were lucky a little more.

Play it safe and pick up a Savage 110. Swapping barrels, and bolt heads is easy enough. And, after a fun day of shooting, you come home at night. I love the H&R guns, had several over the years. Very underrated as to value and performance but they can't do it all. I would avoid that conversion.

How bout a good range finder? For the trajectory difference, I shouldn't think all that much of a gain. I know, once you get the itch, logic has little to do with it. Been there, done that, got the t shirt. Why is it always the wrong size?

Oh, and welcome to MO. It's a good place with a lot of good natured folks. Well there is that one guy. Steve

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't use the Handi rifles at all but would agree with the first reply. The AI might get you 100 fps give or take with heavy enough bullets (100 grs & up) to take good advantage of the velocity far downrange if that is really practical with a rifle in that weight class. Another thing to consider is how long will it be before the barrel is burned out-the weatherby .257 is the only caliber that I have burned out a barrel with, two of them actualy and according to records both were shot out before 750 rounds. Get a bolt rifle if you want to play with that caliber and don't shoot it fast enough to burn your fingers on the barrel.

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
My family has long owned a .257 Weatherby, on a Mauser action. My youngest son shoots it now.

I'm addicted to my .25-06 for mule deer, coyote and pronghorn antelope hunting.

In the field, I fail to see much practical difference between the two cartridges. They're both very, very good. It's amazing that the .257 Wby is still at the top of the heap for .25 cal rifle cartridges in production after 60+ years!

For me, the conversion of the Handi Rifle wouldn't be worth it. Just do some careful handloading with the .25-06, and you'll see excellent results. I mean heck, I popped a coyote at 420 yards, holding on that dog, using a 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip loaded to about 3120 fps. Have also taken mule deer to 400 yards, and several other mulies over the years from 20 yards to that 400 yard deer. Load 'em warm, but within published guidelines, sight in a slick bullet at 300 yards, and go fill tags! :biggrin:

The .257 Wby is very cool, but the conversion wouldn't be worth it to me.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Welcome aboard asbrown...
All the above comments are knowledgable and on the mark. I'm on my second 25-06. It is right at the top without being overbore. As mentioned the 257Weatherby will burn out barrels. Not if you just take it deer hunting, but using it as an all around gun will shoot out the barrel. It is just enough overbore you don't get much improvement for the amount of powder increase involved.

I vote you leave your 25-06 alone and buy a Weatherby Vanguard if you want to try the 257Weatherby. If your not happy with the Wetherby you can sell it and your Handi-rifle is ready to go for another hunting season.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've had quite a few rifles in 25-06. At this time have a Rem 700 Black stainless. Great. Have an Encore 26 in barrel. Also great. I loaded
That cart for years. Just don't see rechambering. My opinion. I've built Mausers and Remington. Had 25-06 AI too. If you watch your loading and be careful you can run a 100 grain bullet at 3500 fps and a 120 at 3200 fps. Nothing to sneeze at. That is with the standard chambering. The AI is another 100 to 150 fps but, need to use care. Load only for a rifle that you've worked the loads up in. Not for a friends rifle. Don't know if a Handi Rifle has thick enough and strong enough chamber. I would call David White and quiz him on this before doing. That man has a ton of experience with Handi's. Not saying you don't but I can't make a blanket statement. I know they chamber the 500 Smith in a Handi but, I would still call David White.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.