Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't get to shoot the .25-06 enough yesterday to keep me happy, so I hauled it out to the rifle range with me again today. Had some 5 year old ammo loaded with 115 gr Berger VLD bullets to burn up, and some 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip ammo loaded a couple of days ago to confirm my zero with as well. This rifle is the one I choose for hunting most often the past 9 years or so. It's done great on mule deer, pronghorn and coyotes. Love that fixed 6x Leupold!

Plinked around a little from sitting & prone, unsupported except for the sling, at 300 yards. Here's a photo of my last two shots, from prone/sling at 300. I think she's ready:

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
More good shooting... Looks like the Muleys in your neck of the woods better keep their stotting form up to par. :biggrin:

You heading to Wyoming again? Seems like you mentioned something about Pronghorns out east some time ago.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I know you've hunted plenty in Wyoming - - Just remember that "Wyoming" is an ol' Cheyenne word which, when properly and literally translated, means "Frikkin' Wind..." :biggrin:

The only good part about all that wind on the Wyoming prairie is that it's usually pretty constant and isn't nearly as prone to swirling around on us like up in the mountains. One of these days, I'll be hunting in Wyoming again - - just hope I'm not too old to enjoy it. And, like always, I reckon I'm not alone in saying that we're all looking forward to some more great photos come fall.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I like the 25-06 cartridge. My girlfriend used to use a .243 Winchester Model 700 SPS with good effect but a few years back I got her a S&W I-Bolt rifle which is no longer made in 25-06 to give her a bit more range. The barrel/action on those rifles were made by Thompson Center and suffice to say with Hornady 117gr SST loads they are devastating on whitetail. :tee:

·
Registered
858 Posts
I love the .25-06; I have two. It's probably the most versatile cartridge around for most medium big game, and will work reasonably well as a varmint round, too. Field shooting at 300 yds is a great idea that confirms zero and builds confidence; most shooters I see won't get away from the 100 yd bench.
Bob

Sako AV .25-06 with a few custom touches

Ruger No 1 .25-06, with 24" barrel and Circassian walnut. Scope is a 6X Leupold. Perfect combo for most medium game

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update on this older thread. Though I hunted with the bigger brother to this rifle last year, a Rem 700 CDL in .30-06, the .25-06 has been a terrific rifle for me:

2005:

2007:

2008:

2009's little buck:

2012:

2014:

Along the way there were a couple of doe mule deer taken, and a few coyotes. Ya, that .25-06 has proven to be one heck of a good rifle for me. I did have it pillar bedded, and the barrel free-floated, as well as setting the trigger to three pounds. Favorite load is the 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, over enough Retumbo to churn up 3120 fps with good accuracy. I've taken game from about 20 yards to over 400 yards with it. Deadly, soft-kicking, and accurate.

Call me a fan of the .25-06, I'll admit it!

Guy

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update - my 6x Leupold with the 42mm obj had been loaned out to a friend... Ya, ya... We will see how that works out... And I saw that several places had the smaller 6x with the 36mm obj & "long range dots" on sale at a mere $300, so I bought one, plopped it on the .25-06, sighted it in at 200 yards. The first "dot" in the reticle works out very nicely at about 325 yards. I haven't tried the longer-range dots yet.

Perhaps there's a coyote out there to help me test the next dot in the scope?

Guy

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey Guy,

Glad you got a nice "glass" for that 25-06 (that's a "Hyphenated")!!

May the "ticky dogs" oblige you!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
The 25-06 is an excellent cartridge. I have a Steyr Prohunter in 25-06.

A few years ago I was reading an article on the effectiveness of various cartridges when used to hunt deer. The ability to accurately shoot a given caliber was essentially factored in as the data was actual shots taken on game and the result.

The research included detailed, extensive records of a big hunting ranch (in South Texas I think) that covered decades of hunting. The most successful caliber used by hunters on that ranch was 25 caliber. That included the 25-06 and the 250 Savage. The records included distance, if any, the wounded deer was trailed and so forth. The 25 was the clear winner.

T.S.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Nice shooting and beautiful rifle. I'd never heard about the .25-06 until my hunting buddy, his brother and Uncle shot a charging black bear.

.35Rem, .25-06 and 12ga ended that trip. On cutting him open they found a bunch of bird shot and .22s most likely from people defending their bird feeders. If I find the post I'll add it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts