Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:biggrin:I was just given a savage axis 243 with a scope, now I need some advice on loads. I'm thinking of 2 loads, a whitetail load and a varmint load. Factory ammo will probably be used for now to build up some brass, but it was painful paying 26$ for a box of federal fusions today, first factory centerfire I have purchased since I started reloading for my 30-30's. The 243 will be mostly a varmint/target rifle, with the 30-30's doing the deer hunting so emphasis will first be on long range accuracy for varmints, the deer load will come later. Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Once you shoot a deer with a .243 you won't go back to the 30-30. It's a laser and a hammer all in one. Since you hand load buy about 200 rounds of .308 and resize them they will last forever in a 243. I would work up a good "deer" load and shoot varmints with it. A yodel dog will fall just as hard to a deer bullet. Now a prairie dog will explode better with a dedicated varmint bullet. It's just a wicked caliber. I think you will enjoy it thouraly.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Cabela's and other stores like it sell bulk ammo in 243
some decent bullets too
I have had best luck with hornady sst heads in several grains
but every rifle will find what it likes best if you play with reloading, from heads to powders to how far you seat a bullet or not
once you find the right mix, you can have some super accurate hunting /target shooting
Savage's are known to be very accurate rifles too

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
:biggrin:I was just given a savage axis 243 with a scope, now I need some advice on loads. I'm thinking of 2 loads, a whitetail load and a varmint load. Factory ammo will probably be used for now to build up some brass, but it was painful paying 26$ for a box of federal fusions today, first factory centerfire I have purchased since I started reloading for my 30-30's. The 243 will be mostly a varmint/target rifle, with the 30-30's doing the deer hunting so emphasis will first be on long range accuracy for varmints, the deer load will come later. Thanks for any thoughts.
You'll love your 243... They are a real jewel of a cal.
Heres what I have used sinse the early 80's it works on groundhogs as well as whitetails.

35grs 4064 powder
primer of your choice
100gr bullet.. I like sierra the best.... psp or boattails...100 for about $25-$35

Just got done loading some old nosler solid base bullets I had and they made one raged hole.
4064 may not be the #1 pick on powder but I can't complain at all....it works great in my rem. 742 ....243
work up and you'll find what works best in your gun...
Enjoy your rifle... :tee: CWT

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
We run the 90 grain Accubonds and 70 grain BT for a general easy shooting varmint bullet. I use a lot of RL19 in my boys 243. Easy to load for and real easy to shoot. Great score!

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I shoot the 80gr GMX with H4831 for deer.

I shoot the 105 HPBT Match with H1000 on steel out to 800yds.

I used to shoot the 70gr BlitzKing with H4895 for varmints but I would just use the 105 BTHP now.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Work closely with Federal Government (USDA) Wildlife Biologists, read government hunters. These folks have a ton of experience shooting deer and various varmits off federal facilities and other contracts. They can get any ammo they want. When using a 243, they shoot the 95gr Nosler Partition out of the 243 for everything.

Reactions: GaCop

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
If your axis is like the .308 axis I bought my son, it shoots everything under an inch.....factory, 150's, 165's, light, hot........really amazing. My 700 in the same caliber is quite a bit more finicky. Buy different stuff, if it likes everything loading for it will be easy.

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
Swany pretty well summed it up

·
Registered
92 Posts
I recently rehabbed and glass-bedded my brother's older Rem 788 in 243, and made up a new batch of loads for him. I couldn't find 95 Partitions or 90 Accubonds, and chose instead to try the 85gr TSX. Test loads showed excellent velocity and accuracy (>1") with Hunter and IMR 4831 powders, but as discussed above there are lots of good choices. I ended up selecting IMR 4831 for a slight edge in accuracy, and I had more available. 85gr will work for both varmits and deer/hog as an all-purpose load, which was my goal.

KLD

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I have 3, 243's. I shoot my Browning A-Bolt mostly. Here's info for it,

I shoot 70gr Nosler ballistic tip for varmint and 100gr Partition for big game. I load both with H380 (different loadings per gr. bullet) and they shoot to same POI. I worked up a load that for both will shoot one little ragged hole. Scary Accurate!!! :tee:

I've always been a fan of the 243 since I first tried a friends out. It just flat out works, IF YOU DO YOUR PART!!! The 243 is a caliber that seems you either love it or hate it, I'm the former... :biggrin:

Enjoy
BloodGroove4570

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Looking at the recommendations made, they must be popular. Only two items of all of the recommendations made is even available from Natchez, Midway, Precision, or Powder Valley. CWT's 4064, and Swany's 100gr Sierra. You will encounter some prejudice against Sierra's bullets, and spitting the core is a common complaint. The opinion is usually endorsed by shooters that have never owned a single box of them in their lives. I inventory Sierra's in .224/.243/7mm/.308(30-30)/.358, along with Speer, Hornady and Nosler. They are all very fine bullets with +/- features. Sierra bullets are usually available, +, are often the most accurate, +, affordable, +, and if you push them past their design envelope will spit the core, -.

Adapting to reality, 4064 is an OK powder in the .243, and the .30-30 with a range of bullet weights, and 8lbs wouldn't be a bad call for a supply. I never run out of Sierra bullets for either cartridge. Midway has inventory on the 100gr Sierra's, and some pricier designs, good luck with .30-30 bullets if you don't want cast. I have about 500, 100gr Sierra Pro Hunters in .243, as they shoot well in almost any .243, and they are consistent performers on deer and antelope at any range a shot with a .243 is ethical. With supply as it now exists, I'd stretch my wallet a bit to have five or six boxes, based on 40+ years of using them in multiple .243's.

I know the thread is not about .30-30, but try to get a decent bullet on back order. For deer, any 150gr bullet from Speer, Sierra, or Hornady is gonna work. Over time, I have built a stock of all three, because they are all good. I like the Speer 170's, and Sierra 170's a lot. The Speer 130gr FP is a sleeper for smaller deer and probably antelope, in open country. By coincidence, I have never used the Hornady 170's. But grab a couple boxes of 150/170gr bullets. For the forseeable future, it's not stockpiling, is having something to shoot and hunt with. I'm not a Sierra/Speer sales or marketing guy, but the Speer/Sierra bullets for the .30-30 are real good candidates best in class. If you see, buy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am going to first try some 55 and 70 grain purple tipped nosler varmint bullets with varget - because --- that is what the local gunshop has and uses himself. He ordered the dies for me yesterday and that gives me a couple weeks to shoot off some factory ammo to reload.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
This is a very accurate and deadly antelope load for long distance shooting:
- 90 grain Speer bullet
- 43.0 grains IMR 4350

I didn't give up my 30-30 yet for deer. 30-30 rules the forest and foothills!

TR

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.