Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be using my Savage 110/.243 a little more this coming season for deer. Last year I took one deer with it using Winchester 100gr soft point factory ammo.... whacked it in the melon and dropped on the spot. The exit was about the size of a nickel, however that was the melon. Will the exit wound from a .243 on a "body shot" leave a decent blood trail in case I have to track one? I've never recovered a .243 boolit so I have no idea how much they expand...

G

·
The potential size of the expanded bullet for a .243 is limited by it's small caliber, so you will want to make the most of any expansion you get inside the deer, as once it exits it doesn't matter how big or small it is or how far it goes from there. Use the best controlled expansion bullet you can get for that caliber then, one that stays together, expands while still inside the deer and that gives good accuracy. The Barnes offerings come to mind, check them out.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
LT have a look :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETMXJk5y8Ho

shows expansion and recovery weight. The barnes is a good bullet, but if you gonna shoot it in the head a balistic tip 55gr gonna hammer them everytime :)

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
I'm a big fan of the low-recoiling, flat-shooting .24 & .25 cal rifles for deer hunting. My son and I have taken a mess of mulies over the years with the 6mm Rem and the .25-06 rifles. Grandpa used a .257 Weatherby. All the deer have fallen to 95 - 115 gr bullets and almost all have died instantly. Sometimes there's no exit wound with such a small bullet.

A couple of recommendations for a deer bullet in 6mm/.243" dia:

100 gr Nosler Partition - this is surprisingly accurate from our old 6mm Rem, still gets 3,000 fps, and sub one-inch groups at 100 yards from a standard Remington 700 BDL. Penetration is excellent. I don't have a photo of a recovered 100 gr .24 cal bullet, but here's a photo of a recovered 115 gr .25 cal bullet:

Another excellent choice is the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. You'll hear a lot of guys say stuff like "The Ballistic Tip blows up and won't penetrate." In my experience, that's utter nonsense. The Ballistic Tip bullets were revised a long time ago, perhaps 20 years ago, and cured their over-expansion tendencies with a much heavier jacket at the base of the bullet.

The 95 gr Ballistic Tip is the most 6mm accurate hunting bullet we've used. It always produces sub 3/4" groups at 100 yards from a beat-up 35 year old Remington. As an example of performance, my son hit a 150 - 175 pound mule deer doe at nearly 300 yards. The 95 gr Ballistic Tip went just behind the fore-leg, tore up the lungs and heart in a big way, exited, shattering the off-side leg bone on the way out. The doe dropped dead instantly.

Not much of a blood trail, she just fell straight down.

Exits you'll get at least some of the time with the two bullets listed above - not likely every time - but at least some of the time. We haven't recovered one yet, they have penetrated completely every time for us. Will you get a blood trail? I don't know. Our deer have all dropped where we shot them.

Best of luck this season! Guy

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Hi Guy how you been. We haven't got LT to get a reloader yet so the Nosler Partition is out :) But I'm loaded with it under 3000fps.
That 257 is one flat shooter but at those velocity's you need to get the animal a little farther from the muzzle :)
I would not hunt with a 55 B. tip but a head shot would drop em in their tracks :)

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for all the replies 8) I'll be restricted to using factory ammo... was just wondering what experiences folks had with 100gr Winchesters along with Core-Lokts and Federals. It seems odd to use a boolit that little when I'm used to hunting with a .35Rem 200gr ::)

And one more thing, the deer here in Ga aren't that big compared to other parts of the country. Both does I've taken recently were in the 110-115lb range. I haven't seen a buck worth taking at yet ::)

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
Good news: the Nosler Partition is avail in Federal factory ammo!

Federal calls it the P243E, and it slings a 100 gr Nosler Partition at 2850 fps. Given the results I've seen from other Federal rifle ammo, it's likely accurate too.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=214

I've taken mule deer as heavy as 250+ pounds with a mere 115 grain bullet. Instant drop. Place it where it belongs and it will do fine.

Me - thanks for asking. I'm doing well. Been doing a lot of hiking, some swimming. A fair bit of shooting. My hiking trips are often scouting for mule deer. Have been out for black bear twice already. My son spotted one on Friday, and we went after the big boy. Didn't seal the deal, but we made a great 3/4 mile stalk to close with him. Then he gave us the slip in the brush. I was carrying the .375 H&H and my son had the family .30-06

Best of luck! Guy

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
LT,
Remington or Winchester factory 100gr ammo will work fine on 100-150lb deer. My only experience with a 243 using factory ammo was an out of state hunt with a borrowed rifle. Shot a TX 8 point buck thru heart and lungs board side. Very good expansion and blood trail, however the deer spun around and only took 5 steps, so there wasn't much trail to follow.

·
Premium Member
11,962 Posts
Agree - the standard 100 grain soft-point stuff really is just about perfect for most deer hunting. Mild recoil, accurate and lethal.

·
Registered
398 Posts
A good friend of mine uses Rem core-lokts 100gn or Fed premium loaded with 85gn Barnes in his Savage mod. 16 with very good results with the Barnes load.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx again for all the replies :D I've read the boolit choice with a .243 is a little more critical than say a 30-30. I just wanted to make sure I had the right 100gr boolit when I take the .243 hunting this season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts