Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody try it and how doe's it work? I am using 15grs. of Unique now and it about shoots one hole at 50yds and less than 2" at 100yds. Will 2400 do this at 1500fps.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
bandolier, probably not much help since I don't shoot hardcast and never have been able to put em in one hole.

But I have shot 2400 with a 400gr cast bullet. My notes show I had decent results with 24.5 and 25gr of 2400 out of a 16.5" 1895 STBL for very close to 1400fps. Cloverleaf and two pairs right close off a bag and with iron sights. I don't want to get any faster than that. 1400fps is a peak for penetration purposes so faster does not interest me.

but if you can do one hole with Unique - odds are you can repeat it with another powder. 2400 might even be as heavily used there as Unique. You have a manual? If not, Lyman 4th is a good resource.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
23.5 gr of 2400 from my Cowboy did the trick, and that long barrel produced right at 1,500 fps for me. Accuracy was great. Chrono results were very uniform - - consistent. Recoil was very mild. If it wasn't for my Son commandeering that rifle, that's the load I would still be shooting in it.

·
Banned
303 Posts
Bandolier,
I've been shooting 2400 in my Cowboy with 405 grain bullets I cast and water quench, so I don't know if they're "hard" or not, but I've been consistently able to shoot 3/4 inch groups from the bench at 100 yards, so I see no reason that it wouldn't work for you. I've been shooting 20 grains of 2400, which is admittedly a somewhat wimpy load, but when one is launching a Volkswagen size projectile, velocity doesn't matter much. Besides, my 66 year old shoulder appreciates the lack of pain involved in shooting 100 rounds in a T-shirt.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
bandolier,

First the term, "hard Cast" is so overused as to be meaningless.

To my knowledge, no one has established any recognized numbers as to what would constitute, "hard cast".

Harder then what? Harder then Wheel Weights? Harder then WW that are water quenched? Harder then Lyman #2? Harder then Linotype?

Guess you see my point.

Be that as it may, if you use a cast bullet with a good design, something with a large meplat or Wide Flat Nose (WFN) profile in the velocity range of about 1500 - 1700fps you will have a very effective deer load indeed!

I have seen the negative results of overkill with a 355gr WFN started at about 2300fps and when compared to the 465gr WFN I have used on a number of deer and 2 elk, starting at about 1650fps, the heavier and slower projectile is just soooooo much better.

Highly effective, very deadly and much less destructive.

Alloy is a 50/50 - Wheel Weights/lead, water quenched as they fall from the mold.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
FWIW, the old Lyman #2 alloy comes in at around 15 BHN and has traditionally been called the standard of "Hard-Cast"... If you water quench the old Lyman #2 fresh from the mold, it brings it up to 17 or 18 BHN, but that is only a surface hardening. If you heat-treat bullets cast from Lyman #2, that will bring the hardness up to 21 or 22 BHN and that hardening is deeper than just surface hardening.

I've shot 0.459" boolits cast from Lyman #2 (with no quenching or heat-treating) from my 1895CB upwards of 1,650 fps with no issues or serious leading. I've run the same alloy boolits (following a heat-treat process) to upwards of 1,850 fps with no issues. And again, boolits cast from Lyman #2, heat-treated, and gas-checked at upwards of 2,250 fps with no issues.

For more discussion on 2400 under 405 gr cast rounds from the .45-70, do yourself a favor and run a search on this site for the "Dr. A Load" - - and you will come up with a butt-load of data and ideas.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Im with you Crusty.... no one has ever come up with a number to distinguish what is "Hard Cast" Wasnt 30:1 considered Hard Cast? thats 30 parts pure lead and 1 part Tin, no antimony at all so it wouldnt even heat treat.

Im with you though, mine are just "Cast Boolits"

Doc

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Great thread. 2400 is one of those tough powders to find ring now. I've got a slew of cast 405's.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I shot 25gr, 27gr, 29, and 31gr. with 2400 off the bench yesterday and the 27 gr. grouped the best. All I shoot is 405 gr. cast.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Johnme,

Your getting there, but --------------

Now that you have shot, 25, 27, 29 and 31gr, and apparently with no pressure or safety issues, you need to go back and shoot 25.5, 26, 26.5, 27, 27.5 and 28gr.

You have some huge gaps in your testing data and many times, 1/2 of a grain makes a huge difference in group size.

If indeed 27gr does again show to be the apparent "sweet" spot, be sure and re-test those loads a number of times and best, 1/2gr. above and below.

I have a good number of test targets on hand, some of which show nice groups, worthy of retesting, and MANY times that load never again shot as well as it did on that first target.

Your well on your way, just close the gaps in your data and let us know the results.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
203 Posts
Johnme,

Your getting there, but --------------

Now that you have shot, 25, 27, 29 and 31gr, and apparently with no pressure or safety issues, you need to go back and shoot 25.5, 26, 26.5, 27, 27.5 and 28gr.

You have some huge gaps in your testing data and many times, 1/2 of a grain makes a huge difference in group size.

If indeed 27gr does again show to be the apparent "sweet" spot, be sure and re-test those loads a number of times and best, 1/2gr. above and below.

I have a good number of test targets on hand, some of which show nice groups, worthy of retesting, and MANY times that load never again shot as well as it did on that first target.

Your well on your way, just close the gaps in your data and let us know the results.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
I'll second that motion.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I shot 25gr, 27gr, 29, and 31gr. with 2400 off the bench yesterday and the 27 gr. grouped the best. All I shoot is 405 gr. cast.
These numbers are certainly over Lyman 47, which is the last data I have located for this bullet and powder combination. I would guess your pressures are in the Ruger area for sure...

25 grains is the max for Marlins.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts