Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few pounds of Hercules 2400 left and a pound of the newer Alliant 2400. Being the curious type I loaded up some 240g 44 mag bullets over 18.7 g of each and took them to the range to shoot over my chrony with my 1894.

Speer 240g JSP
Hercules = 1556 avg *most accurate load of the day.
Alliant = 1513 fps avg.

Montana Gold JSP
Hercules = 1559 fps avg would have been the most accurate group but had one or two fliers in each string that expanded the group. It was probably me as I don't shoot my best when I'm shooting through a chronograph.
Alliant = 1531 fps avg

The older Hercules 2400 did seem to be dirtier. On this day it produced better accuracy and velocity in both my 1894 and my Ruger Blackhack (45 Colt)

I didn't have enough Remington 240g SJHP to try the Hercules 2400 but I did shoot them with the Alliant 2400. It has been the least accurate bullet in my 1894 that I've tried. Alliant = 1584 fps

I also shot some Montana Gold JHP over the Alliant 2400 and it produced the highest avg velocity of 1568 avg. This has been my most accurate load in the past.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The Hercules vs Alliant question is one I've had too since I picked up some canisters of Hercules stuff from a fellow who moved a year ago. I have been finding some great loads with the pre-buyout powders, some of which I haven't used before or not in certain cartridges anyway. My big Q is, will I get similar results with the new Alliant versions? I guess time will tell. My 218 Bee really has taken a shine to the old 2400 and Red Dot is a fine mild load powder for the 45 Colt.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Golsavia tell me more about your Red Dot 45 Colt load. I have some left over from shotgun reloading that I wouldn't mind using up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts