Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
24" or 20" barrell for a 336 .30/.30

i am new to the forum, and need advice. i have decided to buy a marlin 336 in 30/30. i will be using the gun for target shooting at the range at first, then hunting deer and hogs later.

i want to know if there is an advantage to getting an older gun with the 24 inch barrel instead of a new one with the 20 inch barrel. the range i shoot at has a 200 yard maximum distance, and i would imagine that is the longest shot i would take at a deer. so would i be better off with the 24" or 20" barrell?

·
Registered
482 Posts

To give you the best answer I could use some more information. What kind of sighting set up are you going to use? Open sights tend to be more accurate the longer the sight radius is so the 24" is better. Also you will get or should get closer to published velocities from the longer barrel. And finally the lack of bands like the carbines helps the older A's shoot more consistent strings as the barrel heats up.

But Dad has a 20" carbine that hangs in there right nice with my A. And the 20" .35 I have turns in some real good groups especially with factory green box.

Mostly it will end up being your preference. Where I hunt it is real thick but so far the longer barrel hasn't been a problem and in my limited experience the accuracy difference is about the same as you would have between any two guns.

Not much help I know and there are guys here who really know about these guns. So hopefully they will correct any mis information I may have given you.

IMO out to 200 yrds if your shooting is up to the task so will your 30-30 wether it be a rifle or a carbine.

Brian

·
Registered
482 Posts

Sorry got wrapped up in answering your Q I forgot to welcome you aboard!

And for what it's worth I personally love those long barreled A's and they ain't makin' no more. So my thought would be to get the 24" now and if'n ya want pick up a carbine any time in the future.

Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

thanks for the welcome. if i get an older 24", then i'll use the sights or a scope if it has one. the sporting goods store i was at today has a new 336 with a scope as a package, but its a 20". good price though, $289. i tend to think that within 100 yards, i would shoot well with just the sights, but beyond that, maybe the scope would be in order.

if i do use a scope, what distance should i set it for being that 200 yards would probably be the farthest shot i would take at a deer?

·
Registered
482 Posts

That will depend on the ammo and your gun but, if you are getting around 2200 fps or so 3" high at 100 is down about the same or ~3" low at 200. That's using a scope the figures are a bit different on open sights. Where do you hunt? As in what type of shots do you really expect to be able to take? Even down fire breaks and stuff around here 100 yards is fairly long and 150 is about tops.

As far as sights go that will depend on how well you shoot with them on that gun. Best way I know to practice, at least for me is to get out with paper plates and shoot at them. Once the rifle is sighted in I shoot from field postitions until I keep them all on the plate at what ever range/postion and that determines how far I can shoot. Personally off hand with a scope 100 yards works well but a friend of mine better have a rest of some sort to do the same. He's getting better but needs more practice.

Nothing replaces range time and the best range time is not from the bench. I don't know how good your eyes are either, if you can see well and are steady you might find 200 yards with open sights from some postions isn't that hard for you. Then again 50 yards might be a challenge.

One more variable is teh sights them selves. I have shot some that are good sights but for what ever reason don't work well for me.

Since you intend to shoot targets more than game for starters remember small groups look good but any thing that stays in the vital area of a deer consistently will work consistently. Small groups just make that much easier but for hunting purposes always putting you shot in the right place is all that matters. Get some of those life sized targets with the vitals marked off and you will see what I'm talking about.

Wow it must be late as I'm starting to ramble. :lol:

The best answer to your question would have been sight in 3" high at 100 yards then move back to 200 and see where it goes. If you are still in a center hold kill zone great if not adjust up until you are just there or remember how far too low yuo hit at 200 and hold over that much. Personally I ahve been happy with dighting dead on or an inch high at 100 and would put the horizontal cross hair on or just under the line of the deers back for hold over.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

thanks alot guys, i really appreciate all the help. i am still wondering about the advantages of the 24" barrell over the 20" though. would that make the trajectory flatter if the barrell was longer?

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts

You probably won't be able to notice the difference in trajectory between the two barrel lengths. The longer barrel might feel better shooting offhand due to a little extra muzzle weight, but the shorter barrel might feel quicker on target. Get the one that feels better to you. Heck, get them both and report back!

·
Registered
422 Posts

I have a 30/30 in both 20" and 24" configurations. I realize about 100 fps more velocity out of the 24" barrel over the 20" barrel given identical loads. You really won't notice any significant ballistic difference on target between the two, nor will effect on game be spectacularly different.

Your choice will most likely come down to aesthetic reasons such as weight, handling, cost, and personal preferance.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Told you these guys could say it better than I. One other thing to note and to avoid flame my other rifle is a .35 Rem. But the 30-30 is not considered a real 'flat' shooting cartridge, especially when compared to things like a .270, .243 or any of the modern magnums. That said the ranges you plan on shoot ing don't require anything that shoots super 'flat.'

Brian

·
Registered
89 Posts

Welcome to the world of hunting and shooting. 24 inch barreled 30-30 are few and far between. Seems most 30-30 buyers want theirs in carbine version.

The 24 inch model can be re-chambered to PO Ackley Improved and handloaded safely to approximate 300 Savage level of performance. Whether this is a project you want to take on is entirely up to you.

My Glenfield carbine wears an 18.5 inch barrel. Yet I've killed many large mulies at distances out to about 200 yards or so. A shot through the ribs shot at this distance may not produce adequate mushrooming. Key is to shoot into the shoulder at this long-ish range to ensure the bullet will expand upon striking the skelton and produce maximum shock to the deer.

Beyond 200 yards there are many better cartridges to choose from. 30-30 does it's best work at typical forest and foothill distances, say about 150 yards or so.

Good hunting and shooting to you.
Jack

·
Registered
118 Posts

According to my ballistics calculator with a 150 grain 30/30 bullet , a 100 fps difference will cause a change in impact at 100 yards of .3 inches and 1.6 inches at 200 yards. This is hardly a consequential difference. You are far more likely to miss at 200 yards because you misjudged the distance than if your gun shot flatter by 1.6 inches.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Silver, good point about trajectory and range estimation. I might add that when you figure in variations in velocity from shot ot shot with factory ammo, or hand loads for that matter, a 100 fps gain isn't worth noting. In a hunting gun anyway.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts

I have a 336 20" in 35 Rem. and a 336 24" in 30-30. IF they were scoped the only difference would be in which one felt better/handled better. And that is a subjective judgement that we all must make for ourselves.

Mine both have Williams receiver sights and brass bead front sights. The front sights look quite a bit different due to the difference in barrel length. They both shoot just fine.

I prefer the heft and feel of the longer barrel. That's just my preference.

Heres the deal: get a 20" model and gain some experience with it. They are easy to find and usually much less expensive than 24" models. It will serve you well, I'm sure. THEN, when you have a full blown case of Marlinitis, you can go in search of the Holy Grail...a 24" barrel model. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts