Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to lever actions and rifles. Clay targets most of the time. I am soon to pick up a cowboy 357mag/38spec with a 24" barrel. Does this length barrel have any advan/disadv compared to the 1984C? Thanks for any help on this one.
Rick O'Shey

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
You can get a little more bullet speed and the 24 inch barrel has a longer sight radius. On the down side, the longer barrel is not as quick handling as the standard 18.5 inch tube and it is heavier to carry.

The rest is aesthetics and balance, both of which are very personal.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have one with the 24" barrel. In the 357, you can get some really amazing velocities out of the longer barrel and still have loads that are quite safe. The higher velocities translate to flatter trajectories. I have shot my 357 out to 200 and 300 yards at my range's steel sight in gongs and can hit them pretty regularly off hand. I'd say out of the 1894's, the 357 has the best potential for the flattest trajectory.

Other than that, it is as stated above, personal preferences and better handling charactaristics with the shorter barrel. I have the short barrel also. It is a little handier, but the long barrel holds better for offhand shooting due to the slightly heavier barrel and longer sight radius.

G

·
The biggest advantage you will have over the standerd 357 , is no barrel bands . IMHO they do not help accuracy . I have a 24" Cowboy and a 16.25" CP in 357 and they both shoot well . But again neither has barrel bands :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
357 24"Barrel

Thanks for the info fellas. I'm looking forward to shooting with this rifle. I have been reading threads on this site and it looks as though the 357 is a handy calibre. I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers.
Rick O"Shey

·
Registered
355 Posts
Welcome aboard!

I can't add to what the others have said about the longer barrels. I myself though do prefer the 18.5" barrel mainly because it's handier to carry through the thick stuff, but yet still long enough for good accuracy at longer(if you could call it that) ranges.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Long Barrel

Thanks Jerry for the welcome. I appreciate the help. Sounds like you guys have a lot of fun shooting in your part of the world. Us Aussies don't have much variety in game over here. Everything's protected. Although I have heard of the odd Camel Burger on offer in the bush. Some decent size water buffalo, roos, pigs, goats plentiful, and some deer are accessible. Even duck shooting is banned in my state (Queensland). I'm looking to chase some hogs with the 357. Close range is the go with this gun I hear. Still unsure though of the knock down power of this calibre. Anyhow, I'll catch up soon with some pics. Cheers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am a big fan of the .357 for any "man sized" game out to 100m. If, however, I was armed with the .357 and came face to face with a "decent size water buffalo" I would doff my hat, wish it a good day, and run as fast as possible to the nearest tree I could climb. :shock:

Jim H

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds like good advice. I think I'll carry something bigger as well as my 357 'cause I can't run like I used to.

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
Your new rifle will come with a plug in the magazine to limit it to 10rds, removed it will hold more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Swany. I'll give it a go. Why is the plastic plug there in the first place? Does it serve any purpose?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Rick O'Shey said:
Thanks Swany. I'll give it a go. Why is the plastic plug there in the first place? Does it serve any purpose?
The vagarities of US law. Some states require that magazines hold no more than 10 cartridges.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for that. Aus. law isn't much better. We can't even own semi autos without rigid guidelines for storage and permits etc. Not even pump shotty's unless you're a property owner who needs to exterminate vermin etc. Nice to hear from you. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Hey Rick, welcome to the best forum there is. Gotta question.........is there still a rabbit problem in Aussieland? Many years ago they were totally out of control, and the gov't was begging anyone with a gun to PLEASE come south and shoot a few hundred of the little buggers. Has the situation gotten better, or is it just in other districts? I always wanted to come south and exterminate a few thousand, to sharpen my aim. Sounds like a good day in the open.

I couldn't shoot a 'roo, but I could live on rabbit stew, for a week or two!

Papajohn the Poetic Rodent Assassin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Papajohn, thanks for the welcome. Just love hearing from all of you in the U.S. of A. The rabbit problem is not as huge as it was but I know that in the South, there is a growing feral problem in general. From figures given recently by a professional pig hunter, he quotes something like 20million feral pigs roaming across Australia. That means every Ozzie gets one pig to shoot. In NSW, foxes, goats, pigs are plentiful. Foxes would be our worst feral in so much as damage to livestock and wildlife goes. Rabbits are still plentiful but poison has dealt with them very effectively. Not enough to rob us of good small game meals. IN Qld, where I am, pigs are are in great numbers in the North and West and providing a good industry for shooters etc. Of course Roos are just par for the course. The Roo population in Oz in about 40million right across the land. Those figures are of last years estimate. I hope I got them right from memory. Anyway, come on over and join the fun. AT the moment we're trying to deal with the aftermath of Cyclone Larry. Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts