Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reorganizing my ammo safe and found 5 (250 round) boxes of Winchester 22WRF made back in 1994 I believe. I know these rounds are larger than a 22 long rifle and shorter than a 22 Mag. Anyone know of any Marlin that was made to use this round? What model rifles used it?
Hate to just leave it sit.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Sure-Shot said:
Was reorganizing my ammo safe and found 5 (250 round) boxes of Winchester 22WRF made back in 1994 I believe. I know these rounds are larger than a 22 long rifle and shorter than a 22 Mag. Anyone know of any Marlin that was made to use this round? What model rifles used it?
Hate to just leave it sit.
Take it to the next show and turn those puppies into gold. I think they were getting around 7$$ for a box of 50 at that ammo table just as you walk in the tent portion of the show.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T I was looking for an excuse to buy another rifle. But you might be right.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Check with a gunsmith but I believe you can shoot the 22WRF in a bolt action or single shot 22 Winchester Magnum.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sure-Shot said:
T I was looking for an excuse to buy another rifle. But you might be right.
The 22WRF can be shot in a 22 Magnum rifle. However, you have the problem of shooting a shorter cartridge, in a longer chamber, just like shooting 38 S&W Special in a .357 magnum chamber.

The advice to sell the 22WRF ammunition, for a profit, is very good advice. 22WRF rifles are few and far between.

However, leaving the ammunition in your storage isn't costing you anything. The longer you hold on to it, the rarer, the more desirable and the more pricey, it becomes.

Then you might run onto a rifle chambered for 22WRF and squeeze out a good deal, then you have ammunition to shoot in it.

Bill

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You can safely shoot the WRF in a 22 Magnum but the accuracy isn't much to speak of. (generally speaking, of course) I don't know if it's worth trying to market the stuff but you never know. CCI makes 22WRF ammo still. The CCI ammo sells for far less than $7 a box; MidSouth Shooter's Supply gets around $5.50 a box of 50. ~Andrew

·
Registered
528 Posts
It seems to me since CCI started marketing it the price has come down in my area.10 years ago I bought every box I saw at any price,nowadays I don't have any problem finding it for $4. or less a box at the shows,I've stockpiled a whole lot up,just in case.There is still a lot of guys asking $8-10 a box but they are't selling much around here anyway.The last 5 boxes I got were $3.99 a box......

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can shoot it in a mag, but bullet diameter on the WRF is bigger. I forget exactly how big, but the bores in WRF guns are about 226 or so if I recall, not .223 like 22 mag bores. Because it is loaded lighter, the oversize bullet doesn't run pressures up beyond what most .22 mags can take, but does make for lousy accuracy in them. To my knowledge, Marlin never made a WRF chambered gun. That is a shame, because it was a very effective round that would have probably been a better choice in the 27S than the 25 rimfire Marlin chose to go with. Also may have worked in the 1892 with a beefed up bolt like they used in the 32 cal version of that gun, but I am not sure.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Two Twenty-six?? I checked "Cartridges of the World" and they list the 22WRF and 22 Remington as having .224" bullets. The Marlin barrels might be .226" -for what ever reason- but I've always held that the WRF bullets are .224 inches. If you find out differently let me know, will you? Thanks! ~Andrew

·
Registered
455 Posts
From what I have read 22LR bores are .223 in diameter, and 22 WMRF barrels are .224.

Can anybody comment, that has measured both bores?

Bill

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm going to stick my pecker out and say unequivocally that Stillwater and Andrew are correct in their assessments. .22LR = .223" bore, .22WMR = .224". The WRF is the granddaddy to the 22WRF and is marginally shorter than a .22WMR round. I have shot the WRF's (new production CCI IIRC) out of my 25MN without any problems. FWIW

·
Registered
455 Posts
Andrew said:
Two Twenty-six?? I checked "Cartridges of the World" and they list the 22WRF and 22 Remington as having .224" bullets. The Marlin barrels might be .226" -for what ever reason- but I've always held that the WRF bullets are .224 inches. If you find out differently let me know, will you? Thanks! ~Andrew
Andrew:
When you say 22 Remington, do you mean the cartridge called 22 Remington Special?

Man it has been over 50 years, way over, since I have heard of that cartridge.

Squirrel Sniper said:
I'm going to stick my pecker out and say unequivocally that Stillwater and Andrew are correct in their assessments
SS: That gun your sticking out -- is that a new varmint gun? :lol:

Bill

·
Registered
455 Posts
SquirrelSniper said:
The leatest and greatest pea shooter. :lol: :oops:
Thats funny guy ... ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sarge said:
SquirrelSniper said:
The leatest and greatest pea shooter. :lol: :oops:
That kind of "pea shooter" is dangerous in the hands of a young feller like you!!!!
This thread, is one of the funniest I have read on this forum ...

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts