Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What company makes .22WMR's. I need something quiet that will be powerful enough to kill some squirrels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are a few i can think of. There are many more I'm sure.

Bolt Action
Anschutz, CZ, Marlin, Savage,Kimber, Cooper, Ruger

Semi-Auto
CZ/Brno 611, Remington, Ruger

Single Shot
NEF, Thompson Center, Varner, Savage

Lever Action/Pump
Winchester, Henry, Taurus

There are a host of companies that used to produce them also. I'm sure I left out a bunch of them also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry

I'm sorry, my first post wasn't clear. I'm talking about .22WMR subsonic ammunition. I have an 882ssv. I don't think any exist. I've looked everywhere. Thanks for your help anyway.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
geish said:
What company makes .22WMR's. I need something quiet that will be powerful enough to kill some squirrels.
I'm not trying to be rude or smart, but sub-sonic is strictly a function of velocity, so you might as well use regular .22 LR subsonic (but not in the .22mag rifle :) ); a .22mag subsonic will not be anymore powerful than a .22LR subsonic. TTT

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
purpose

OK, let me clarify my very confusing post. Sorry, it's my fault that some people aren't understanding the me.

1. I have squirrels in my attic (they'r destructive)
2. I only have an 882SSV rifle (WMR); I don't have a .22LR rifle.
3. I need to shoot the squirrel.
4. I don't want the bullet to overpenetrate. I need for it to stay in the squirrel.

That's the situation.
Since .22WMR subsonics don't seem to exist, I've been thinking about getting a .17 air rifle. The only thing is, the good ones cost about as much as a .22LR rifle.

What are my options? I've tried rat traps, moth balls, squirrel and animal deterrants. What next? Howitzer?? LOL.

·
Registered
103 Posts
geish

CCI makes 22WRF Shotshell Ammo. They come in a box of 20 for around five bucks. I have never fired this round so I am not recommending it, just letting you know it's out there. If you buy a box, it would be prudent to try them out in the boonies somewhere to see how loud they are and test how they pattern. They probably have limited range, no more than 20 or 30 feet would be my guess.

You mentioned getting an air rifle. If you are serious about that option then check this out. This might be the ticket! Get rid of your pests and get something you can plink with in the back yard. http://www.airgunexpress.com/benjaminmodelreman397airrifle304-11-0397.htm

Frank

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Again, only my 2 cents, but don't shoot anything inside your attic :lol: Murphy will certainly be at your side in any such venture :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tubbythetuba said:
Again, only my 2 cents, but don't shoot anything inside your attic :lol: Murphy will certainly be at your side in any such venture :(
Well, even if I DON'T shoot the darn thing in the attic, I still need something quiet and not overpenetrating.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
geish said:
tubbythetuba said:
Well, even if I DON'T shoot the darn thing in the attic, I still need something quiet and not overpenetrating.
???Stand behind a tree and sound like a peanut??? Sorry :oops:

·
Registered
103 Posts
geish

The CCI 22Mag Shotshells or the Benjamin .177 pump pellet rifle I posted about are both viable options for DIY squirrel eradication.

My final thoughts on you Squirrel delima are as follows.

Give the squirrels some tiny little knives and then convence them to commit Seppuku!

This may take some time. I hope it takes at least as much time at I spent posting on this thread.

Frank

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Well in the .22LR category CCI offers CB Longs. They're fairly quiet and don't overpenetrate in my experience. However you need a .22 LR chambered gun to fire them. (FWIW they are NOT quiet when fired from a pistol!) You might be able to pick up an old Marlin model 60 at a pawn shop for $50-90. Brand new they're just over a c-note.

If you're dead set on using the .22WMR rifle see if you can find a box of .22WRF. They're might be close to sub-sonic, (I dunno) but they toss a 45 grn round so it WILL penetrate more than the squirrel.

Do you have a bow and arrow?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL

Dark:30 said:
Give the squirrels some tiny little knives and then convence them to commit Seppuku!
LOL. That would make a good cartoon. Makes me laugh by just thinking about it. LMAO.

G

·
I note that my local Wally World carries a little Savage .22 semi-auto for under ninety clams. You could use Super Colibris at close range to kill squirrels, and those little 20-grain hollow bases won't overpenetrate. You'd have to cycle them through the action manually though. Just a thought.

The little knife idea sounds intriguing, but, so far. I've not been able to locate a source for such cutlery at reasonable cost.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you're dead set on using the .22WMR rifle see if you can find a box of .22WRF. They're might be close to sub-sonic, (I dunno) but they toss a 45 grn round so it WILL penetrate more than the squirrel.
This is not recomanded..... The .22 WRF and the .22 Mag are two different rounds and even on the box of the WRF says not to be shot in a Mag fun but a gun made for the WRF( this guns are old and hard to find).

SquirrelSniper don't mean to make you look like you do'nt know anything.. that is not the intent just wanted him to know that it is not recomanded buy the make of the rounds.

DoniphanRedneck

( it may work but there is a slight enough different in the round to make it not recomaneded to be shot through a mag gun.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
squirrels

:roll: I shoot a lot of squirrels and I've used .22 mag shotshells and you better aim at there head the first time.I would recommend using a box trap or a large rat trap baited with peanut butter.If you run a drywall screw from underneath the rat trap where the wire hits the wood it will catch the squirrel under the chin and keep him in the trap.cut off the rest of the screw on the bottom so the trap lays flat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
missing the whole problem

You can bait and live trap them with a haveaheart trap and either eat 'em or turn 'em loose somewhere else or shoot 'em and hope the don't die inside your walls and stink for a month...BUT...here is what everyone has over looked with your problem . If you have squirrels in your attic removing them or killing them will not solve your problem ..You must find the opening they are using to gain access and seal it or they will be more sooner than you would ever think. and they can do havoc on wiring. your best choice is to trap them ,as they do not stand still long enough inside to do a clean head shot and if they are not killed on the spot you run the risk of dead squirrel stink in your walls. i got one for one of my neighbors he heard noise in the walls and one day moved a picture and there was a hole chewed clean thru the drywall into his beadroom..behind the picture.if you can get a shot at them outside their is an ammo called Colibre its' a 20 gr 22 powered by Ely primer no gunpowder make less noise than my spg action air gun.Good for close range pests about 300fps Good Luck.

G

·
Maybe

John A Kertesz said:
find him a girl friend and he will leave fast enough
:lol: Yea as long as he don't bring her home to stay.i put a nest box up a tree in the fence row behind my place and they were in it with in a week ,had more than one litter out of that box that summer.......NOW if that was your attic :roll: don't even want to think about it. :lol: --JMJ--

·
Registered
363 Posts
the best thing you can do is to trap them, kill them until you don't catch anymore and then fix the attic so no more can get in.

if you turn them loose they will just move back in and if you fix the place they got in you may trap some live ones inside. it will probably find a way down into the house after that.

if they have a hole into the attic someplace, i suggest a 110 conibear trap over the hole. this will kill the squirrel going in or out and will require no bait.

they got into my attic one spring by chewing a hole into the facia.

i set a trap over the hole and killed 5 in one day. after 3 days and no more squirrel deaths i fixed the board.

the trap works 24/7 and is the surest way to rid yourself of the problem.

luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts