Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, No......How far.........Solid/HP.......Head shot/shoulder shot.

I'm gonna have the .41mag Bisley along because bear/lion is open and I'll be calling. Or should I just take the 45-70 and be on the safe side.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have some experience hunting/calling coyotes but I am by no means an expert and I don't own a 22 mag, but here goes.

I believe the 22WMR is plenty of medicine for dogs if a guy was to keep his shots under 100yds or so. I hunt in the western prairies and my longest kill on a coyote is 135yds and it's pretty open around here, so to bring them in under that range is quite possible. I had a 'yote almost land in my lap once, I got three shots away with my 222 and missed all three, because my scope was cranked up to 9x. I was a little shaken to say the least. I paced off from where I was to his foot prints in the snow and he got within seven big paces of me, lol.

Anyway, back to the 22 magnum. Although I don't own one I would defintely use one for coyotes. I think a semi-auto would be the way to go, just because it'd be nice to double tap 'em should the need arise. I think one right in the boiler room would get the job done, that's always the high percentage shot. If they were to come in close I'd give them one in the melon. With some of the more high power ammo the punch that the 22WMR has is not too far off what a Hornet will do and I don't think there's anyone who'd say a Hornet is under-powered for coyotes.

There was an article I read on a website that did a ballistic comparison of a whole whack of different 22WMR ammo and I was quite impressed with what that little round will do. I'll search around and try and find the link again.

Oh, and I'd go hollow point if it were me and I'd have my shotgun with me in bear/cougar country, short 12g stoked with 00 or 000 buck.

Regards.

Tag.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Hey Tubby where are you going to hunt. I see no problem with 22Mag centerfire, you can hunt cougar with a 22 centerfire, but I would definately carry the 41 in case of a bear. I would also try and find a spot where they could not come in from behind without me seeing them. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure-Shot said:
Hey Tubby where are you going to hunt. I see no problem with 22Mag centerfire, you can hunt cougar with a 22 centerfire, but I would definately carry the 41 in case of a bear. I would also try and find a spot where they could not come in from behind without me seeing them. Good luck.
Hey Sure-Shot...............It's rimfire 22mag, not centerfire. My thought was that if I had a good open sight shot, it would be ok. We could be going out south of National (Ashford), up Copper Creek N of Ashford, Ft Lewis, Capital Forest. We just wanted a good excuse to get out of the house before deer season. We'll probably hunt Vail Tree Farm (Skookemchuck GMU..667) but Vail is not open before deer season opens. If I'm sitting, I should be good for 100-125 with the Bisley, so I just might use that, too, and travel light. If you get over this way, give me a shout.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've killed coyote with my 22WMR (mag) out to 60 - 70 yards with CCI 40 grain FMJ. I have friends that have killed them out to 100 yards but they were excellent shooters, making very careful shots. I haven't shot a coyote with the mag recently, but I did shot a large Feral dog at about 80 yards some 4 or 5 years back. One shot did the trick but it was a well set-up shot on a windless day from an ambush.~Andrew

·
Registered
264 Posts
1 vote for yes, given some conditions.

under 100 yards, more like 75
head shot, or vitals (heart/boiler room) only
and you want a hard hitting round that won't nessesarily 'explode' if it hits bone. So, I recomend the Winchester 40 gr. jhp. This ammo is like the partition of 22wmr.

W 40jhp test results into wet phone books

·
Registered
72 Posts
I read an article on Chuck Hawk's website that said that the 22WMR was carrying more energy at 100yds than the 22LR develops at the muzzle (tested with 40gr bullets and 22" barrel.) I'm not sure how true that is, I suppose it would depend on the brand/type of ammo. Does anyone know where a guy can find an ballistic table that compares the two shot from a rifle? I'm pretty sure I would shoot a coyote from inches away with a 22LR given the chance, so 100yds with the 22WMR would seem reasonable to me.

Tag.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tag said:
I read an article on Chuck Hawk's website that said that the 22WMR was carrying more energy at 100yds than the 22LR develops at the muzzle (tested with 40gr bullets and 22" barrel.) I'm not sure how true that is, I suppose it would depend on the brand/type of ammo. Does anyone know where a guy can find an ballistic table that compares the two shot from a rifle? I'm pretty sure I would shoot a coyote from inches away with a 22LR given the chance, so 100yds with the 22WMR would seem reasonable to me.

Tag.
What I wonder is: At longer ranges, does the HP go fast enough to do any good? Would a heavier solid hit harder at longer ranges just like all heavier solids hit harder........What range would that be? I've always defaulted to solids.....HPs make me nervous.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
The HP's are more accurate, and better killing power in my opinion.. .. Have no idea of range..

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
danurve said:
1 vote for yes, given some conditions.

under 100 yards, more like 75
head shot, or vitals (heart/boiler room) only
and you want a hard hitting round that won't nessesarily 'explode' if it hits bone. So, I recomend the Winchester 40 gr. jhp. This ammo is like the partition of 22wmr.

W 40jhp test results into wet phone books
Nice mushrooms.........on my SWAG test with dry Seattle phone book, the CCI and Federal FMJ and HPs just blew threw it.

:) :) If I don't start shooting the .41 Bisley better, I'm gonna take the 45-70 with the 300gr Federals...........don't forget the bears and lions in the area :shock: I've been working that call (Circe 3-1) pretty good.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Although the WMR has a lot more speed and whack than the .22 LR, I can think of a lot better choices for 'Yotes than the mag. Personally, ( and this don't make me right ) , the mag is about at the extreme limit of usefulness on 'yotes. That bullet is still only 40 gr. or less, and still in the .223" diameter range- there is only so much a package like that can do. That bullet MUST be placed with a great deal of precision!
This does not mean the mag is not a yote taker- just if it were me, I'd like a little more on the ballistics side.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
834 Posts
Interesting info. I just obtained a Browning 22 mag Bolt action. I will be taking it on my camping trip in Roscomon MI next week and Coyote season will be open. Think I'll take my camo and borrow my brother's calls and give it a whirl. I'm a complete newbe to this so ol Wiley will probably be pretty safe. Gotta start somewhere.

Larry

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, Frank.......I saved that site you put up......good info!!

Every evening at the NCO club: What time tomorrow?? OH Dark Fricken Thutty :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
So looking at that ballistics table you can see that if you were using RWS 40gr JHP (2020 fps and 360 ft/lb of energy at the muzzle) then the difference between that and a 22 Hornet (2300 fps with a 40gr bullet will put you somewhere around 430 ft/lb at the muzzle) is not a whole heck of a lot.

I'm sorry but I disagree with a head shot on a coyote unless he's drooling on the muzzle. I've found that when calling dogs I get maybe 1 to 1.5 seconds to get him lined up and a bullet away if I can make him stop. If you miss a small target like that then you have a wounded animal. A guy I know did this with a 22WMR (tried a neck shot, ugh) although he also did it with 22-250 Rem as well and the dog came alive in the box of his pickup, I suppose this doesn't say much for his hunting skills. The rib of a coyote poses very little resistance for even a light bullet and I firmly believe that the lung/heart area is the high percentage kill shot.

I agree with Dark:30 in that coyotes are tough. I had to shoot one twice with a 243 using 100gr bullets and when I walked up to him I had to give him the coupe de grace in the head from 0yds, that's what poorly placed shots will do for you.

I doubt that a 22WMR will drop a coyote in his tracks but I'm sure it'll kill 'em.

·
Registered
103 Posts
22 mag has more fpe at 100 yards than a 22lr at the muzzle. Like I said, shot placement is key. They will die from either but tracking them down to where they died can be a chore!

I practice for the brain shot a lot. I shoot English sparrows and starlings at 50 yards at a bird feeder with adult air rifles. Jumpy sparrows at a feeder at 50 yards are WAY more hard to hit than a brain shot on coyote stopping to look and listen where that squealing is coming from.

I called and killed my first coyote a little over 50 years ago. Coyote calling has been my main hobby and my passion for decades. For almost 14 years now I have hunted welfare coyotes full time.

I shoot them in the head if I can, when I go for the boiler room, I have several big mean fast dogs that track and retrieve coyotes for me.

Lung shot coyotes can and do go for miles. Or sometimes they drop like a stone.

You never know!

Frank

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Tag: You've got your Hornet ballistics a bit skewed. I shoot 40 grain Sierras at 2850 ft/sec and that equates to around 700 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. The 22WMR is in no way even approaching Hornet in power or range. I shoot em both.

Also, that RWS load you mentioned is -regretfully- no longer imported to the US. Too bad, but for $18/50 you can see why! ~Andrew

·
Registered
72 Posts
Andrew.
Sorry about that. I averaged out some numbers from an old reloading manual. Quite likely you can push 'em out a whole lot faster. By no means did I mean to imply the 22WMR was the quintessential coyote round. I just figured it'd kill 'em dead, but hey, like I said, I don't own one.

Dark:30.
I still disagree with head shooting game, in my opinion a guy is taking too much of a chance. I've called in and shot my share of coyotes (I started less than 50 years ago though :wink: )and I've never lost one or had to track one very far. I've seen too many guys over the years wound and lose all manner of animals through poor shot placement. Just beacuse it's varmint doesn't give me the right to treat it with any less respect than I would a moose or deer. With one in the boiler room - the biggest target - that animal is not surviving even on a vet's table. You're obviously a good marksman and experienced coyote hunter and I would not presume to tell you how to hunt, but that's just the way I choose hunt.

Regards.

Tag.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Tag: No problem. It's only recently that the Hornet has clawed it's way back from obscurity. Alot of the data floating around is quite old. I agree with you about head shots unless you are dead to rights. Not all head shots are immediately lethal. Take off a jaw or a nose and you cause lingering death. I have shot quite a few coyotes with the 22WMR and a lung shot was indeed, the surest remedy. If hit under 70 yards most would go down, get up, make a couple of turns and collapse. Maybe run a bit but never far. I used FMJ because they really aren't "full metal jackets"; they are just a thin copper wash on a lead slug. The game never showed any different reaction between CCI HP and CCI FMJ. Back then, those were the only rounds available to me from the local Gambles Hardware. Those were the days. ~Andrew

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Andrew said:
Back then, those were the only rounds available to me from the local Gambles Hardware. Those were the days. ~Andrew
The local Gambles here had guns that I badly wanted, LOL! There was a Browning T-2 T-Bolt on sale there for $65.00, and an Article II 39-A for a few dollars more... Gambles went out of business here about the time the rotary dial phone became obsolete- phone calls were still a dime from any payphone...

At that time a brand new 10-22 could be had for the princely sum of $49.00

Where did those days escape to?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

1 - 20 of 27 Posts