Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My cousin, and hunting buddy passed away last year. His wife asked if I wanted any of his rifles.
He had a .223 Interarms Mark X mini mauser I always liked.
IMG_1344.JPG IMG_1345.JPG

Decent shape, Leupold M8 4x. Cleaned it up, took off the cheap rings and put warnes on.
Copper cleaned the bore, got about 3" from the crown, felt the patch loosen, then tighten up.
Uh Oh. No rings on the outside, can see a shadow inside.
Figured someone shot a patch out of it. Or bad from Interarms.
Shot about 1.5-1.75" with my 55 and 40gr vmax/varget handloads.
Light contour bbl may have opened up the groups a bit as it was very hot. Shot about 5 shots sighting in.
So cold group should be a little better.
Great trigger, 2.5lbs.
Debating what to do. Have $375 in it, no big loss, just disappointing.
My cousin was a farmer and he killed a bunch of groundhogs with it.
I expect sub moa from a .223.
Don't want and can't afford a re-barrel, although a 7.62x39 would be interesting.
Won't sell it without being honest.
Debating about selling it to someone to make a nice rifle out of.
Or cutting the bbl back to 16", and counterboring if needed to clear bad spot.
Would a 16" .223 look odd?
Thoughts?

It is a sweet carrying little rifle, but I have a bunch of those.

·
Banned
3,196 Posts
if not wanting to spend money on a rebarrel, but consider the possibilities of what a say maybe a---krieger ---or---a-- hart --or even a shaw, if cutting it down does not get rid of the problem, ive got one of the zastava Charles daly's in 22 hornet, the extractor seems to be the only weak point, otherwise a beautiful rifle.

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
My cousin, and hunting buddy passed away last year. His wife asked if I wanted any of his rifles.
He had a .223 Interarms Mark X mini mauser I always liked.
So I drove 200 miles to pick up this rifle.
View attachment 814363 View attachment 814365

Decent shape, Leupold M8 4x. Cleaned it up, took off the cheap rings and put warnes on.
Copper cleaned the bore, got about 3" from the crown, felt the patch loosen, then tighten up.
Uh Oh. No rings on the outside, can see a shadow inside.
Figured someone shot a patch out of it. Or bad from Interarms.
Shot about 1.5-1.75" with my 55 and 40gr vmax/varget handloads.
Light contour bbl may have opened up the groups a bit as it was very hot. Shot about 5 shots sighting in.
So cold group should be a little better.
Great trigger, 2.5lbs.
Debating what to do. Have $375 in it, no big loss, just disappointing.
My cousin was a farmer and he killed a bunch of groundhogs with it.
I expect sub moa from a .223.
Don't want and can't afford a re-barrel, although a 7.62x39 would be interesting.
Won't sell it without being honest.
Debating about selling it to someone to make a nice rifle out of.
Or cutting the bbl back to 16", and counterboring if needed to clear bad spot.
Would a 16" .223 look odd?
Thoughts?

It is a sweet carrying little rifle, but I have a bunch of those.
Shorten the barrel just behind the suspect area and recrown.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if not wanting to spend money on a rebarrel, but consider the possibilities of what a say maybe a---krieger ---or---a-- hart --or even a shaw, if cutting it down does not get rid of the problem, ive got one of the zastava Charles daly's in 22 hornet, the extractor seems to be the only weak point, otherwise a beautiful rifle.
If I didn’t have about 12 gun projects a rebarrel would be fun. 7.62x39 would be great but as you mentioned with the weak and irreplaceable extractor I couldn’t shoot steel cases.
It is a .223 chamber, 1:12. A 5.56 1:7 would be better.
But Im leaning towards cutting it back.

·
Banned
3,196 Posts
these zastava's are fine guns, zastava is a gun maker that knows what they are doing. it has a fully adjustable trigger and most were highly polished and deeply blued to a quality right up there with a Weatherby mark V. the m85 was sold as a Remington either 799 or 798, and several other importers including interterms and Charles daly. the 223 is the most desirable caliber and the value of these guns has doubled in the past 10 years

·
Super Moderator
11,607 Posts
With little to lose I would shorten it. I had a 16" Ruger in 223 and it was a really nice shooter. Still have a 16" Ruger in 308 and it is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
If it is what I think it is, it is a rifle scaled to match the cartridge. proper action length and size. Always thought they would be an interesting rifle. In many ways, it would be a good, centerfire for a one gun situation. Accuracy is not all that bad for a rifle at 1.5" or so for a scaled down rifle. Still, in todays world for a 223 one could beat that with an off the shelf cheap Savage axis.

DEP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts