Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this 22 TCM / 9mm switch barreled RIA 1911 because I just thought it was cool. It's a double stack 17+1 wide frame. Hope to take it out next weekend. Anyone have any first hand experience with one?
IMG_20140520_200622180.jpg IMG_20140520_200638611.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,552 Posts
I have been fascinated by that TCM round since it was first introduced. I'm betting it will be one that you better stock up well with brass and have the dies on hand though, which is what I would do if I were in a position to buy one.

I'd be real interested to hear the range reports.

JD

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JD,
You and I think alike. I have the dies, brass and bullets on order. Luckily at this time, Armscorp, the parent company of RIA is really committed to supporting this new round and has ample supply of ammo. It seems to be readily available through the normal stores in the DFW area also. But I won't be taking any chances with availabilty with this new round. I will be stocking up for sure. I will post the range report this weekend.

Thanks,
Keith

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I owned one of those when they first came out. You will LOVE it! I had to sell mine because of the 1911 frame, I can't use them :( but BOY does that thing spit fire! Folks think your shooting a 50cal!

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
The .22 TCM leaves me cold. I struggle to find the usefullness of what ballistically amounts to a .22 Hornet in a 1911 platform. If one believes that velocity relates to stopping power, both the 9x25 Dillon (10mm case necked down to 9mm) and the .38 Casull (basically a .45 Super necked to 9mm) will do 1800 fps with bullets weighing three times more.

On the other hand, I inspected a few of the hi-cap RIA 1911's at the NRA convention and was favorably impressed with all aspects of the execution. So much so, it's on my "short list"...in .45 ACP, of course. Looking forward to your review of the pistol, regardless of caliber.

Roe

·
Registered
225 Posts
I thi k this round just looks funny. Held a couple of RIA 1911s last year need to get me one as my first semi auto pistol cuz its affordable and felt just as good as a few others I've had my hands on. Belong to another forum and the RIA got good reviews on it.

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
I'd double up on hearing protection, i.e., plugs and muffs. Them little puppies is LOUD. And as mentioned, very impressive in low light!

Reactions: Bronco Archer

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
FYI, Once I added up buying brass at $.018 a piece, bullets at $.09 a piece, powder at $.03 and primers at $.04 = $.34 each loaded, I did the math and found that I could buy 1,000 rounds of loaded ammo for $363.00 = $.36 each. I know my time isn't worth much but it's worth more than $.02 a round. So, I changed my order to a 1,000 rounds of loaded ammo, 500 bullets and a set of Hornady reloading dies. That should keep me shooting a while. I'll post my range report on Monday. :biggrin:

Roe,
I don't quite know where the 22tcm will fall in my selected choice of calibers as far as use goes but it surely looks like it will be some fun. Not that energy shows the whole story but 370 ft lbs of energy gives it more energy than my current 9mm loads and should have far flatter trajectory than any other pistol I own. Recoil will be nice and light so my daughter who already shoots my .45acp will likely have a ball with the big noise and low recoil. I do know that I would likely choose it over a .22lr, .22mag, .32acp and .380acp for personal defense and hope to find that the terminal effect to be at least on par with my 9mm or better. If I need more that that, I already have a .357 mag and a .44 mag. I envision it being the perfect Texas woods pistol for coyotes and smaller game and will likely give it a try on some pigs with some well placed surgical shots.

I'll let you know if it hold ups to my expectations. The worst case scenario is that I end up with a pretty cool 9mm 1911 which I have always wanted anyhow.

Roe, and by the way I bought my wife an RIA compact 1911 in 9mm and a full size RIA 1911 in .45acp for myself. Both perform very nicely. If you choose to go with an RIA in .45, I believe you will be completely satisfied with your choice.

Keith

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RANGE REPORT: At 10 yards the 22TCM shoots consistently inside of an inch. The round sounds off like a hot .44 magnum but the recoil is like a .22 magnum out of a revolver. The sights were set from the factory to be dead on at 20 yard. The gun functioned flawlessly for the entire 100 rounds. Here's an offhand target that was shot at 25 yards. It was too fun to keep to myself so I shared most of the second box with my buddies at the range. Shot the last 5 rounds at 50 yards rested from the bench and they all stayed in a 5 inch circle. So far this little flamethrower is a keeper. The next outing I will set down an see what it is really capable of. I was having too much fun to focus well and do some serious accuracy work.

Keith

22tcm at 25 yards.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts