Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found and bought 3 boxes of Remington 22 shorts and have yet to shoot them. I figured they would work great for squirrels and the occasional rabbit, anyone have any experience with them in this specific rifle?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have my Dad's old Sears Ranger 103-13 from the 40's which is a Marlin model 81 made for Sears,it's a tube feed and shorts work fine in it.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
How loud are they out of one of these rifles?
As Elmer Fudd would say, " Vewey vewey quiet...shhh...." Shooting a lot of shorts through a LR chamber will build up powder fouling and cause chambering difficulties with LR ammo so be sure to clean it. AC

·
Registered
94 Posts
If the cartridge guide at the top of the chamber is broken the shorts will not feed into the chamber. Mine shot so quite I could hear the springs in the bolt hum through the stock and I had to pull the bolt after the first round to verify it left the barrel.

Mals

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Same here, first time I shot a short from my Model 25, I thought it had misfired.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never fired them, always shot long rifle. Would they have enough energy at 25-30 yards to kill a crow? I'll be crow hunting next season and they tend to be in the spot before we can set up. Anyone who's hunted them knows you're pretty much busted if they see you.

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
You got lucky finding shorts at most any price. Rem shorts in my experience are more accurate and way more reliable than their bigger cousins the "Golden 22s"

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You got lucky finding shorts at most any price. Rem shorts in my experience are more accurate and way more reliable than their bigger cousins the "Golden 22s"
$4.50 a box is what I paid at Walmart. I had so many people ask me if I knew they were shorts and probably wouldn't cycle in my rifle. I said they did and the people didn't believe me until I showed them a picture of the markings.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I've never fired them, always shot long rifle. Would they have enough energy at 25-30 yards to kill a crow? I'll be crow hunting next season and they tend to be in the spot before we can set up. Anyone who's hunted them knows you're pretty much busted if they see you.
Yep,no problem killing a crow a that range.

You might have to re-sight in your gun for the shorts

·
Registered
519 Posts
CCI HV 22S HP shoot similarly to 22LR SV in my experience. At least at 25 yards. I think the main limitation will be accuracy out of a 22LR chamber. My Mossberg 340 BD groups CCI 22S CBs about twice as large as 22LR SV. The drop from 25 to 50 yards is striking for the CBs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CCI HV 22S HP shoot similarly to 22LR SV in my experience. At least at 25 yards. I think the main limitation will be accuracy out of a 22LR chamber. My Mossberg 340 BD groups CCI 22S CBs about twice as large as 22LR SV. The drop from 25 to 50 yards is striking for the CBs.
25 yards is what I like to keep my shots limited to.

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
My experience is that there is not much difference between shorts and long rifles at 25 yards! Now at 50 yards, the shorts will be quite a bit lower POI than the LRs. The shorts usually use a 29 grain bullet and the LR are between 36 and 40 grain normally! Hope that helps! John

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
+1. I've checked out all my Marlins bolt .22's, tube and magazine, with shorts and even fed them a mix of LR, S and L with no problems. But like gunscrewguy says clean the chamber if you shoot a lot of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts