Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am a reloader with quite a bit of experience but am loading for a new (secont hand) rifle that I bought a while back (Brno 305 .22 sav hi Power/ 12 Gauge over/under).
I am trying to get a feel for a good load using H4198 / AR2207 and 70 grain .227 jacketed hollow piont bullets in Norma 5.6 x 52R cases. I think i should be aiming for around 2900fps and am working up loads slowly from 22.5 gr upwards .... I am up to 24 Gr H4198 and think I must be close now.... Does anyone have any good loads for this caliber ? HAs anyone shot cast bullets out of this caliber ? its not one that is very common around here (Down Under).... ???

Many Thanks

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
G'day Lad, I didn't get your first name, I have a very old book here that lists a few loads for the H.P. but they are all old powders. It does list AR2201 which I think but I'm not sure became AR2207. That load is ( 70gn Jacketed .228 dia. ) 26gns Max for 2900fps and the suggested load is 23gns for 2610 fps.

I know it isn't much help but it's all I can come up with. Go carefully.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oz said:
G'day Lad, I didn't get your first name, I have a very old book here that lists a few loads for the H.P. but they are all old powders. It does list AR2201 which I think but I'm not sure became AR2207. That load is ( 70gn Jacketed .228 dia. ) 26gns Max for 2900fps and the suggested load is 23gns for 2610 fps.

I know it isn't much help but it's all I can come up with. Go carefully.

Cheers,
Mark.

Thanks Mark, I may be on the right track then .... Maybe I will stay closer to 2900fps than 3000 then .... ;D I just wasnt too sure what velocities to aim for ... the Brno is a strong platform but i dont want to be destroying the brass too quickly as it is hard to come by here .....

Cheers
Dave (Brisbane)

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Geez - - -hit that 3000 fps and ya better watch out for that SONIC BOOM!!!

GB45

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Hey Dave. There is also some loads for 60gn G.C. cast pills at around 2000fps. All th loads are for old, discontinued powders; Nobels, Norma, Dupont and ICI. The only one that may be still alive is perhaps Dupont 4227 which may be similar to H4227 / AR2205, but again I'm only guessing. PM me if you would like more info from the book.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I believe Dupont manufactured IMR 4227 here in the states for years.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mark, I am going to do a bit of trail blazing here and try out the local powders by trial and error (AR2206H) - I reckon I am not too far off the mark as i am getting around 2700fps without any signs of pressure and I will use small increments until i get what im after ... or the pressure starts to get iffy.. Im not looking for a super duper round - just something useful. With a 70Gr pill i reckon Im nearly there ... I got plenty of brass and found a stash of 70 gr pills so I am gonna use this rifle this year and see what she will do .... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts