Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i'v started "collecting" the older 22's....anybody know where we can get the pressures of the different 22's? in PSI or CUP? it would be helpful to relly KNOW wether a 22short or LR is "too much" for a older rifle.......
???anyone? :?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Cartridges of the world. In the rimfire section. moodyholler

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah......

:? duh.....i forgeted!...... :roll:

need to pull it out and dust it off!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
For all the years that I've been shooting antique .22's, I still don't know what the pressure numbers are, or need to. What's on the box-end flap is sufficient for my meager, non-scientific purposes....

Hi-speed, High Velocity, and Hyper Velocity .22's are out of the picture. This still leaves a hefty range of target, subsonic, standard, and low velocity ammo to shoot with. Just a word of caution though- some ammo ear-marked "Biathlon" is a little on the warm side- approaching High Velocity pressure wise...

BTW- a pitted bore will rise pressure considerably in the .22 rimfire...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't see the pressures listed in Cartridges of the World. All I see are the Factory Ballistics charts which don't list pressures. My copy is the 8th Edition. Am I missing it somewhere ? Maybe the newer editions list pressures ?

For what it's worth - I use Remington Target, Winchester T22, or CCI Standard Velocity in my old (LR) .22's and have never had any sign of a problem.

WB

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Wishbone,
I've got the newest copy, and it doesn't show pressures either.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Remington introduced their "Hi-Speed" long rifle cartridges in June of 1930. These were the first 22 shells to use brass cases. The short, long, and WRF Hi-Speed followed in 1931. My 1928 Winchester catalog does not list high velocity ammo. I assume they introduced their high velocity loads about the same time as Remington. How do these dates coincide with production dates of Marlin 22s? I would think that standard velocity or CB ammo would be a safe choice.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The CB Short from CCI is surprisingly accurate at 25 yds- the only distance I've benched it at. I've got two oldies that really like the CB Short... CB Longs are hard to find around here- if I could get my hands on them I'd probably do a lot more shooting...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
579 Posts
I stand corected!!!!!! But it lists MV and bullet weight. Can it not be used to determine pressure? Thanks, moodyholler

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have never seen a formula for computing pressure. Special equipment using copper or lead slugs is what laboratories use. Newer equipment utilizes piezo-electric devices. The lead or copper slugs are measured to determine how much they have been crushed during firing. The test chamber has a hole in it allowing the slugs to absorb the same pressure as the rest of the chamber.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
moody moody......

Moody~ :shock: can't find that page either! :wink:

SOMEWHERE....i read that the 22 had pretty good pressures....up around std vel is about 12000cup and 'high vel' is around 14000cup......so the 'cb' caps should be way lower.......but shotgun loads are around that too......i just got to thinking about the 'boys' rifles that really were made with ammo in the 1900's in mind. :?
and in reading the adds for these little rifles were shot at distances "up to 50yds"!...wow! hehehe.......nowdays we're mad if our 17rimfire or 22mag won't do dime size groups at 100yds or better!
I have a mn25 22mag that will consistantly do dime groups at 100 if i use CCI maximags......but i never have shot anything live with it..i just kill little black dots.. :wink:

·
Registered
111 Posts
In my old '97's, 39's and 92s and 91's in .22, I always shoot Aguila subsonic HP or Solid standard velocity loads. Remington target ammo is probably also safe, but is warmer than the aguila stuff. Eley practice ammo seems to be about the same speed as the Aguila stuff. I am always amazed that there are any old Marlin .22's left without cracked bolts, as so few people know you are not supposed to use highspeed ammo in 1897's ectl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts