Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have to say that I'm surprised by the power of this little round. I've always been a fan and think it's one of the most underrated round out there by so many ppl who has never tried it but think it's barely better than a 22lr which is so far from the truth it's not even funny.
Today I was messing around a bit on the property and decided to test the 22 on some pretty dense pressure treated 1x6 boards I had and I thought perhaps it would go through one and a bit further into the next board but from 40 yards with the cci maxi mag HOLLOW point it penetrated three 6 by 1's...three inches off stacked wood and lodged into the 4th.
Maybe it's just me but I was very impressed. the bullet expanded and I'm sure with a FMJ or other bullet it would have penetrated even further.

Many people say what's the 22 mag good for when you can just have a 223, well I could say what is a 223 good for (unless you shoot a lot of 300 yard shooting)....the 22 mag is a round that kills anything up to a small deer effectively out to 100 yards, you can bring down coyotes out to 150 yards, goes right through them. It's PERFECT for all critters from cat to really big dogs basically, it kills them without any excessive sound or wasted energy into the ground behind the target.
All this with a very light handy carbine with ammo that weigh about a third of the 223. It punches paper just as effectively at the range.
I guess if I could only have one rifle the 223 have a slight edge as overall performer but I feel since I'm an owner of a 30-30 that it MORE than covers the bigger stuff I might want to shoot or if I want to reach out and touch stuff.

I think maybe the 22 mag might be THE perfect survival round, ppl often say the 22lr because of price and how much ammo you can carry but I say the 22 mag is almost the PERFECT combination of power and small size. You have a round that EFFECTIVELY (we're not talking eye/ear 40 yard shots here like with the 22lr) can take down stuff up to deer in size, but that is also accurate enough to make headshots on small prey and be very good for small game as well, powerful enough to be deadly against 2 legged varmints out to 150 yards at least. Low noise level enough that you can shoot it without hearing protection if needed without damage. You can carry a thousand rounds easy and the rifles it comes in are very light usually and easy to carry all day.

If you have never tried a 22 magnum rifle do yourself a favor and try one out if possible, you will fall in love with this round. One of the most fun and pleasant rounds there is to shoot imo.

Well that was my ramble of the day,

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
I enjoy my Savage 93 stainless bolt with bull barrel as well.It is an absolute tack driver.
So is my new Marlin 7000 22lr with bull barrel.
I also have other rimfires.They get shot more than any of my other firearms.Make you feel like a kid again.Momentum,I share your sentiments!

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Agree 100% that it is an awesome round. The only draw back that I've seen is that in some cases the ricochets can be a little hairy. I recently purchased an Anschutz in 22 mag and can't wait to go out and shoot it!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Agreed! Its a Superb little cartridge and will do wonders if you do your part!!!!! That's the Key!

BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
am also a fan of the 22mag...it would most likely be my "bug out" round if I could only have 1....accurate enough for head shots on large game...under rated as an all around cartridge...it would be difficult to re-supply ammo when you ran out but it would be a while till you did...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I'm always tempted to get a Savage Model 42 chambered in 22 WMR and 410 as a fun gun and survival gun. One of these days I'm sure I will.

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
I've had one for longer than I can remember...and saw another this past weekend I should have bought.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Well you feller's keep your eyes peeled. I'm gonna be listing a Savage 24, 22mag/20ga in a couple days....

Stay Tuned :)

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
I agree with the 22WMR being a great performer. I use it for coyote, fox, bobcat and raccoon. One lever action and two revolvers chambered for the 22WMR and they are fun to hunt with or target practice at the range. I would like to see more 22WMR ammunition on the store shelves.

·
Registered
58 Posts
22 mag

I have a early model 782 it's still in nice shape I've shot more ground hogs with it over the years then I can remember. Talk about how much power a 22 magnum has here is a story for you.

Quite a few years ago I had a doe on my property with a bad broken leg the bone was sticking out through the hide. It was deer season and I hated to waste a tag on her but couldn't stand to see her limping around any longer. On the first Saturday of the season she was eating some feed we had out for the sheep only about 40~50 yards from the back of the grain tower I took my 782 and planted one right below her ear on the side of her head she never knew what hit her didn't even take a step just fell right over on her side. I called the local game officer and he come over and gave me another tag took the deer with him the part that sucked even though he said it was good to put her out of her misery was he gave me 100 dollar fine for shooting her with a 22mag. Oh well lesson learned at least I had another tag to get a deer without a festering leg. EDR

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Now is the wrong time to become a fan of the 22 Maxi-mag, if you want to shoot it that is. I'm still kicking myself in the butt for giving away a box of 100 rounds two years ago.

·
Super Moderator
12,038 Posts
... the part that sucked even though he said it was good to put her out of her misery was he gave me 100 dollar fine for shooting her with a 22mag. Oh well lesson learned at least I had another tag to get a deer without a festering leg. EDR
The part that sucks is he didn't have to be a jerk about it seeing as you did the humane thing.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts