Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were at the St. Louis Cabelas yesterday afternoon and found piles of 22 LR on the shelf including many boxes of CCI standard velocity and CCI "Quiet" rounds. Just FYI.

·
Registered
522 Posts
22 ammo can be found most anywhere in my area. Most of all what I've seen are CCI Winchester. So yeah it's coming back around. Some places have a limited one box. Other places I buy from are unlimited.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
We've not had 22 for way over a year. I've caught a couple of reasonably priced ones online, but the frustration is such I won't be getting a target 22 like I had planned.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Availability... For some, if the LGS doesn't have a huge selection at cheap prices, it's a "crisis " and "scarce availability". On the other hand, if you search the internet..... well, I don't need to go there. Asking the gougers to change their ways and the hoarders to change theirs and the rich who'll pay whatever price to change their ways ain't gonna happen'.

Witness the lowly cockroach. This ugly bug has survived for eons (ice ages included) because of an uncanny ability to adapt to an ever changing environment. So the question really becomes, "Who carries the best performing ammo relative to the cost I'm willing to pay"?

Reactions: raindawg

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was the largest on-shelf stock I've seen in the midwest for some time. Prices were not bad (I think about $8/100), but there was a 100 round limit per person.

·
Registered
450 Posts
No 22LR or 22mag in my area at all, will be 2 years in November since I picked some off the shelf. I have Dicks and Bass Pro in my area to shop at. Most other standard cal. are coming back though. The only rimfire I can find in the shelf is the 17HMR.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Cabelas ib Hamburg Pa. has .22 now. Limit 2 Boxes per customer.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
We have it in stock at various places at all sorts of prices.
People aren't buying it like before.
So it'll last a day or two on the shelf now.
I have enough for bulk crap. Now I only want accurate
ammo bulk or otherwise.
I know a guy who is expensive about $49.99 for 500
and he's got plenty in stock.
He's expensive on everything so this is normal for him.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Sportsman's Warehouse in Vancouver,WA has put out a sign stating that .22 amunition will no longer be available on Thursday morning's at the CS counter. But will instead be put out on the shelf in small lot's and at different time's. I don't know about limit's or if the decision is from corporate or individual store's manager's. This sound's like a tactic to break the scalper's supply chain. I hope it is effective. Regard's.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
We've not had 22 for way over a year. I've caught a couple of reasonably priced ones online, but the frustration is such I won't be getting a target 22 like I had planned.
That's been the norm here in middle Georgia for about a year now. That being said, I just about fainted Yesterday morning when I was FINALLY able to by a 550 round bulk box of Federal copper plated HP's at "Wally World"!

The Federals shoot very well in my Henry rifle so I feel extremely lucky to find them. :top:

Reactions: Grunt69

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
I agree it is getting a little better.I stopped at Wallyworld before work the other morning and got the three box limit of Winchester 22 lr in 333 rds.There were still several boxes left,so I had my helper go in and get me three more.Wish I had met my other guy in the Walmart lot.Woulda sent him in too!

·
Registered
7,307 Posts
Sportsman's Warehouse in Vancouver,WA has put out a sign stating that .22 amunition will no longer be available on Thursday morning's at the CS counter. But will instead be put out on the shelf in small lot's and at different time's. I don't know about limit's or if the decision is from corporate or individual store's manager's. This sound's like a tactic to break the scalper's supply chain.
Something I've been saying for a good while now, as well as telling retailers just that. I've also heard of another or two switching policies lately.

It's just pure simplicity to fix a nagging problem.

It's like.....Duh... What took y'all so long ??

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I agree it is getting a little better.I stopped at Wallyworld before work the other morning and got the three box limit of Winchester 22 lr in 333 rds.There were still several boxes left,so I had my helper go in and get me three more.Wish I had met my other guy in the Walmart lot.Woulda sent him in too!
No offense meant and you are ofc free to buy as much ammo as you want/can but what you just said really kind of illustrates part of the problem lately with the ammo shortage, in the past people would go in and buy 1 or 2 bulk packs because that's all they NEEDED and they knew if they ran out they could just go back and get some more, these days when ppl see ammo they feel they have to get all they possible can when they see even if they have ammo at home and don't NEED it.
As a result the ammo is gone as soon as it goes on the shelf and some unlucky guy who actually DID run out of ammo and NEED ammo might not be able to find any.

I really think we all should try to make a deal that if we have enough ammo to get us by for lets say the next 6 months (at the rate you normally shoot) pls don't buy up ammo just because it's there. It will leave someone who's out of ammo completely empty handed. It's not good for the shooting sport and we could all be in that situation ourselves one day. This way the ammo makers/distributors could catch up with the demand and there would finally be ammo on the shelves when you go to the store and price gougers would be out of business.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I've passed by a lot of 22 ammo lately. Unless it's target ammo or some new bulk ammo
that I haven't tried I have no more need for the inaccurate stuff.
The LGS has had American Eagle on the shelf at a normal price for over a week now.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I've passed by a lot of 22 ammo lately. Unless it's target ammo or some new bulk ammo
that I haven't tried I have no more need for the inaccurate stuff.
The LGS has had American Eagle on the shelf at a normal price for over a week now.
I love American Eagle, in all calibers, I just feel its good reliable clean ammo for a good price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Still no 22LR on the shelf out here in the dry part of Oregon for about two years. Just about every other caliber is back on the shelves again. I was recently able to score a bucket of 1400 Remington Golden 36gr HP at Bi-Mart (about $50) recently by being patient, talking nice to the sporting goods folks to find out when they get things in, and getting in line before the store opened. There is a special line for ammo each morning. They told me they see the same people there every day, and they are probably the local scalpers. When some 22LR can finally stay on the shelf, the hoarders will be selling some of their stock, and the scalpers will go away. This will happen about the same time manufacturers get some additional capacity. OK, so I've got to have something to look forward to. So the Bi-Mart folks told me every bit of what they get in for the day sells within a couple hours. I was hesitant at first about the Goldens because of bad reviews, but I figured I could run it in my 880 (bolt action) if it didn't cycle in my 70P or 795, and 1400 should last awhile. The new Remington Golden brass looked dinged up, and the bullets are a bit loose in the case, but what should I expect of bulk ammo in a plastic bucket? Since I still had some 15+ year old Federal Lightning 40gr solid (#510 I think) that I didn't want to use up until I could get something to replace it, I ran some of that with the new Remington Goldens in my 70P a few days ago. The Federals still look brand new, brass is shiny, and bullets are not oxidized at all. Did I say it's dry here? No de-humidifiers needed. Just stored in the cheapo Stack-on cabinet. Golden Bullet brass looks a little dinged up and is not as bright, and bullets are actually loose in the case crimp, like the seconds they are, or just because they get jostled around in the bucket. After firing, the Golden brass is sometimes powder stained on the outside from blow-back, probably because the bullets are loose. Both new Remingtons and old Federals cycled without any misfeeds or other problems. For plinking, the Remington GBs should do just fine.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I love American Eagle, in all calibers, I just feel its good reliable clean ammo for a good price.
Absolutely. That stuff burns through my 10/22 very well. I have plenty of .22 LR and will pass on most now except for those and CCI Minimags.

Reactions: Catherine

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

The stuff I ran today out of my target pistol I honestly thought they put black powder
in it. I haven't seen 22LR ammo that smokey in a dogs age.
Thankfully I don't have a lot of it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Gacop those federal do shoot well. I sent my wife to Walmart to pick up some ammo. She called and said all they had was CCI rat shot ammo. I told her to forget about it. I'm not shooting that junk in marlin. So tomorrow I'm going to pick up some CCI subsonics and CCI standard velocity ammo. Trying to get up enough for my squirrel hunting ventures coming up. The gun dealer I go to always has a wide variety of ammo.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Went in to get a few ton of stone at the supply yard and dang if they didn't have a box of CCI Mini Mags sitting on the floor behind the counter. The upstairs has garden stuff and rather nice little gun room. Kind of a rare combo anymore but makes it feel like the places I remember as a kid. Not a big room but they have something for everyone and I just like to look at the 50 BMG hanging off the ceiling. You could even put ammo on the account if you wanted. 100 round limit but I was very happy with that since I had not even seen any since this all started.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts