Marlin Firearms Forum banner

22 hornet?

5K views 33 replies 29 participants last post by  bassetman1974 
#1 ·
Anyone here have a rifle in that caliber? Like it? Dislike? I am curious about them.

#2 ·
Not nearly as popular anymore, used to be a very popular varmint caliber known for its accuracy and quiet report compared to the bigger wildcats.I have a beautiful Anschutz,but unfortunately it has a bad bore,love to get a new pipe on it one day.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have an Anschutz, a Thompson Contender rifle and a TC pistol all in .22 Hornet. All are superbly accurate. The pistol is the most accurate doing 1/3 MOA if I do my part. The rifles shoot about as well. The Anschutz is a dream come true. The Hornet is a legendary historic cartridge and a lot of fun to shoot. It is great on varmints to 100 yards.

#5 · (Edited)
It is a winner. Loaded with lead bullets it can be taken down to 22LR/Mag levels, and for less money. A case full of LiL Gun nets around 2850 FPS with a jacketed 45 gr Hornet bullet, which has more energy at 100 yards than a hot loaded 357 Mag at the muzzle. The little cartridge handloaded, while very frugal can throw a punch, easily a 200 yard varmint cartridge. Taken some deer, mostly head shots, but a few classic behind the shoulder shots made it about 40 yards before piling up if they decided to run off. A good survival cartridge. I've played with a half dozen or so, accuracy with good handloads in an accurate rifle can go inside 1/2 inch if there is no wind, most rifles seem to do nearer 1 inch. Prefer the old school Sierra soft point, most of my Bud's use the pointed Hornady Hornet bullet and get excellent results, these being controlled hunts on deer.

#6 ·
I have 2 1 is a rugger I think 10-77 H, fitted a Boyd's adjustable stock, Timmy trigger sear and re cut the muzzle crown to 11d. Has a Leopold vx3 varmint scope. 40g bullet with little gun = 3000fps. It will swat gray Squirrels of pheasant feeders 180-200 yds with a by-pod off the land Rover bonnet all day long. It will kill foxes at that range too.
The second is a combination gun 3" .410 / .22H, I had screw in chokes fitted, with the extra full choke 1/2oz of UK 71/2 shot (US 8) it will tree rats so hard the cut hair comes floating down from the trees like silver rain. The rifle barrel is good for 20yds. it has a Leopold 1-4 x24 scope on detachable mounts. The rifle is either German or Austrian with a bullet trap inthe stock for 2 of each rounds. the only markings on it are LUX 451, we think a artisan maker ?.
I use 2 22-250's for fox control the day rifle is an ackley, the other has night vision.
The .22H will cover all the other vermin (varmint) requirements in the UK, it is a excellent crow round as well.
It does not burn a bucket load of powder (13+) and you will not burn the barrel out in a life time. It allows you to keep the more potent .22 cf's for bigger stuff. It is enjoying a very strong resurgence this side of the pond. As one leading reloading supplier said to me " every bodies caliber of choice this year, you get a lot of bangs for you Buck with a Hornet"
Well thats just my 2 cents from across the pond, Gar.

#7 ·
i have had several hornets over the years. i do love them. if you handload they are cheap to shoot. my dad had several also in his life. the r e d neck county i come from and live in, the hornet is legendary with the old timers like me. back it the 40s and forward believe it or not they were and still are used for deer hunting here. and poachers loved them, my dad killed a passel of deer with them. it is quite amazing how effective they are on deer. i have cleaned many deer killed with a hornet. if shots are kept 100yds or less they are deadly in the hands of a skilled marksman. and they are just flat out fun to shoot,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#8 ·
I ve had them on and off in my younger days and sometimes get an urge for one. I do not shoot varmints much anymore so my use for one is very limited. I neck shot a black bear with one when crow hunting and dropped him. Not a large bear but no cub. As mentioned they will take out deer. Made the longest shot ever on crow with one but admit the crow had a very unlucky day as I could never repeat the shot. Older ones had a 223 bore newer ones a 224 bore.
If made in a Savage axis or a similar rifle I might still have one.

DEP

#9 ·
Okay, yall make think less of me after telling this, but we were all young once...

Back when i was in my late teens-early 20s i hunted some properties that belonged to the BN railroad and the city. There was a lot of deer on both and i used a 22 hornet loaded with a 55gr SP and i think 4227 powder. I cant recall no more it was years ago.
There was a long strip of land where a dead line was that the RR owned and i knew about it so i hunted it. I didnt feel like i was hurting nothing. The property behind the sewage plant was easy to acess because i mowed it, and i had a key.
anyways i played cat and mouse with the game warden for about 5 years and finally decided i was getting too old for that crap.
Anyway, inside 100 yards, broadside straight into the heart-no problem. pick your bullet carefully. thats the only thing.

#10 ·
I have a Ruger 77-22 Hornet in stainless. Laminated stock. Bright clear little scope.
Got it for a walking around rifle for groundhogs, before the coyotes cleaned them all out...
It's perfect for carrying around, report is not very loud, as mentioned. The caliber is very flexible for handloading--but the the case necks are thin and very easy to collapse when seating the bullet. Case capacity is small, so this caliber does best with 40-45 gr bullets. You can load 50 grainers, but the velocity drops below 2400 fps. There are also 30 gr bullets that can be pushed past 3000 fps.

Bullets of 50gr and below are almost entirely intended as varmint rounds. These bullets have paper thin cases for instant expansion and disintegration. They are intended to expand explosively at velocities below 2800 fps. If you intend to hunt anything larger than raccoons, please, please, please, do some homework and pick a bullets intended for better penetration. Even coyotes are too big for the 40 gr and lighter pills for a body shot, or for a hit that's an inch or two off. Please a bullet that's more strongly constructed.

My biggest complaint is that the Ruger lacks accuracy. Best mine will do is 1.5-2" at 100 yards. I've tried multiple powders, bullets, and charges. I'm convinced it's the rifle. Don't know how or why, but the Ruger 77-22 Hornets have that reputation, while other rifle are often tack drivers.

Every once in a while I haul mine out and try it again, but I keep getting the same result. It's the rifle...

Reactions: Gareth Holland
#30 ·
I have a Ruger 77-22 Hornet in stainless. Laminated stock. Bright clear little scope.
Got it for a walking around rifle for groundhogs, before the coyotes cleaned them all out...
It's perfect for carrying around, report is not very loud, as mentioned. The caliber is very flexible for handloading--but the the case necks are thin and very easy to collapse when seating the bullet. Case capacity is small, so this caliber does best with 40-45 gr bullets. You can load 50 grainers, but the velocity drops below 2400 fps. There are also 30 gr bullets that can be pushed past 3000 fps.

Bullets of 50gr and below are almost entirely intended as varmint rounds. These bullets have paper thin cases for instant expansion and disintegration. They are intended to expand explosively at velocities below 2800 fps. If you intend to hunt anything larger than raccoons, please, please, please, do some homework and pick a bullets intended for better penetration. Even coyotes are too big for the 40 gr and lighter pills for a body shot, or for a hit that's an inch or two off. Please a bullet that's more strongly constructed.

My biggest complaint is that the Ruger lacks accuracy. Best mine will do is 1.5-2" at 100 yards. I've tried multiple powders, bullets, and charges. I'm convinced it's the rifle. Don't know how or why, but the Ruger 77-22 Hornets have that reputation, while other rifle are often tack drivers.

Every once in a while I haul mine out and try it again, but I keep getting the same result. It's the rifle...

I had a Ruger #3 for many years. I had the same problem with accuracy as you. I liked it because it was a low powered 22 and I could use it for 22 rimfire applications like squirrel or rabbit hunting and be able to reload ammo with cast bullets for about the same price as rimfire and my handcrafted ammo was always available, unlike 22 rimfire these days,

#11 ·
Picked a used one up in Contender Rifle a few years ago; sweetest little gun you ever wanted to shoot.Took it out the box, remounted the scope, adjusted it 2 clicks for elevation, and haven't touched it since. Ungodly accurate! Doesn't seem to matter what you point it at, it dies. Doesn't seem to care what you feed it, it shoots all of them well; just shoots some a little better. Doesn't seem to care who's finger is on the trigger, more than once had folks never seen the gun before, shoot one round and take game with it.

Picked a used one up in Contender Pistol not long ago, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. While I do have a reasonable amount of ammo for it, reasonable was defined as meeting my needs for hunting and a little plinking with 1 gun for a while. Not necessarily going out and getting familiar with a second. And, given the current ammo situation, I haven't really wanted to go out and shoot up a bunch!

While it seems to be an old under-rated classic round, when you start shopping for one you find very quickly that they are still quite popular. Deals are hard to come by, steals are pretty much unheard of on auctions. If you by chance found one, buy it and try it. You won't have a problem reselling it, should you wish; but that's unlikely, it's a hard round not to fall in love with.

#12 · (Edited)
I live in a rifle-legal State for turkey hunting. One of my hunting buds uses an antique H&R in .22 Hornet. It has an old Weaver steel tube 4x mounted. He handloads FMJ military surplus bullets to about 1900-2000 ft/sec. Deadly on turkeys. One shot and down, minmal meat damage. Highly recommended small game cartridge.

#13 ·
I have two of the 22 Hornets...a Browning which is very accurate and a Ruger 77/22 Hornet which was a two inch shooter until I shimmed the bolt. Now with 35 and 40 grain Vmax I can easily get .340 to .90 inch at 100 yards. All other loads in the Ruger are generally around 1.150 at 100 yards. I've got some 34 grain Dogtown bullets loaded at 3,000 fps but generally I keep loads at 2400-2700 fps. No need to try and turn the Hornet int a 223. If I had to sell one it would probable be the Ruger because it is not as accurate as the Browning which shoots half inch groups all day with everything but I shoot the Ruger more often because I don't care for the three shot magazine on the Browning.

HIKayaker, you might try shimming the bolt on your Ruger. It sure did wonders for me and was well worth it. Don't remember where I bought the shims but it might have been here Ruger 77/22 & 77/17 Bolt Action Shims, Trigger Kits, Springs . I bought the kit that had several shims in it and there are instructions on youtube for taking the bolt apart which is very easy to do...takes maybe ten minutes total to do.

#14 ·
I do not have one - BUT I would really like to have one. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you find a nice rifle and find your favorite / best load.
My cousin has a Winchester 54 in .22 Hornet that has taken more rock chucks and ground squirrels than can be tallied on the largest abacus! He has shot that rifle for 55 years (and occasionally he would let me pop off a few rounds when I would visit him) and it still shoots minute of ground squirrel. Wish he'd sell it to me......alas. . . .

#15 ·
Reloading is the only way to go.

Ruger Stainless M77-22 Hornet w/24" barrel. However, a small chamber adjustment to 22 K Hornet version. Fire form the case and you have a rimmed version of the FN Five-SeveN! N-110 powder and 3,000 fps using the 40gr V-Max with outstanding accuracy.

Also, two T/C Contender barrels in 22 Hornet. A 1-9" twist for up to 62 gr Hornady FMJ's and a 1-7" for the 88 gr Hornady. IHMSA and NRA production standing iron sight Silhouette rigs. Both loaded for low recoil at 1,600-1,700 fps.

There are a few tricks to dial them in for accuracy. The best tip is not to full lenght size the neck down to the shoulder. Leaving 1/32"-1/16" of the base of the neck at fire formed size help centers the bullet to the bore. The very low angle shoulder tends to not align the bullet to the bore very well. Watch the case length, they stretch. Outside of that, quick powders like 2400 and N-110 that are easier to ignite than magnum pistol ball powders tend to deliver much more consistent combustion.

#16 ·
i will add on the reloading side, what i have found to make them the most accurate is rem. 6 1/2 primers and LIL-gun powder. the 6 1/2 primer was made for the hornet and 218 bee specifically. if small rifle primers are used the hot flame burns faster than the powder and starts the projectile on its way ahead of the powder burn. you will get wired groups sometimes. some people use small pistol primers, and that dose help, but not like the 6 1/2,,,,,,,,,,,

#18 ·
I had a TCR 83 in 22 Hornet. It was a beautiful little rifle with a very nice set trigger, but I could never get any better than five shot one inch groups (at best) at 100 yards so it went down the road.

I replaced it with a Ruger No 1 B, also in 22 Hornet. It has a 26" barrel and nicely figured stock. Apparently its chamber is much tighter than the TCR's as some loaded rounds I had for it didn't come close to chambering in the No 1. A case full of Lil Gun sends a 40 grain Balistic Tip right at 3000 fps and I've gotten ten shot groups at a half inch at 100 with a Burris 3x - 9x. Super fun rifle. This one is a keeper.

#20 ·
Just got one. I ordered a CZ527 back in early February and it just came in. Haven't had a chance to sight it in yet but am anxious to try out that set trigger. Two friends of mine from Chicago have them and come out to our place in Wyoming to shoot prairie dogs. With a good handload it's deadly accurate out to 150 -160 yards. Last time they were here they shot about 200 and when we went in the house my wife asked if we shot any because she never heard the shooting. Nice and quiet if you don't want to disturb the neighbors.

#24 ·
i have tried to love rugers for years on and off. most will not shoot! i bought one in a 257 Roberts brand new in the 80s, went through floating and everything else, got rid of it. had a 220 swift in the 70s that did shoot good. had a 280 rem, in a heavy barrel that shot well. i just sold a 250 savage that shoots so, so. i have another in a 243 that shoots pretty good but i may sell. i had a new hornet with heavy barrel, shot like a dog! it went away. yea a ruger has barrel problems, always have,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: 444pistol
#22 ·
I give the 22 Hornet consideration at times, so far haven’t got into one. I did inquire with a local seller a year ago, but didn’t progress to buying.

I do like the 17 HMR round, especially for smallish pest control. The largest I took with one was a Fox, 35 yards, 20 grain game point, DRT. I have taken ****, possum, porcupine & smaller varmints with the 17 HMR, works fine. The 20 grain bullet is a bit more firm than the common 17 grain V-Max bullet.

I have also loaded lighter bullets in the 223 with Alliant 2400 powder. As I recall, they were 45 grain bullets at 2670 FPS, which is Hornet territory. I didn’t do extensive accuracy testing.

#25 ·
I presently have 1 1/2 of the 22Hornet variety. A Savage 219, which I have to tear apart and fix whatever ails it. Also have a Win 43 project gun. Had new heavy barrel. Needs head spaced and stock fitted to heavy barrel. The Savage shoots well, put barrel on buddies 30/30 to try. I’m sure 43 will shoot if I ever get around to finishing it. I bought it the way it is from estate.

#26 ·
I have been shooting & reloading for 22 Hornets & 218 Bee`s since 1963. And I have had several rifles in both calibers. But now I am down to one Win model 43 in 218 Bee that I have had since 1963, that will shoot an inch or less at a 100yds. And one CZ 527 in 22 Hornet that will shoot 1/2 inch or less at a 100yds. IMHO the Hornady 35 gr V-Max bullets have given the 22 Hornet & 218 Bee a new lease on life. They are about the only bullets, I use in either rifle now. And again IMHO I think the 35 gr V-Max bullets are about as good as it gets, for most any varmint I use it for. I have even taken several Pigs and Coyotes with my CZ 22 Hornet. And I use it a lot
ken.

#27 ·
I had an old BSA in .22Hornet and I loved it. Unfortunately I had to make a choice of what to sell to buy the .17Hmr and the Hornet was the one to go as I had the .223.
Because of our stupid laws I can only have 12 guns or else I have to install a top of the range alarm system.
Why 13 or 14 guns would be any more dangerous to the unsuspecting public is beyond me, but there it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.