Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple of hundred round of .22 Rem Yellowjackets last summer when I was buying anything I could get my hands on. I promptly forgot about them until I ran across them this weekend reorganising. I have read that they are comparable to the CCI Stingers. Anyone have experience with them? I have plenty of bulk .22 but want something a little better for hunting.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Yellowjackets may be a bit too explosive for edible small game from a rifle, but I enjoyed great success with them on squirrels when used in a S&W Model 17. That gun would keep a cylinder-full of Yellowjackets under an inch at 25 yards, and accounted for the main ingredient of many bowls of Brunswick Stew over the years. They are a bit slower, but I found them to be more consistantly accurate than the Stingers in a wide variety of handguns and rifles.

Roe

·
Registered
240 Posts
I also like them. I have read of feeding problems, not so much directed at the yello jacket, but at the Truncated cone bullet style that the yello jacket uses.

They are Not quite equal to the stinger, but darn respectable and for me they shot better. CCI did something a few years back and the stingers seem to be better accuracy. But I like the Yellow Jackets and Vipers too!

CW

·
Registered
17 Posts
You will have to try them and see if your gun shoots them well or not .I bought a brick a couple years back real cheap to try and they shot accurate enough to hunt with , but had too many FTF's so I never tried them in the field on game . I just shot them up plinking on targets . I have enough Mini Mags reserved just for hunting to last a long time .

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I shot bricks and bricks of these in my younger days. It was my preferred jackrabbit load. Very effective and quite accurate.

B

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
Seen a deer Accidently killed with one back when they first came out. Heart lung shot, it went about 30 feet.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input. I have two rifles and a revolver, so one of them should like them. :)

Reactions: gunrunner

·
Registered
519 Posts
My XT-22 does not like hyper-velocity rounds. The yellow jackets are not an exception. Indeed, when the rifle was new, Remington Yellow Jackets would not even feed due to the truncated cone design. The good news, my Mossberg 340 BD loves them. Mind you, this rifle shoots 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with CCI SV. But, Yellow Jackets also do well. Vipers also shoot well from that rifle.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Good to hear some good reports on them. I just picked up my first box ever and learned that some guns and some people do not care for them. I believe they should work fine in my Henry Rifle as well as my Revolver though.

Time will tell though, lol.

Bill

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I had far better luck with the Yellow Jackets than any of the Golden Bullets from Remington. They worked really well on big old Pa. fox squirrels. Many of the bullets never came out and looked like they came out of a center fire with perfect mushroom. May not feed well in all rifles due to the truncated bullet. I have not seen any to buy since the shortage.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
My "58" 39A shoots them better than anything I've tried...cept "Eley"

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I shot bricks and bricks of these in my younger days. It was my preferred jackrabbit load. Very effective and quite accurate.
Yep, they were our go to rabbit killing ammo years ago!, I have some current production, but haven't shot any yet??

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I bought a couple of hundred round of .22 Rem Yellow Jackets last summer when I was buying anything I could get my hands on. I promptly forgot about them until I ran across them this weekend reorganising. I have read that they are comparable to the CCI Stingers. Anyone have experience with them? I have plenty of bulk .22 but want something a little better for hunting.
Yellow Jackets and Copperheads have been around for a long time. They are post Stinger as product history goes, and were developed to be faster than traditional HS, without the longer case and pulse cycle of the Stingers, so they will work through a larger number of firearms, (especially the semi-auto's). Like most ammo, some rifles shoot well with 'em, some not. As hunting ammo, squirrels and rabbits are a head shot deal, as they are quite a bit more destructive than non-HP ammo, even HS/HP's. Out to 75yds or so, they are pretty good on groundhogs and smaller pests. I've taken a few foxes with them, and they are OK for that out to 50-60yds. Past that the lighter bullet is losing steam pretty fast.

Basically it's a matter of does your RF collection like them or not. In handguns, I've chronographed them a couple times, they are slower from a short barrel than High Speed ammo.

·
Premium Member
28,790 Posts
I like em better than stingers, and mini mags.
Them and the new cci velocitors are my favorites for hunting.
along with win 22 short hps.
and my auto pistols also run well on em.
that target is two groups fired off my shirt off our old wagon wheel patio table sitting in a rocking chair:biggrin:
From two rifles with YJs.
So they probably could shoot a little better:biggrin:
I think youll like em,, if not you will have no trouble getting rid of em.
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun
Blue Cobalt blue Water Circle Illustration

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
that target is two groups fired off my shirt off our old wagon wheel patio table sitting in a rocking chair:biggrin:
From two rifles with YJs.
:)

How far?

I practice with my rimfires, and a bit of that practice is part testing ammo, and part practicing my precision shooting skills. For serious evaluations, a decent rest, stable bench, and attention to rifle and shooter position is essential. For the conditions, your groups are pretty good for light sporters.

Yellow Jackets and Copperheads are fairly good ammo, and if the rifle shoots well with them, they can shoot really decent groups. Most groups fall apart when they go trans-sonic, and become unstable, at about 85-90yds +/-.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.