Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a levergun fan and shooting and reloading for Marlins in 30-30,32-40,32special and 38-55. I recently accquired a relined Ruger #1 in 25-35.

Now comes the problem. I just accidently ran accross an unusal rifle in 219 Zipper. An elderly benchrest shooter has a rechambered Ruger #1 Varmint model in 219 Zipper with set trigger. This rifle apparently began life as a 223 varmint model. The gun wears a Burris 12x scope. The gentleman is asking $600 for the gun and scope with a set of 219 Zipper dies and some ammo. I do not need this gun but to round out the rimmed cased family, it is really calling out to me.

QUESTIONS- Will the zipper do anything that a 223 or 22-250 won't do as well? Does this piece have an real advantages other than nostagia? How hard is the brass to reform?

What do you guys think?

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
No it won't do anything the others won't do, it is .224 diameter, neck diameter .252, shoulder .364, base .421, rim diameter .497, case length 1.94, OAL 2.26. That said I paid that much for mine in a Marlin lever action and even though I have yet to shoot it, would not part with it. I read that there were problems stabalizing the bullet which may indicate they chose the wrong twist rate, not sure. Mine did not have a scope.\

PS you double posted so you may want to delete one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts