Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im about to re barrel a 336 SC to 219 zipper (ill post a build thread soon). I was wondering what you guys are using for bullets as i want to use the tube and most .22 bullets are pointed now days. Any good suggestions on bullets would be appreciated. I was thinking about maybe trying cast bullets but at the speeds of the zipper im not sure if it would work.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
WyomingWhitetail said:
So im about to re barrel a 336 SC to 219 zipper (ill post a build thread soon). I was wondering what you guys are using for bullets as i want to use the tube and most .22 bullets are pointed now days. Any good suggestions on bullets would be appreciated. I was thinking about maybe trying cast bullets but at the speeds of the zipper im not sure if it would work.
I have had the best accuracy so far in my limited testing with the Sierra 60gr HP bullet.You just load one the the tube and one in the chamber.I would not try cast unless you can find a very reduced velocity load.I have no interest in cast in the zipper though.Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you plan on re barreling you must have a lathe. What I did with my 338 was to make a split collet up the caliber you want , put it in the lathe and cut the bullets back to the nose meplat you want.Make the collet with a stop so the bullet goes in the same depth every time and use a stop on the lathe and go to it.
I am in the middle of building a zipper as well, I have a bunch of 46gr .224 bullets I used in my 218 bee I will use as well,just keep velocity low with these bullets though. good luck with your build and keep us posted. Steve! ;D

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I have been using 55 sierra spitzers (1+1,) but I just picked up a couple of hundred Remington 55 grain PLHP (Power Locked Hollow Point.) Ken Waters highly recommended them in his "Pet Loads." They are just blunt enough to use in the magazine (IMO-they are about like the 45-46 grain Win HP that I have used a good many in my .218 Bee) and according to Mr. Waters and another several loaders, they are accurate! Bench resters apparently love them. 29 grains of H-4895 in Winchester cases is said to be max, however my cases are Remington reformed from .30-30 and I don't like to max out the velocity, as you know barrels are not easy to come by, so I use a little less. One thing I have noticed on both Win and Rem parent brass is that the makers are skimping a little on rim diameter (no problem) and rim thickness, which gives the illlusion of a few thousandths headspace. I don't think it it enough to be dangerous, but the primers do back out a corresponding distance. Save yourself some of the case re-forming grief and order some Win .25-35 cases. Supposedly, they are a simple resize in the .219 dies. Good day and best wishes with your projrct, Jack

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea im not worried about slinging the lead at absolute max, if i was i wouldn't be building a lever gun. im resizing winchester 30-30 brass, i haven't recieved my 219 dies yet but i picked up some 25-35 dies for cheap so i resized 50 30-30 down to 25-35 then ill resize them to 219. It seemed to work ok and any little dimples should fire form out ok. i would really love to be able to load the tube when i get done.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
WyomingWhitetail said:
yea im not worried about slinging the lead at absolute max, if i was i wouldn't be building a lever gun. im resizing winchester 30-30 brass, i haven't recieved my 219 dies yet but i picked up some 25-35 dies for cheap so i resized 50 30-30 down to 25-35 then ill resize them to 219. It seemed to work ok and any little dimples should fire form out ok. i would really love to be able to load the tube when i get done.
I resize 25-35 brass down to 219z as I have alot of the brass.Its an easy resize and then just trim it back to the proper length.I found the first two times the cases are fired I had to retrim the cases.I dont have the need to load the tube up as I just plink with it and since its an original zipper I dont want to chance damage to it.Even with the heavier bullets loaded light to medium I should be getting 2800-2900 fps.I have no interest in wringing out All I can get from it, because originals are rare and I have many other rifles for such things such as 223,6x45,243,257 wby.All in all its a fun rifle to mess with and really enjoy the caliber as I'm sure you will.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Levergunz, My thoughts exactly. If i want flat out, reach for the .223 or the .22-250. Original Zippers do not have to go flat out to be good. Good day, Jack

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea im not real interested in making this thing a hot rod im just gunna use it for general shooting which is why i would love to find some round nose bullets to use with it. Then i could use the tube and the small lost in ballistics wouldn't bother me.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
WW, look up the photo of the 55 grain rem PLHP on Midway or other internet site. It may be round enough to suit you. Good day, Jack

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i looked at the hornady, speer, and sierra sites earlier and they all showed bullets that would work but i haven't seen any locally so i might have to order them in.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
I had thoughts of trying the Sierra 70gr Semi spitzer.Looks like it may be rounded enough.

·
Registered
784 Posts
l loaded a dummie w/o powder and left it in the tube at the front and fired over thirty rounds through the gun just had to count , but all you'd have to do is put a different bullet in the dummie so when you levered it up you'd see it. Anyway after over 30 rounds the primer was just barely marked...............not dented this was w/ 46 gr dog towns hp which are fairly sharp.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't know if this will be helpful to you but I'e been shortening hornady boat tail bullets for one of my rifles. I use the Whidden Meplat trimmer with a drill motor attached. Below are some photos:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Winchester and Remington make 46 gr. hollow points and Speer makes a 46 gr. flat point----all are very accurate in my .218 Bee !

Hip

·
Registered
664 Posts
In my 336SC-219 Zipper, I use the Speer 46gr FP (#1024) pushed by H4895. The flat point works fine in a tubular magazine and is very accurate in my rifle.

·
Premium Member
11,580 Posts
Dan 444 said:
In my 336SC-219 Zipper, I use the Speer 46gr FP (#1024) pushed by H4895. The flat point works fine in a tubular magazine and is very accurate in my rifle.

Hi Dan,

I use the same bullet exclusively in my 218 Mashburn Bee and My Zipper...........I agree with your accessment.

I saw Pete a few weeks ago.........this cold weather is keeping us both off the range and inside.......We all need to try to shoot together when it warms up some..........What town are you in?

Tom

·
Registered
664 Posts
Tomray said:
Hi Dan,

I use the same bullet exclusively in my 218 Mashburn Bee and My Zipper...........I agree with your accessment.

I saw Pete a few weeks ago.........this cold weather is keeping us both off the range and inside.......We all need to try to shoot together when it warms up some..........What town are you in?

Tom

Hi Tom,

Good to hear from you. I'm in Avon. When you and Pete come out of hibernation and want to do some shooting, just PM me and I'll be there!

Best,
Dan

·
Premium Member
11,580 Posts
Dan 444 said:
Hi Tom,

Good to hear from you. I'm in Avon. When you and Pete come out of hibernation and want to do some shooting, just PM me and I'll be there!

Best,
Dan
Dan,

Will Do!

Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts