Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
Gotta' tell someone who'll appreciate this. Walked into one of my local gunshops and barely made it thru the door when the manager hands me a 1894CL in the Bee. Price was right, I'll only say <$500, and I did some perfunctory haggling, though only to keep my reputation, {;o).
It's got a bunged up scope mount screw that the gunsmith will remove, and I'll pick it up next week, just in time for some dies, brass and bullets to arrive from Midway.
Brophy makes no mention of it , to my surprise, anyone have any info on it?
Definitely a 6 groove Ballard barrel, which is a good thing!, and a 10 prefix serial #, so 1990 production.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Nice find Rrussell! If I ever come across a CL in .25-20, I may be in trouble!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doc Sharptail said:
Nice find Rrussell! If I ever come across a CL in .25-20, I may be in trouble!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
Doc,
I picked up an original "94 last winter on Gunbroker, 24" oct barrel in 25-20.
Marvellous shooter! Got together with some of the guys over at Accurate and we did a group buy on a Lee custom run. I got the GC version of a tumble lube RF that drops for me ~ 82 gr. I've been pushing the lil cartridge to 2100fps, oops, but MOA with the new Alliant 410 powder. It's a hoot to shoot! and wonderfully accurate. The 'modern' 218 Bee will be the next jump in velocity. And with some research on the cartridge , I'm gonna' be tempted to rent a reamer and do a 218 Mashburn on the chamber.
I'd highly recommend the 25-20, and just got dumb lucky on the Bee., lol, or else I been spending WAAAAY to much money in this gunshop. They got Marlins ready and waiting for me these days. The range is just around the corner, and what with the cold weather , I drop in for a coffee, a chat, and 'browse'.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
great purchase Russell! The .218 Bee is a neat little cartridge, and you'll have fun with it in a modern gun, that can handle the performance.
I've had a couple Bees over the years, although I'm Beeless now, I am negotiating on a Wrenchester 43 bolt action rifle, chambered in .218, and reamed to Mashburn, right now. It's a really nice one, and I hope the deal goes through!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey,nice find.I heartily recomend the Mashburn.I have one built on a Martini.Cases last much longer and adds enough zip to be worth the trouble.Nice thing too,the 218s fit right in and fireformed as you shoot. Best idea I've ever had.Good shootin..modoc

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mashburn

Gents,
Thanx for the input, the consensus seems to be that the 'improved' cartridge is well worth while. I've ordered some Rem 25-20 brass and hope to be able to neck it down without too much trouble to the Bee, Midway does have a Redding 'form and trim' die, but I'll see how I go with the straight Lee die set in the 218 Bee. I also got a 100 of Starline 32-20's on the way, possibly be able to step that down as well. If all else fails, Grafs has some Win 218 brass in stock, but at a 50%+ premium vs. the 25-20 variety.
That, and the fact that the available ammo seems to be running $40+ a box of 50! ouch!, I'll play with brass modifications, {;o). And eventually, though I swore I'd never get into it, casting 22 cal boolits, lol. Been getting some good results with 25cal cast, the next advance in 'micro-reloading/casting' is to get down to 50gr GC .224's. Never a shortage of challenges in the reloading game!
Cheers,
R*2

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Gosh, I haven't checked .218 Bee ammo in a long time! I've got 8 or 10 boxes of factory Rem. and win. and haven't gotten into them, because I have enough brass to work with. Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice find.... We paid pretty close the same $$ and I'm getting a set of dies thrown in. I have a bunch of new brass and a couple of boxes of reloads left over from my Ruger #1 that i had sold several yrs ago.
I need to redo the OAL on them as the Ruger had a real long throat.
They are loaded with AA 1680 and rem or WW 46 gr HP ( midway bulk)
No scope or scope mount with this gun but does have the Hammer extension on it. I'm looking forward to some quality range time with it soon. Do you know of anyone who sells cast 22 cal bullets? I have a hundred or so a friend had given me that I never got around to trying and he doesn't remeber where he got them from. Probably cheaper to keep using the bulk ones. They always shot good for me. The Speer 52gr HP with the big hole should work also. They are nasty on prarie dogs I know ! :lol:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have a 417 Stevens in 218 bee with a 12x Litschert. Most pleasant little rifle I have to shoot crows with. Just Dandy!!! moodyholler

G

·
Have CL's in 218 and 25-20 , so far I've had good results with jacketed bullets and very good luck with "home" cast bullets as well . With cast bullets they both make fun squirrel rifles :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts