Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was testing Barnes 46gr XLC's for his son's 22 Hornet and showed me where the Barnes manual said these were good rounds for deer. I have and 1894 in 218 Bee and he gave me some to load and try. I am dubious that such a light bullet, no matter what the design, would be a reliable deer killer. Does anyone have any experience shooting deer or comparable game with the 218 Bee. I have only used mine for varmits.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

I have to ask why you would want to. It will more then likely kill a deer but you also stand a great chance of the deer running a ways even with a good shot. that small of a bullet hole will only let a small amount of blood out.

Just go with your gut feeling on this one, if you feel it is to small it probably is,( to small for me) but if you feel the 218 can do it then try it. Just be ready for what might happen. Loosing a deer is no fun. I would try for something a little bigger.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
A lot of folks hunt deer in Texas with the 222, 223, 220 Swift and 22-250. They are neck shooters. I've killed a doe with the 222 as it was all I had at the time. I lung shot her and she dropped on the spot (boy, that was many moons ago).

I've got the 218 Bee and I think I would use something else nowdays.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The .218 Bee is marginal, even for small deer, and some states have caliber restrictions, so you might also want to check the Fish and Game people out.

Lee L.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 218 Bee isn't, nor would it become, my regular deer rifle. I've hunted with a Rem 700 in .30-06 for the last 25 years. However, I'm a contractor in rural Upstate New York and often carry the Bee in my truck (a shelf that takes the place of the sunvisor limits the length of the rifle I can carry and not be in the way of passengers or tools) and shots during hunting season have presented themselves. Was just wondering if anyone had any actual experience with this bullet in either the 218 Bee or 22 Hornet.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
I'm sure a bullet at the base of the ear would be a pretty good killer, but as with any gun, placement is a lot more critical than anything. Lots of deer have been killed with centerfire 22's, but I'd be hard-pressed to recommend it under anything but the best of circumstances.

Papajohn

Reactions: Travlin and GaCop

·
Registered
184 Posts
As nice of a target/varmint round as it is, I wouldn't use it on a deer ..
You must check your local regs, as many states won't allow anything
that is .22 or smaller caliber (centerfire or not) on deer.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I shoot a 22 Hornet quite a bit. Regular 22 bullets do not work well with this power. You need thin walled "Hornet" bullets to get enough expansion to enhance the explosive quality of the gun. It works very well for prarie dogs. I have shot a couple of coyotes with it, and was not impressed by its stopping authority. In Kansas, it is illegal to use a 22 of any sort for deer, and I believe looking at some of Ranch Dog's data with a 218, that the power levels of the 218 don't top the 22 Hornet by much if any. I would have serious doubts in using this for deer. Perhaps from a stand and within 40 to 50 yards with a well placed shot. Then again, why do it?

·
Administrator
23,795 Posts
#1 For a good many years the native Alaskans' most popular round was the .22 Hornet and they took everything with it.

#2 Used to be it was legal in Michigan to take deer with a .22 rimfire.
I have personally taken a quite a few deer with a .22 rimfire when it was legal. Never, shot one more than once. Never lost one.

#3 A .22 is still legal in this state as long as it is a centerfire

#4. I've shot a few deer with, 32-20 and 25-20.

#5. A 218 Bee most likely generates more power than a 25-20.

#6. It's as stated it depends on bullet placement. You do your part and the bullet will do it's.

#7. I would not take anything smaller than my .357 mag for whitetail deer anymore. Though I'm capable, and know I can do it.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
As long as you pretent you're bow hunting and make sure you're close enough for good head or boiler room placement and it's legal...shoot, dude...go have a ball!! If you try a strange angle or thru the shoulder shot, it ain't gonna be enough.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
9 Posts
What Tubby said...under the right conditions it will kill deer just fine. I armed my sons with a 243 for a first rifle and a 20 ga slug gun for another option.

The Bee or Hornet is capable for an expert, not for a beginner....think of it as a .410 bore...it's an expert's gun.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
An old fella I was talking to in '73 near Leavenworth Kansas shot deer on his own farm just about anytime he needed meat. Used a .22mag. Climbed up a tree in the apple orchard and popped 'em in the head up close.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
A nice neck shot or head shot will poleaxe the largest buck with a 218 Bee. I know folks that kill deer every year with a Hornet. The 45 grain Sierra round nose Hornet bullet will shoot side to side on a deer and not blow up but the 46 grain HP will come apart usually. I plan to try and kill one this year with my Bee just for the fun of it. It will be strictly a head shot and nothing else. I will limit it to 100 yards and not worry about it one bit. I have killed quite a few over the years with a 222 and beleive me they are usually DRT when shot in the neck at 50 to 60 yards. I don't make a practice of deer hunting with the 22 cals but if you put the bullet in the right spot its all over for bambi. A hog is about the same, just got to hit them right and not stretch the distance.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
So Swany I gotta ask! When it was legal to shoot with a 22 lr, where did you aim on the deer and how far did it run? I won't be doing it but it would be nice to know what to expect in a SHTF scenario.

#1 For a good many years the native Alaskans' most popular round was the .22 Hornet and they took everything with it.

I have personally taken a quite a few deer with a .22 rimfire when it was legal. Never, shot one more than once. Never lost one.

#6. It's as stated it depends on bullet placement. You do your part and the bullet will do it's.

#7. I would not take anything smaller than my .357 mag for whitetail deer anymore. Though I'm capable, and know I can do it.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Years ago I hunted a camp where the owner fell and knocked off the scope on his 308. Fortunately he had his 22-250 along for some reason and used that for the rest of the week. He did kill a deer but he was a really good shot and shot one at the base of the skull.
If you get them close and can shoot one at the base of the skull or hit the spine in the neck you can do it.
Kind of like taking your cousin to the prom- better than nothing, but not what you wanted to do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So Swany I gotta ask! When it was legal to shoot with a 22 lr, where did you aim on the deer and how far did it run? I won't be doing it but it would be nice to know what to expect in a SHTF scenario.

Well I can't speak for Swany, but for me a head/neck or just behind the 4 leg with a 22 or 22 magnum I've dropped many right where they stood. It's not the caliber but where you put it that counts.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
You could also kill a deer with a rock, but is that what you want to hunt with. With so many better options, I have to agree with the above poster that asked, WHY?

·
Registered
37 Posts
For the same reason I ask why do so many people feel they have to have a cannon to kill a deer with? I was watching a hunting show just the other day. Where the guy was using a 300 mag. The deer was probably no more than 30 yards broadside. When he shot the point of impact was 6 foot behind the deer. The camera also showed the bullet struck a small tree a foot high off the ground... reason being he was dreading the kick so much he must have had both eyes shut as he jerked the trigger. That to me is dangerous because if your that afraid of the gun then who knows where you're actually aiming when you fire. Maybe high, low who knows where. So I see the possibilities of an accidental shooting or crippling an animal and it getting away much higher. Than if you used something smaller that you were more comfortable with. MY pICS 008.jpg

Here's a pic of the last doe I took with my 1894 25-20, 100 yard head shot. She dropped where she stood, didn't jump back up and asked me "Why didn't you shoot me with something better?"

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

i thought the native Alaskans used the .222 ?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts