Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi 1894 aficionados
I don't see too many threads on the 218, but I was hoping I might pull a few Bee shooters out of hiding. I recently picked up a CL in mint (possibly unfired) condition. Most of my pistol caliber 1894s tend to group around 2" @ 100yds. When I first shot the .218 it scattered pretty badly, grouping several shots unpredictably in a 3" spread. I spent some time on the bore, and next time out it shot much more consistently to about 1.5". Reasonable for a walking varminter, but I will probably do some accurizing work when I get time and see if that can't be improved. Have any of you attained better results? What ammo or handload are you using. To lay in a small supply of cases I bought 100rds from Reed's Ammunition and Research. Fast service and quality ammo built in Win cases and Hornady Bee bullets. Just starting to experiment with hand loads. This may repeat earlier efforts, but please share your thoughts and feelings on the 218.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I had one for awhile never really did much shooting with it and the ammo I had was a mixed lot of reloads .Wasn't impressed with it I guess I was used to accuracy of my 222 and 223 . Nice round for what it was intended to do and when they started going for high $$$'s mine found a different home.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there RPP -- You'll probably see a marked improvement in accuracy with hand loads. My rifles adore those Hornady 45 grain BEE bullets and 2400. Works very well in both the Winchesters and the Marlins. The Winchester and I have covered a lot of country over a long period of time and usually gets the call. The 24" barrel gives it a slight edge over the 22" Marlin barrel. Those Hornady BEE's have some energy at 100 yards. Here's where two of them landed...

View attachment 105783 View attachment 105784

Best regards. Wind

1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there RPP -- You'll probably see a marked improvement in accuracy with hand loads. My rifles adore those Hornady 45 grain BEE bullets and 2400. Works very well in both the Winchesters and the Marlins. The Winchester and I have covered a lot of country over a long period of time and usually gets the call. The 24" barrel gives it a slight edge over the 22" Marlin barrel. Those Hornady BEE's have some energy at 100 yards. Here's where two of them landed...

View attachment 105783 View attachment 105784

Best regards. Wind
Thanks Wind, and thanks for the pics. That's a gorgeous '92 you have there. Awful background though. Couldn't you have found some cars, garbage cans, and power lines? So far I'd have to agree with your assessment of the 45gr Hornady's. Haven't been able to buy that component yet, but the Reed's ammo came loaded with them, and my Sierra hornet bullet handloads have not beaten those. Those Bees are fun to send down range. I look forward to spending more time with mine. Thanks for sharing.

Best,
AD

·
Registered
36 Posts
G'day RPP, I too bought a mint (nib) bee a couple of years ago, original box, papers etc. Tried a few different loads and settled on 14.5gr of AR2207, CCI400 primer and the Hornady 45gr bee bullet. Shoots consistently inside 1.2moa and also holds its zero pretty well over summer and winter.

AR2207 is an aussie powder equivalent to H4198, IMR4198, Reloder 7 and W680 according to our manufacturer.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Hey Bob, Re7 is a very good powder and will do about anything 4198 does, and usually better.

Mark.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Best luck I've had with my Marlin is the Hornady Bee Hp's, 45 gr VMax are a close second. No luck at all with 50 or 53 gr VMax. Have only tried 2400 so far, I use it with a few other things so I have a fair supply. If you google it you'll find a thread in here from way back with some good info.

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
Mine won't shoot anything heavier than 45 grainers due to the fast twist (1-14", as I recall) but the Hornady Bee 45 seems to be the bullet of choice. I've tried 40's and even some 35 V-Max, but results were erratic this far. Lots of powders are potential candidates, Lil Gun, 2400, H-110, H-4198, even AA-2460 and 2520. If I ever get back serious testing I should be able to isolate a load it really likes. I've got some old W680 and AA1680 to play with too. Too many choices!

Reactions: GaCop
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the helpful input everyone. As soon as I can find some Bee hps I'll be doing some experimenting. There is a nice 32 cal CL headed my way now, so I guess I have that to sort out as well. Work never ends...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Outdoor Forums mobile app

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
papajohn, I guess you can call me lazy. I bought a Bee when they came out. I got 500 rounds of W-W brass. I have about a lifetime supply of IMR 4198. With the Speer Bee bullet, or the Winchester hollow point, both 46 grain, and 14.7 grains of powder, mine shot an inch and an eighth from the get go. Lazy perhaps, but that is good enough for what I expect out of the flat bullets. I use a 4X scope, as I think anything higher powered might tempt me to take shots that might be outside the limitations of the bullet.

I have toyed some with pointed bullets, but found the fifty grain PLHP and some Midway bulk bullets did not feed, so I abandoned them for the Bee and channeled them into the Zipper. The twist was likely not good for them anyway.

I came really close to swapping for a Ruger No. 1S in .218 a while back, but drug my feet too long and it went. I still have an urge to do that and use lighter spire point bullets. I think one could reach full potential of the little cartridge with that platform.

Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I came really close to swapping for a Ruger No. 1S in .218 a while back, but drug my feet too long and it went. I still have an urge to do that and use lighter spire point bullets. I think one could reach full potential of the little cartridge with that platform.

Best wishes.[/QUOTE]
=================================

Man, I wish you hadn't mentioned a No. 1 in this caliber, I thought I had buried that itch and here we go again...... the little lever is a ball to shoot, I sure wish I could find some of those Hornady 45 gr HP's, mine likes them a lot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.