Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to order a new scope mount going to be using a 4x16x40 scope and wanted to know if i needed high or mid scope mounts

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Depends on the scope, variable power ring/ocular bell diameter for hammer clearance are the determining factors, most scopes that have large dimensions there will require high or extra high rings, but scopes like Leupolds that have small rear parts, or the scope can be mounted so the hammer is just ahead of them can be mounted in medium and even low rings, but you can modify the hammer and make clearance for most any scope, that's well covered in the FAQs at GBO, see the low profile hammer mod links there.

Tim

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quickdtoo said:
Depends on the scope, variable power ring/ocular bell diameter for hammer clearance are the determining factors, most scopes that have large dimensions there will require high or extra high rings, but scopes like Leupolds that have small rear parts, or the scope can be mounted so the hammer is just ahead of them can be mounted in medium and even low rings, but you can modify the hammer and make clearance for most any scope, that's well covered in the FAQs at GBO, see the low profile hammer mod links there.

Tim
just looked thanks alot! that site has alot of great info on it!

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
This is one case where I'm not Pro-Talley. They are just too much of a chunk & clunck of metal. The weaver rail and a set of scope rings is about as good as it gets.

Clearing that nasty high hammer is the biggest factor.

One thing I did on mine since the pics is bob the hammer down a bit. Once you file that small groove for the hammer extension set screw, it ain't coming off. After I did this I was able to mount a lower set of rings.

Forgive me, I threw away the package for the Weaver Grandslam rings I used, I can tell you I went down one size on the rings.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jake said:
This is one case where I'm not Pro-Talley. They are just too much of a chunk & clunck of metal. The weaver rail and a set of scope rings is about as good as it gets.

Clearing that nasty high hammer is the biggest factor.

One thing I did on mine since the pics is bob the hammer down a bit. Once you file that small groove for the hammer extension set screw, it ain't coming off. After I did this I was able to mount a lower set of rings.

Forgive me, I threw away the package for the Weaver Grandslam rings I used, I can tell you I went down one size on the rings.
yea i may mess with the hammer today seems it gets the the way of low scope mounts

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
I think my difference was high to medium or maybe even extra high to high? I don't believe you would get away with lows, maybe?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jake said:
I think my difference was high to medium or maybe even extra high to high? I don't believe you would get away with lows, maybe?
yea high mounts would not bother me much i just dont want super high mounts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts