Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
545 Posts
Looks like a very nice example of a fine lever action, to me!

Caliber?

Reactions: ballistics04

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was running out of ammo. Shot about a box to sort out shim or no shim on the RPP sight, then had to fit a new front sight and get dialed in. It grouped well all day, just took some fiddling to get it set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,929 Posts
Congrats on a nice looking rifle!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Last shot was a single shot freehand and standing at 35 yards.

Good deal. I haven't been able to shoot like that standing free hand since sniper school and that was a very looong time ago, like 1967.

·
Banned
545 Posts
1895CB 45-70

Aha,... a bowling ball chucker!!! 👍 I have its little sister, a 444.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My May 2019 CBA is also a very nice gun! I love it. I have about 350 rounds through it now but I'm only working with 100 rounds of brass. 250 more on the way

·
Registered
32 Posts
That’s a nice rifle. I have a 1895 in 45-70. Reloading powder I use is mostly IMR3031 for a hard cast 405gr RNFP and Varget for 350gr Hornady Interlock JFP. I’ve shot several deer with the 350gr Hornady’s with Varget. I hunt in the woods and trees so most shots were way less than 100 yds. For a light recoil round for target practice, Trail Boss behind a 405gr cast FP is fun but I wouldn’t use it for hunting.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I too have a Remlin 22" 1895 made a few years ago (2015, a few years after Remington sorted out the initial QC issues) and it like yours is perfect. Straight sights, good wood to metal fit, smooth action, etc. It will do 2" five shot groups at 100 yds with my reloads. Just under 1" at 50 yds. I also installed a grind to fit Limbsaver which makes a huge difference compared to the red rubber pad that comes stock.

I also bought the RCBS three die set for 45-70 and have reloaded 600 rounds with them (and shot through the 1895 with no issues), and they work great! I reload some powder puff loads, using 300 gr. RNFP's on top of 14.2 gr. of TrailBoss for just north of 1,200 fps. Can shoot these all day - not punishing at all. You can also use pistol powders for low recoil loads, but must be vigilant about not getting a double or triple charge in that large case and making for a very bad day.

Enjoy your shoulder mounted artillery!!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Can’t find a thing wrong with it.
I changed the sights, recoil pad and did a safety delete.

2 shots at 100 yards.

I am glad that you got a good rifle. It says something that it is a big deal when someone buys a remlin that has no faults

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was running out of ammo. Shot about a box to sort out shim or no shim on the RPP sight, then had to fit a new front sight and get dialed in. It grouped well all day, just took some fiddling to get it set.

Congrats on a beautiful rifle.

Can you elaborate on how hard it was to get the sights dialed in?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats on a beautiful rifle.

Can you elaborate on how hard it was to get the sights dialed in?
Pretty easy aside from I started out going the wrong way with the front sight. I have a little bag with assorted front sights. I tried three before I realized I was going the wrong way. Then I put the .50 fiber optic back on and had to remove the shim under the rear sight. The screws were too long and were locking the bolt up. I filed them down to allow clearance. The sight is bottomed out and hitting two inches high at 100 yards, which is good with me. If anything I have flies higher than the federal fusions, I may one day need a taller front sight. Fitting a front sight is just a few strokes at a time until the dovetail goes about half way in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pretty easy aside from I started out going the wrong way with the front sight. I have a little bag with assorted front sights. I tried three before I realized I was going the wrong way. Then I put the .50 fiber optic back on and had to remove the shim under the rear sight. The screws were too long and were locking the bolt up. I filed them down to allow clearance. The sight is bottomed out and hitting two inches high at 100 yards, which is good with me. If anything I have flies higher than the federal fusions, I may one day need a taller front sight. Fitting a front sight is just a few strokes at a time until the dovetail goes about half way in.

Thank you

1 - 20 of 29 Posts