Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Hough's had a good season this year filling all of our buck tags. Two bucks were taken with a crossbow and two bucks were taken with a bow, (Sorry, no Marlin lever gun stories to tell this season).
The shortest distance shot was right around 15 yards and the longest distance shot was 37 yards. All were shot from ground blinds this year.
The crossbow used was a BearX Bruzer FFL using 22" Trophy Ridge Insidious Bolts (10.7 GPI and a straightness of +/- .001) with 150gr Rock Cutter fixed blade broadheads.
The bow used was an Obsession Evolution using Easton Full Metal Jacket arrows with 150gr Rock Cutter fixed blade broadheads.
I like the heavier 150gr Rock Cutter fixed blade broadheads for a number of reasons, even on my smaller diameter arrows that I use on my Obsession bow. The kinetic energy is high, especially on these 325+fps x-bow and bow setups. I quit using the mechanical broadheads after having several that had broken blades from hitting bone and also not delivering complete pass-throughs. With these 150gr fixed blade Rock Cutter broadheads, each one I've shot an animal with has been a complete pass-through and none have ran off more than 70 yards from where they were shot, even running downhill.
The ages of the bucks were 3 1/2 years old to over 8 1/2 years old. The deer on the lower left hardly had any teeth left as they had been ground down to almost nothing.

The deer head in the upper left corner had his nose munched on by a Opossum when I left it outside overnight, which is why the nose area of the skull looks different than the other three skulls after being cleaned.

Before cleaning the skulls:

IMG_7532.JPG

After cleaning the skulls:

IMG_7551.JPG

IMG_7552.JPG

IMG_7553.JPG

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Congratulations on your successes!
Those are some beautiful bucks.
Oh, and I hear nose-fed possum makes some good eating.

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts
Wow!

Reactions: khough

·
Premium Member
2,394 Posts
Looks like your doing what it takes to have pretty deer like those!

congrats! All those are dandy ones!

Reactions: khough and F150Grrl

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
You sure those were not small Elk,Ya'll done good congrats.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Wow! Beautiful racks. Nice work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts