Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Marlin 45-70 with 22" barrel. Bought it on 12/5/16 and had it all apart on 12/5/16. I want to help that hard to pull trigger so I replace it with a WWG trigger. I also removed the spring and the plastic follower and replaced the follower with an nice WWG follower. I also replaced the stock lever with a large loop style. I did check out the action where the barrel screws in and the action looks good, but I can see a little of the threads from the barrel where they cut out for the loading tube but the meat of the action is good. I took it out after the moods and it shoots great. That trigger is light and smooth. I have ordered a book on Accurizing The factory Rifle by M.L.McPherson. I was lucky on the changing out the standard lever for the larger loop lever in that my punches are high carbon. That pin was stuck in there. I removed one loop off the spring and polished the finger lever plunger. This has made working the lever thru a cycle much smoother. I like the 45-70 and how accurate this rifle is. I have now shot about 100 or more rounds thru it and this is one smooth rifle. Look to do more tuning any one have any tips for accurizing or smoothing out this rifle. This is my first Marlin.:hello:

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Welcome to MO!

Reactions: moofy07

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Welcome to MO.......a few things I do to make 'em slick....main & lever springs replaced with Wolff lightweight springs

using a buffing wheel to polish...lever cam/snail area...ejector...bolt...hammer bump...ejector slot in bolt w/600 grit using file or

popsickle stick....hammer nose....pivot point & trigger engage points...carrier contact points....hammer/carrier screws..locking bolt

clean up & lightly oil upon reassembly....I buff only.....no grinding......SS mag follower replaces plastic OEM style..clean inside

magazine tube with patch & light oil....X/bolt safety goes away too with a delete...cycle the action 100+ times.....go shoot !

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Sounds like you have it right, a few pics is mandatory for the forum. and welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips and I will try my hand at getting pictures up loaded. Good at taking pics but getting them to up load to the site now that might be a little more challenging that building a rifle from scratch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMG_0075.JPG This is my 45-70 with a 22 barrel. It is a 2016 buy and I put a Zeiss scope and changed out the trigger with a happy trigger. I also installed the loop style lever and put the metal follower in the magazine. I did remove two coil off the locking bolt. The next move is to find out if you can cut down the hammer so it dosent hit the bolt when cocking the rifle. Has anyone done this.

·
Premium Member
10,742 Posts
Welcome and nice rifle. Sounds like you know what you want and are doing to make it the best it can be. Hang around and enjoy the best forum on the planet. The 45-70 is a great round IMHO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I enjoy working on guns and making them perform to their best. I am reading M.L. McPhersons book on Accurizing the Factory Rifle. This book has a wealth of knowledge in it. I have several of P.O.Ackley book that a gunsmith left me but they are from the 1960's. Still use them for reference. ed#1.jpg

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
View attachment 361362 This is my 45-70 with a 22 barrel. It is a 2016 buy and I put a Zeiss scope and changed out the trigger with a happy trigger. I also installed the loop style lever and put the metal follower in the magazine. I did remove two coil off the locking bolt. The next move is to find out if you can cut down the hammer so it dosent hit the bolt when cocking the rifle. Has anyone done this.
Not sure what you mean by not having the hammer hit the bolt upon cocking.

It is the bolt that pushes the hammer back to full cock when cycling the action. If you lower the surface where the hammer hits the bolt, the hammer may not go to full cock. This is very easy to do, and has happened when folks are trying to polish a radius onto the hammer contact surface to slick up the action. Have a close look at the contact area. There is very little metal there that can be removed before the hammer will not go back into full cock.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/293914-i-screwed-up.html Read down about 5 posts....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked at the post and I just got my diamond polishing stones and slicked it up. Glad I ask the question before I leaped, or I would be looking for a new hammer. :musicus:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts