Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to handle three of them including one in 35 Rem at a local Gun Store.I have to say that I could not find anything wrong with them that would stop me from buying one if I were in the market.They are way better than what was put out recently.just my opinion,OB

·
Registered
569 Posts
Glad to hear it, I hope quality continues to improve.

·
Administrator
30,583 Posts
I'd be interested to know what specific models they were besides the 35REM.

I was at Sportsmans Warehouse a couple weeks ago and for the first time in years saw they had a 336SS on the rack. I asked the clerk how recent the build is and he said very recent then proceeded to say that Marlin's recent builds have been getting better. I asked to see it and as he handed it to me cycled the lever open. I checked the furniture first and while the gaps have improved the forearm to receiver fit was not tappered, just blunt cut. The pressed checkering was deplorable and mentioned to him they need to make improvements in the wood and he agreed.

Then I checked the sites, on straight and the metal finish and inside the action looked rather good. Then I went to close the action... locked open. As I handed it back to the clerk I said this one must not be representative of *getting better* and took the rifle and tried everything he could to close the action. Finally, in disgust, walked it to the back room.

That said, I hope to see some these Marlins that are indicative of the improvements I continue hearing about. I remain cautiously hopeful.

Jack

·
Registered
422 Posts
I hope they continue to improve.......... I heard the 444 was coming back! (I hope that's true)

Reactions: GaCop

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
They MIGHT get it right in let's say, 50 years.? By than JM's will be even more collectable than now, And even more spendy than now! :flute:

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
I had a chance to handle three of them including one in 35 Rem at a local Gun Store.I have to say that I could not find anything wrong with them that would stop me from buying one if I were in the market.They are way better than what was put out recently.just my opinion,OB
I posted a thread on this recently. The 336SS my LGS had looked really good. They also had a Guide Gun with a really smooth action. I gave that one an A-/B+. I would not have hesitated to buy either one.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I don't know that buying a firearm should be like playing roulette. Remington has to get their QC together, there is far too much competition out there. Businesses that don't have a quality product for a competitive price do not survive.

Mike T.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
That is good news. There is no future for Marlin lever guns otherwise.

Mark.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like mine. I looked over three when I bought it and couldn't find anything wrong with them.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I looked at a 336SS in 30-30 at Cabelas the other day. They also had a G prefix Waffle Top SC that unfortunatly someone had drilled the top tang 4 times for a tang site. That being said, I still would have bought the 1950 Waffle Top. And it was $579. I will say the SS wasnt bad but it wasnt no1950 Marlin.

Hayden.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I don't care how good the new Marlins get, I'll never buy one just for the reason that they are made by Remington.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I don't care how good the new Marlins get, I'll never buy one just for the reason that they are made by Remington.
Agreed. They gave the Marlin employees a screwin' so I won't buy a Remington firearm. There are a lot of other choices out there.

Mike T.

Reactions: GaCop
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.