Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I have what is referred to as rusty hands and my hands will easily leave prints even on well finished and blued firearms/metal the only rust preventative I have ever used that actually works for long periods of time is eezox it is dry and stays where you put it last for at least a year of heavy use etc and many years of casual use. If you do try eezox from what I have seen it requires at least 3 coats and a day between each flashing off, sunshine or heat helps the process as well, and a breakdown of the firearm is needed use a small artist paint brush, pipe cleaners, q-tips, and cleaning patches to apply... a soft rag, microfiber cloth, q-tips, pipe cleaners etc to remove and you need to gently wipe the remaining oil off but do not polish it off let this stand for several hours or 2 days max to finish flashing off. This may sound like a lot of work however it's not bad and most of the time spent is waiting between cure/flashing off when finished you don't have to worry about it anymore the dry finish does not migrate, resist even my finger prints and last and last. This also takes care of and preservatives from manufacturing, removes all the oil, gunk, dirt etc from previous use and sprays and cleaning chemicals that have run into the action and the rear tang area.. Don't forget to get inside the magazine tube and spring every steel part needs cleaned and coated.

As to Marlin blue I have had problems with it even the older marlins, it seems the blue rust easy I guess the big flat sides are easy to swipe as well...but even marlin 22 bolt rifles I have had problems flash rusting and once it starts it seems to rust easier and easier, I have purchased marlin bolt action 22 rifles that were new with stickers and box from the early 80's (this was purchased in early 90's) that had rust on them for $30-$50 outstanding buys even back then.

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
I don't want to bust anybody's bubble here,or oversimplify all those theories,but properly cleaned and lubricated steel can't rust. It's a physical impossibility. If you've got any ferrous metal separated from atmospheric oxygen and moisture by a coating of high-quality lube,and it was carefully cleaned and dried beforehand,rust cannot form.
The OP washed away the lube coating by overcleaning with Action Scrubber,and never re-lubed. So the bare steel rusted.

Rob

Reactions: -69.55

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok, for a long time Ive stored rifles and handguns in VCI Poly bags and had no problems. Ive come back 4-5-6 years later and the guns were just as I left them.

That said.....I live in So. Calif. where its very dry and so its hard to know what helped more, VCI or low humidity or both. I dont know. This year, I'll check on rifles I havent looked at in maybe five years and if there is even a hint of rust, Im calling the Russians to send a 55-gallon drum of COSMOLINE which i know will make them smile!

·
Registered
711 Posts
for what can worth, I live surrounded by salt water lagoon_ Ballistol never failed to work, here, even in the long time storage.
in lack of more specific products, medical vaseline oil or industrial vaseline grease will do the job, without any chemical smell.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've long sold the Marlin and bought a ton of other Marlins but these days I stick with Barricade and Frog Lube. If I let something sit a bit longer I use Boe-Shield and wipe away the excess onto the barrel and metal parts.

·
Banned
199 Posts
I've long sold the Marlin and bought a ton of other Marlins but these days I stick with Barricade and Frog Lube. If I let something sit a bit longer I use Boe-Shield and wipe away the excess onto the barrel and metal parts.
I've been using Barricade for over 40 years { used to be called Sheath } , it's always worked great , my guns fron 40 years ago still look like new .

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Probably a bad wash job after bluing. Oil coating over the top.

I have found that a coating of CLP will work. It is also a water displacer.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts