Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a little searching and found some stuff that LH shooters would enjoy.

1. Sako is releasing a model in LH, M85 I think. Looks very nice.

2. Zoli will begin importing their Itialian made LH rifles this year. Not sure on the cost but they have a beautiful European style and a good variety of calibers.
zoli

3. Montana Rifle Co. is releasing a LH version this year at some point. I absolutely love their stuff. I just bought an action for a build in 350 rem Mag. Once its built i will put it up. Not alot of LH 350 Rem Mags out their.

4. Zastava continues to have a solid platform based on Mauser. I wouldnt mind grabbing one and doing some work on one. Would like to find one in 300 winny and maybe out a synthetic stock or redo the wood.

Guys, If you find something new and important to LH shooters please post!!!

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
1. Sako is releasing a model in LH, M85 I think. Looks very nice.
Awesome!! Not sure how I hadn't heard about this one.

Some other cool rifles: Beretta is supposed to release their ARX100 this year in the US. It's a battle proven fully ambidextrous neat little carbine.

San Tan Tactical has a very nice new fully ambidextrous AR-15 lower. I picked up one of these recently and am building it with a Noveske barrel, BCM KMR rail, Aero Precision no forward assist upper, Raptor charging handle, and transferring my battle arms ambi safety and Geiselle SSA trigger to it. Should be an extremely ambi AR-15 without having to use non-standard bolt parts.

I picked up one of those lefty Zastava mausers in 30-06. I have yet to shoot it but it looks nice enough. The stock is a little crude but acceptable. The metal finish makes up for the stock, and is very well done. Action isn't very smooth out of the box but isn't terrible. I may have a good smith work on it at some point. They're reputed to be very accurate.

Reactions: moofy07

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tikka makes some LH. Available at Cabelas.

Reactions: moofy07 and Gr8rtst

·
Registered
926 Posts
Fellers I'm not a lefty, but my middle boy (7) is wrong handed. I was a adamant that I wanted him starting off with a quality little left handed .22. I wanted him focusing on essentials, not on how to wrap himself around a rifle. Low and behold Savage makes their Mark II in a left handed youth model! It has the accu trigger, 10 shot detachable mag, it's slick and way accurate out of the box, and if you work the bolt right it'll feed shorts too. All this for $230. It's a mite big for him now, but he's still pretty good with it.

If y'all have a south paw young'un you might want to take a look.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Those savages are nice, my shooting buddy has one that I have shot a good bit. I love my CZ452 American left handed model with the Leupold 4x on top and would never trade it for a Savage, but I wouldn't say either rifle is a better rifle than the other. They're both excellent.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I've been looking to add a low recoil left handed rifle to the stable for my daughter this fall. I discovered she was left eye dominant when she was about six. We were at Cabelas playing the shooting game and she was having a difficult time shooting righty. I kept coaching her, but to no avail. she missed everything and looked uncomfortable. I gave her another few coins and left her alone. She picked up the gun and went 19 for 20 left handed. We walked over to the gun rack and started browsing ambidextrous guns. I got her a TC Encore G2 with a .223 barrel, but I think she is ready for a medium caliber (.243,.260, 7MM-08) bolt action. I think I've narrowed it to Browning micro or a Savage.

·
Registered
24,870 Posts
One advantage southpaws have over the other side is that by sheer necessity, we have learned to master right-handed guns since day one and I think righties would have difficulty learning the left-handed way. I have a LH Remington 1100, Stag M8L and a Savage 93R17GVL - it took me a while to get used to shooting with LH guns after so many years shooting on the right side.

When I got the R93/17GVL, it came with a pretty plain-Jane stock. So I tried to get an upgrade from some of the major rifle stock companys (I'm having a mental block because I can't recall their names at the moment) so I called Savage and they had one done for me for $193. It fit like a glove but had to buy a trigger guard and trigger guard screw since they don't come with the stock.

Gr8rtst

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you are thinking about getting a black powder rifle you can't go wrong with an underhammer model. My father bought me one in 1964 and I still have, and shoot it! They are great to start out a LH youngster. They are ambidextrous and the cap flash is underneath the receiver. My H&A Buggy rifle is accurate and has a good trigger. You can still get the UH actions from Pecatonica River Rifle Works and I see complete rifles occasionally at gun shows.

Don

·
Registered
24,870 Posts
Works of art when you really get down to it. Nice collection.

Gr8rtst

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
back when I was shooting IHMSA sihlouetts in .22 version, I noticed that the expensive bolt guns are left handed. also, the xp100 remington is too. the bolt sticks out on the right, just where it should be for a bolt action pistol. the socalled left handed versions are hard to work.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hammertime;

You could do a whole lot worse than to get her a lefty Tikka in 6.5X55mm Swedish Mauser. Soft shooting, accurate as all get out, and kills way out of proportion to it's bore size. I could go on, but just got called to dinner.

MTDUC

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Savage makes a lefty .22 magnum for around 280 bucks (93GL). It's tempting...

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Fellers I'm not a lefty, but my middle boy (7) is wrong handed. I was a adamant that I wanted him starting off with a quality little left handed .22. I wanted him focusing on essentials, not on how to wrap himself around a rifle. Low and behold Savage makes their Mark II in a left handed youth model! It has the accu trigger, 10 shot detachable mag, it's slick and way accurate out of the box, and if you work the bolt right it'll feed shorts too. All this for $230. It's a mite big for him now, but he's still pretty good with it.

If y'all have a south paw young'un you might want to take a look.
The important question is, is he left eye dominant. A righty can teach himself to shoot off the other side and visa versa depending upon which eye is dominant.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.