Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hunting here in my home state of Washington of course; deer, black bear & elk. Hopefully will spend more time afield for chukar & huns as well now that I've got Dog to help me. I'm really hoping to draw a cow elk tag here this year. It's been quite a while since I put elk meat in the freezer, and I really don't have any room on the wall for another set of big ol' bull elk antlers anyway. Would rather hunt a cow elk this time. Not sure how hard I'll chase after bear either, the place is pretty well full up on bear rugs and there's still ample bear meat in the freezer. It isn't as popular here at home as is venison. There's also an area I'm just itching to hunt for mule deer doe, with my .30-30, hopefully I can get access that particular area...

Also applied for mule deer & pronghorn tags for Wyoming!

I don't hunt Wyoming every year, but it's been real good for me, I've always managed to fill my tag and bring home something; bull elk, mule deer and/or pronghorn. It's a long drive and it gets expensive, but as long as I can do it, I'll keep returning to the Cowboy State to hunt & fish.

What are your 2014 hunting plans?

Guy

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am going to just hang out at home(N.E. Alabama) and start out with some Dove hunting. Then bag a few squirrels and wabbits for the freezer. Then on to finish filling the freezer with Whitetail. Last winter I was not even well enough to fish, so I'm gonna have to replenish my supply of Slab Crappie. I intend to make up for missing the last season lol.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Will spend two weeks in November deer hunting in Michigan with my brother at our hunting cabin. Always a good time spending time with him and my old school buddies. The socializing with them has become more important than the hunt.:biggrin:

·
Registered
953 Posts
Starting a new job. No hunting for me this year. First time in 30 years I won't be hunting.

Key

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'll start off hunting wild boar in Southern FLA in early November then heading to southern Ohio for deer hunting after Thanksgiving with the Family in NW Ohio. Then back to FLA to more Boar action until end of March.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Most of my hunting will be in SW Alabama but if I can swing it I'd love to get out West for a hunt, if not this year then next year.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hunt Deer in my home state of Pa with my recurve and gun. Then take my recurve or muzzle loader I have not decided yet usualy use my recurve on my annual Back pack in Elk hunt to CO. Then go to VA and hunt deer in rifle season if nothing better comes up. Widow

Reactions: M700

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Crappie, cat, red ear, walleye and this fall some gigging on the st Francis or the Black. May turkey hunt this spring and whitetail of course. Then after deer season is out of the way the tailgate drops and the beagles hit the brush until the crappie start biting again. Every year it's the same old thing. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I din't think there had been a season on huns since WW1 ended

Reactions: hogbear and M700

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I'll be doing everything here in Az. as usual, just not sure what it will be exactly yet. Applied for Elk and Antelope already here, but the results aren't out yet... the applying for Deer, Fall Turkey, etc., tags starts fairly soon I think and will see what happens with that too. Other game, birds, squirrel, and whatnot I have no plans for either really, often they're just spontaneous decisions anyway lol; depends some on what my kids want to do too. In any case, usually one or more of my adult kids, and/or best friend, get drawn for something, so should get a couple/few good camping trips in even if not having a tag of my own; I enjoy just going along... :biggrin:
Maybe one of these days I'll hit the lottery and try to do some out of state hunting somewhere too... like Caribou in Alaska.. or something, ha!

Reactions: Papalote and M700

·
Super Moderator
8,036 Posts
Looks like most of my hunting will be on the farm in eastern NC. I have a lot of work to do in getting food plots, roads cut, and general maintenance. Hope I get it done in time to stop and hunt. I have 2 outposts built and we will build a 3rd one sometime this summer. outposts are on 16 ft 4x4 posts and each floor is 8'x8'. bottom floors are closed in.

Meanwhile work during the day at the farm and hunt yotes at night. will most likely hit the turkey season in a few weeks....guess I better get the feeders out...........

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hope to do some small game hunting this fall and then deer hunting with my 30-30 336sc in November

·
Super Moderator
24,971 Posts
When I get back from Afghanistan in July--major scouting will be done in my hunting area. That will determine where to place the tree stands this year. That is probably all I will get done prior to the fall--too much to catch up on and get done back at the house.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
Same as allways,, Kill a bunch of deer.
Hopefully a few big ens.
And 5 big Tom Turkeys..
Come on April!!
Been walking and riding around with a different turkey call in my pocket every day!:biggrin:
Good luck in all your hunting endeavors boys..
bbb.jpg 70.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
With any luck we'll hunt Texas for hogs and maybe put some buffalo meat in the freezer in the late fall. We sleep under a buffalo hide all winter and we could use another one.

·
Premium Member
13,620 Posts
Good thread Guy - I'll start off with turkey hunting this weekend in central Florida (fingers crossed). Then my regular fall deer and hog hunting just down the road. Prolly my last year hunting down here, plan to move to North West Georgia next June so...... will become a Georgia/Alabama/Tennesee deer hunter.

1895gunner

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Doves, Turkey here in Florida but will slip up to Northeast Alabama to take my Grand Nephews Deer hunting. Might even take a Rifle with me and hunt for a real Trophy Buck.
Hogs and Coyotes here as they appear. Hope I run into you Grumpy.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
I just cut there legs off above and below the spurs, and let em dry off for a week or so.
Then cut them into and clean em up good.
Then epoxy the two halves with the spurs together, with his beard in the middle with the dark colored epoxy.
I try to cut the spur halves a little over half way to give me more to work with and you have to be real careful with the scally part.
Sometimes that will want to peel off on ya, but it will glue right back on.
Sure hope that makes since to ya.
If not PM me.
Ive got a good many of em but thems my biggest toms.
But I do stuff with the jakes beards two.
And like making wingbone calls with there wingbones.
26425d1334569607-little-things-ive-done-small-antlers-tines-image0-7-.jpg 26839d1335137803-little-things-ive-done-small-antlers-tines-tc1.jpg 27311d1335739355-little-things-ive-done-small-antlers-tines-tc6.jpg 27886d1336350661t-little-things-ive-done-small-antlers-tines-tcf.jpg

1 - 20 of 59 Posts