Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the 357 MAX and getting ready to start handloading for it , I'm planning on useing mostly 180gr. Hornaday XPTs, 180 gr. Rem.,158gr. Semi-Wad cutters, and I ran across a box of 200gr. Rem. I've got 2lb.s of H110. So if you guys got any Favorite loads with this Powder that you would like to share I'd be thankful ..Oh Yeah I've got a Rossi Single shot rifle.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I think that I worked up to 19 or 20 gr. of H110 with the 200 gr. jacketed in my .357 Max. It is in the Hogdon Annual Manual as 20 gr. max.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hobie ,i'm refering to the 200gr. Cor-lokt Rem. bullet ,that is used in the 35 Rem., It does not seat as deep as most 180gr. bullets used in the 357 Max. I was thinking since it uses up less powder space than the 180gr. pistol bullets ,you could load it with more powder to equal or less pressure
Let me know if I'm wrong....

·
Registered
10 Posts
The maximum is one of my favorites for close in whitetails!!

I worked up a great and accurate load around the 180 hornady SSP bullet. Trouble is at inside 50 yrds it comes apart in Mr Whitetail. I have swiched to the Speer 180 FP, designed for the 35 rem. So far I have only got one deer to this bullet, but it seems to work much better.
I use 1680 powder and a SRM primer. I have cronographed it at just iunder 2300 fps from my 21" barreled H&R.

Here is my best 357 Maxi buck, got him last season:

CW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts