Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, new member with a couple of questions.
I'm looking at a 2009 production rifle in 357 mag. It has one of the engraved looking JM marks instead
of the regular stamp. What were the common issues with these rifles in the last year before moving.
From what I can tell, the wood has a nice fit. I have been looking for one for awhile and hope to finally
have this one in my possession.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,013 Posts
My 2008 JM Marlin had several serious issues when I bought it. I was reluctant to send it in for warranty because I figured if the inspectors let it pass the first time,what could I expect? I gunsmithed it at home,reading posts on this site and Paco Kelly's site,and now it's just fine. An extremely accurate piece.
My neighbors shot it and were so impressed,three of them went out and bought Marlins,two 1894s in .44 Mag,and one 1895 in .45-70. Their 1894s were all 2009 production and are perfect right out of the box. Just my luck.
Like any mass produced product,there's bound to be better and worse examples. Examine the rifle carefully,make sure it feeds and ejects,and the wood-to-metal fit is tight. Look down the barrel and check the bore. Buttstock tight? Will the seller let you test fire?
Buy it if you like it,good .357s are at a premium now.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
I have a 2008 .444 and a 2009 .45-70, both JM marked and both excellent rifles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I can not inspect it with a hands on. It is online. The pic are pretty good, but that is as far as it goes, their is an inspection period.

That is the reason that I asked if their were common problems, Any thing that could not be fixed without major head aches.

·
Banned
373 Posts
Buying any year Marlin is a gamble, sorry but that's a fact. And that statement comes from experience in buying Marlins for more than 25 years. The 1894's particularly had it's share of problems long before Remington started building them. All I can tell you, from my experience, is that some of the nicest functioning and reliable Lever action Marlins I have are 2009 year of manufacture.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
The flag has been deleted. Swany.

My apologies to you, Swany......but not to the troll who was bad mouthing the real Marlins.

View attachment 111500
Be who you are and say what you feel ... because those that matter... don't mind... and those that mind ...don't matter!

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Not sure there were common problems. That's when the QC may have started to be a little haphazard but I can't certify that. My wife's 2009 1895G had a cycling issue that was rectified with a little TLC guided by the action slicking thread (Gunsmithing section) and a little help from some of the experienced members here. If the rifle has cycling issues that can be corrected with some knowledge of the guts interaction and judicious use of polishing tools. Some earlier models have benefited from the same work too. It seems the rifles produced from 2009 to date need it more often than the models made up to 2009.

Issues that are hard to correct, if at all, would include sight dovetails machined off top dead center of the barrel as installed, front sight ramps with mounting holes rotated off top dead center, receivers that are threaded so the barrel appears to "droop", and wood that has had the inletting done too large or too small so the metal doesn't properly fill the slots in the wood. The sight indexing issue can be remedied but might take a fresh barrel. Depending on how the chamber end of the barrel is machined sometimes the barrel can be shimmed or machined to allow proper indexing and sight alignment. But, that is pretty expensive.

A lot of people have returned their rifles to Remington and had them repaired/corrected. However, that has been a less than 100% satisfying experience for many.

My list of issues isn't necessarily complete. A review of the threads in the Marlin Rant Forum would produce a comprehensive list of any and all issues reported.

Reactions: dubhhawk

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Common issues? Nah this is where folks wind up if they can not figure out what is wrong and they do a search.

So we see all the issues common or not. So figure we have over 55,000 members many of who came here looking for answers to a problem

now figure out what percentage of the guns produced are really problems? That will be very small.

Caveat, we do have people here and lots of ones elsewhere that may have problems if they every actually take that NIB unfired safe Queen that had one proof round shot through it but it was not cycled.

All in all the thing John Marlin came up with is pretty enduring and has few problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, thanks for the responses. I have had 3 marlin lever guns in the past. I do most of my own gun smithing. And for the times that is beyond my experience level or needs machinery that I do not have; I have a very good friend that is a retired gunsmith with all the machinery to help me out.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Only real issue I had with my Remlin 1894C was the dang barrel band screw would bend due to recoil. When bent, the forend would get loose and drive me insane. If I shimmed the forend tight, the screw would just bend more...if I used a harder screw, it would just break...bend it straight, it'd just bend again. All Marlin would offer is to send a new screw. To this day, I have nightmares about getting another like it. I never came up with a fix and finally sold the rifle w/full disclosure.

In all honesty, I would not buy a 2008 or later w/out the opportunity to inspect first.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Having this site as a resource to help with and identify problems, as well as needed corrective actions is much appreciated.
Don't forget to return the favor. With the resources and experience you have it sounds like you could fit right in as a contributor too. :)

Reactions: Sweetwater
1 - 13 of 13 Posts