Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
My youngest daughter just finished her freshman year at UW Oshkosh, here in Wisconsin. She has decided to transfer to the UW Parkside, which is a 25 minute drive from home. The reason being, she decided it's to expensive to live in the dorms and/ or rent an apartment. That saves her $8000 per year.
Now, she is looking at a 2008 Toyota CRV Limited, with a 2.4L 4 cylinder and 4X4. It has the normal auto transmission, not the CVT. There are 127,000 miles on it with an asking price of $6000 from a private party.
It drove and handled very nicely.
Now, I have owned two Prius and a 4Runner and all were great vehicles. Does anyone have any experience with the CRV? I hope she would be able to get another 100,000 miles out if it. Being $6000, it's costing her a good portion of her savings.
Andrew

·
Registered
28,777 Posts
You drove it and liked it! Does it come with records of oil changes, front end alignments, recorded gas mileage, tire rotation records? Did you have a certified mechanic check it out? I know questions, your daughter will depend on it.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I have one sitting in the driveway and mileage is just about the same. It is a Minnesota car and is driven about 35 miles round trip from my home to the UofM. No rust spots at all, no engine problems, no nothing. Interior is great. All that has been replaced is drivers sun visor. Kept up on oil changes etc. Great car.

·
Premium Member
10,414 Posts
I thought the CRV was a Honda. I would be more worried about the age than the miles of the vehicle. It does not sound like highway miles with a average of 10k a year. All that though Toyota's are good vehicles as you already know. Price without looking just seems a little high for one that old.

·
Premium Member
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You drove it and liked it! Does it come with records of oil changes, front end alignments, recorded gas mileage, tire rotation records? Did you have a certified mechanic check it out? I know questions, your daughter will depend on it.

ca'jun56
It goes to my trusted auto shop tomorrow.
I do not think the seller has kept any records, but the tires have a good 50% of tread left and there are no indicators of uneven wearing. It has had part of the linkage in the front end replaced. It seems fairly recent since there is not rust or any build up of grime. It wasn't easy for me to see, but I believe it is the front sway bar linkage that was replaced.
Like Mark's, in the previous response, it is rust free but has the typical 12 year old nicks and scratches in the paint.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought the CRV was a Honda. I would be more worried about the age than the miles of the vehicle. It does not sound like highway miles with a average of 10k a year. All that though Toyota's are good vehicles as you already know. Price without looking just seems a little high for one that old.
You are correct, it is the RAV 4 I am talking about.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
My wife's close friend has a 2009 RAV 4 with well over 200,000 miles on it. She keeps it serviced well and it has been trouble free. Still runs great!

Jack

·
Registered
28,777 Posts
Younger brother has a client, who buys nothing but Toyota's to deliver medic specimens all over Louisiana, some have 500,000 miles on them and still rolling! They will start burning oil at that kind of mileage! What gives the most trouble is the cooling fans, radiator on them and AC system. These cars are ran hard and never stop!

Unless that Rav4 was wrecked, buy it.

ca'jun56

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
We have owned multiple RAVs and CRVs and they are very good vehicles. The main thing with older, high mileage vehicles is the maintenance history. I know many people that don’t realize that things like oil changes are necessary.

·
Premium Member
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had my auto repair shop go over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. There were several parts of the suspension replaced, which is good. Everything looked good to the mechanic, but the wiper motor was fried and the plastic shielding under the front bumper was loose. The rear brakes are new and the fronts are at 50%.
He pointed out that the lower edges of the unibody, under the rocker panel, had been spray painted black. He thinks this was to hide any rusty colored areas because the sheet metal is still solid.
Again the asking price is $6000, but I felt more comfortable offering $5000, due to expecting any unforeseen expenditure that may come up.
I offered the $5000 but was turned down, even after pointing out the issues at hand. I am hoping that the owners change their mind and negotiate with me. I will come up a couple hundred.
Do you all think this is a good idea? I know Toyotas hold their value, but I do not want to over pay what the car is worth.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
10,414 Posts
I think they are asking near the max value of the car from what I can tell with online research. There are many of them out there so I would just move on to the next one if they don't like your offer.

·
Premium Member
4,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My daughter got this Toyota RAV4 for $5800. I think it was really worth the extra $800. I put in new spark plugs, since the car stilll had the originals. I also replaced the battery as it was in poor shape, according to the meter I put on it. It starts up easily and runs great. For being 12 years old, everything feels nice and tight.
The best thing is, I don't have to worry about her car breaking down on the road in the middle of nowhere. She also really enjoys it.
Andrew

1 - 14 of 14 Posts