Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to range today and it had a opening at one desk, I claimed it and shot three shots down range! Didn't hit the center of target, but did hit cardboard!
Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape Groundcover

Reed instrument Automotive tire Wind instrument Automotive exhaust Bumper

I hit the upper left corner of target. Next time I need to bring my spotting scope with me. I was aiming for between the eyes!

Orange Art Wall Graffiti Font

This is my first time shooting this 45/70.......

ca'jun56

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
At what distance were you shooting? Always start at 25yds to sight a gun in initially then work your way out. She's a great looking gun. You'll find that these things are kind of finicky as far as what ammunition they like best also. Keep us updated on your future dates at the range.

·
Super Moderator
36,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was shooting 100 yds! Next time I go I will use the sighting in station, which is 25 yds.
Thanks for the kind comment on my Marlin.

ca'jun56

·
Administrator
28,640 Posts
Very nice Marlin, Mike. Did you bore sight the scope or was it already mounted?

I bore site at 25yds at home, take a shot at 25yds at the range and make necessary adjustment if needed, then a shot at 50yds, and a 3rd shot at 100yds. Then put cross hairs on POI and lock the rifle down and adjust cross hairs to desired POI. Another shot to verify which is usually on the money. Then shoot a group.

You group at 100yds appears good so it should be easy to dial in and you'll have a shooter.

Wouldn't it be great to have a range at home? I'd love to have both a pistol and rifle range on some property in ID.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
36,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice Marlin, Mike. Did you bore sight the scope or was it already mounted?

I bore site at 25yds at home, take a shot at 25yds at the range and make necessary adjustment if needed, then a shot at 50yds, and a 3rd shot at 100yds. Then put cross hairs on POI and lock the rifle down and adjust cross hairs to desired POI. Another shot to verify which is usually on the money. Then shoot a group.

You group at 100yds appears good so it should be easy to dial in and you'll have a shooter.

Wouldn't it be great to have a range at home? I'd love to have both a pistol and rifle range on some property in ID.

Jack
I bought that 1895GS from original owner. It came just as you see it, he never shot it, he claimed to me. I just wanted to shoot it! It's been hiding in my gun safe taking up space. I did some adjusting on it, once I got home according to target behind the target I used, so many clicks right and so many clicks down! I will stick my bore guide in front of barrel and recheck where I'm at. That shooting range is always full of people on weekends.

ca'jun56

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Super Moderator
36,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that Sponge Bob?
That comes on the back of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal! It has the perfect face to shoot at! "SCARED"! :ROFLMAO:

ca'jun56

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Registered
478 Posts
Looks like nice range. Hope you get it sorted out and can enjoy that beautiful rifle.

@JACKTW , I’m looking forward to a day when I can even think about a home range

1 - 12 of 12 Posts