Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do yall think its possible to make a 200 yd shot with a short barrel like the Spikehorn has ? Maybe Lever Revolution ammo would do the trick ?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
easily! You won't need any kind of special ammo. I shoot my Texan out to 200 all the time. It can't be that much different. The real problem is the stock sights. The front bead is bigger than any animal you'll ever shoot at that range. ;D makes things very interesting. If you want to shoot that far I'd recommend scoping or replacing the sights. Then you'll have no problem and I think you'll be surprised how flat she'll shoot.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
If the shooter is up to it, the rifle can do it, easily -- no trick ammo required.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If the target is clearly enough defined the shot is competely possible given a capable shooter with a sight setting that has been proven. In IHMSA competition 200 meter shots are part of the course using ten inch barreled T/C Contenders with iron sights. To win the championship matches hits at 200 meters are required on targets approx seven inches in dia., and sometimes less.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I used to have a 336Y but sold it because the wood was so dense the carbine was almost two lbs more than what my 30-30 Marauder weighs.

Before I sold it I'd routinely shoot empty quart plastic oil bottles on the 200 yd berm, offhand, open sights. The front sight darned near covered the bottle, but I could see a "halo" of yellow (Pennzoil) around the front bead and it made making the hits easy.

Barrel length doesn't affect accuracy. It does affect velocity, but inherent accuracy is not affected. The perception exists because the sight radius of longer-barreled guns makes accurate hits easier with open sights. Put a 24" and a 16" rifle in a vise and shoot the same ammo and although the POI may differ due to velocity, all other things being equal the group size should be darned near the same.

Noah

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
200 heck you want to really blow them away then go for 300...my dad loves to mess with my uncle and grandfather and constantly shoots .30-30 out to 300 after they tell him it just aint possible. He groups like a madman with almost any rifle. Now I am trying to get him to freak them out with 200 yd shots from the 39A...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of getting one for a truck gun as I see coyotes and hogs when I'm out feeding the cows. I have an TC Encore now , but I only get one shot , and see 4 or 5 hogs at a time. I can hit an 8 in target everytime with my Win 94 , but the front sight completely covers the target at 200 yds. I would like to get a short , light , scoped Marlin for the truck and thinking the spikehorn would be the perfect setup . I'm new to Marlin rifles, so what other rifles made by Marlin fit bill ? Marauder's sound great , but apparently are hard to find .

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I know it's not a Marlin :-[ but you could also check out the new Ruger Scout or the older Frontier m77 MkII in 308. They have 16"bbl, and short length of pull(I think the same as the spikehorn?). I have the frontier in stainless steel with a foward mounted Luepold 2.5x scout scope. The thing is an absolute tack driver out to 200 and beyond! Also extremely compact, handy, powerful, rugged, and running shots are made easier with the long eye releif scope, keeping BOTH eyes open. The ultimate truck gun. Would be THE rifle you're looking for. I would buy a spikehorn in a second though and I am currently lusting after one! ;D

·
Registered
183 Posts
I took my Marlin 336 with short (16inch) barrel yesterday and fired a couple shots at 200 for fun. Was pretty good, bout eight inches low but shots were within an inch of each other. Can't see any problem with nailing a deer at that range.

Matt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. I hear lots of folks around here say the 30-30 is only a 100 yd gun. I cant wait to get me a short little Marlin and watch them eat their words ! :eek: I've seen some posts about the quality of new Marlins not being as good as the older ones . Maybe I should get an older and cut the barrel down ........ what do yall think ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts