Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the jm Limiteds or Cowboys with 24 to 26" barrels being in the $1k+ neighborhood now a days, I wondered about all the available 20" 336s and how much of a handicap they are ...or aren't. ?? I know, about 4 to 6" worth of sighting plane and velocity:biggrin:
Do competitors do ok with the shorter barrels?
I called BACO not long ago re the replacement barrels and they were out. Green mountain shows that they still offer a 38 cal tapered octagon barrel. Anyone try one? Thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there CS -- I don't think at 200 yards they are any handicap at all. We've got a guy here shoots a Winchester 16" Trapper in .357 and I've seen him shoot three 38/40 scores in rifle caliber events. Here is Wet Dog working his 20" barreled 45 Colt on pistol caliber critters...

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
94 Posts
Chris S. The biggest handicap has to do with vision. Most of us older shooters have trouble seeing the front sight with a shorter barrel. For me 26" is perfect, 24" is also ok, 22" not as good, 20" and under forget it. Also I have to have a receiver or tang sight with an aperture. I can't see through buckhorns at all. Al Foust

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Hey Guys,

I was surfing the net and found this article. Prior to reading it I was in the cowboy camp that I needed a longer barrel to be a "real silhouette shooter". Well no more, I will still shoot my longer barreled guns because they are cool, but not necessarily more accurate. Plus the extra money I will save will go into the JJP travel fund.

The Truth About Barrel Length, Muzzle Velocity and Accuracy | The Truth About Guns

This article should be made a sticky. It is great!

John

·
Registered
94 Posts
John, you might not want to give up your long barrels for silhouette. While the article thoroughly explains there is not much effect on accuracy in barrel lengths, it does not address sight radius. The gun in the test had a scope on it. Your cowboy silhouette guns do not have scopes. While a 26 in barreled gun may not be anymore accurate than a 20 in gun, you will be able to shoot it with more precision because there is less error in point of aim when the sights are slightly misaligned.

Al Foust

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Thanks, Al, I forgot about that. Have no fear of me giving up long barrels. Besides my Marlins I have 2 H&R Buffalo Classics with some hefty barrels. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts