Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
I lost my stepdad Jim 2 months ago, he was a friend and great father figure to me when my own dad died in 2015. I always thought he would be around for a long time as we had talked about plans to go hunting in Canada, hunting out west and in the mountains and fishing along the Rainy River. I've been hiding from the world because I don't know how to face this. Its tough to imagine all our plans and everything we said now all dust in the wind. His life was cut short on Jan 22 when he suffered a heart attack and died at home. Life hasn't been the same...
me_jim01.jpg me_jim04.jpg

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I’m very sorry for your loss.
Carry on Jim’s legacy by being what he was to you, to someone else. Make those plans happen and make a difference in someone’s life as he did with you. He will live on through you and your actions.

All my best to you and your family.

-Ken

·
Super Moderator
11,608 Posts
Sorry for your loss friend. I came from a non-hunting background but married into an outdoors type family with a good father in law that taught me to hunt starting with upland game birds. He's a good man and has been a positive influence on me over the years. This post reminds me that I need to give him a call to see how he's doing.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's rare to find people who are accepting out there in the world. I know Jim loved my mom and they spent as much time as they had. That fact alone that he took care of my mom is something I don't know how to repay him back.

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
Sorry for your loss 45 kid! Lost my dad over 20 years ago and there still isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him. As the others have said, keepin' some of those plans alive and mentoring someone else will keep his memory alive through you!

·
Premium Member
13,942 Posts
I am saddened to hear the bad news. Hang in there, as time heals all wounds...it just takes longer some times.

Just recall all the good times y'all had together and the good things he did for your Mother and yourself. And you should try hard to carry out at least one of the plans you and he had together, in honor of him. You know he's watching from above...........

Prayers sent for You and your Mother .

FWIW you and I dress a lot alike. Hang in there Brother. if ya ever get over here to NC, PM me and we'll get together.

RIP Jim.

Reactions: rclint and Kendawg

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I think everyone here understands loss. Happens to everyone somewhere along the line. Last year was a bad one for me too. Lost 2 of my best friends to Cancer. Lost my father, 5 uncles, 3 aunts and several other friends. I thought this year couldn't be worse, but have already had a couple other friends and family die. It's tough but for me I have come to accept it. I put time aside to allow me to feel the feelings. I have tried to run from them but it doesn't work. Allowing them to fill you is the only way to heal. Heard a long time ago that the only way out of a feeling is through it. The more you resist the longer it will persist.

I pray you find your consolement in your own way.
V

·
Registered
427 Posts
The_45_kid Condolences on the passing of your step father and dad. My dad all my uncles and many of my other mentor's have passed on and are now on the next part of the journey. They live on in my thoughts and heart as I'm sure your loved ones do as well. Look after your mom your dad's would want that. Almost Everytime I cast a rod I think of my uncle Buddy, Everytime I pull a crab pot from the bay I think of my dad. And so it goes with most of my life these days. The pain will pass and pleasant memories will fill the void. Do all the things you've done with them and smile they are. Godspeed my friend.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Before my dad passed we would meet a bunch of guys at a bar every Thursday for drinks and dinner, we would solve all the worlds problems and go home. Over a year after he passed I was on my way to the bar on a Thursday to meet the guys and I found myself at the traffic light across from his house, like I always did when I would pick him up on the way into town. For some reason it was in my sub conscience to go get him. It takes time to heal and as others have said, that it’s different for each person.

The best way to say thank you to Jim for raising you and taking good care of your Mom is to pay it forward to someone else. I’m sure Jim would be very proud of you for doing so and being a decent, good man as you already are.

-Ken

·
Super Moderator
15,420 Posts
Prayers Sent!!!!!

Reactions: the_45_kid

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am saddened to hear the bad news. Hang in there, as time heals all wounds...it just takes longer some times.

Just recall all the good times y'all had together and the good things he did for your Mother and yourself. And you should try hard to carry out at least one of the plans you and he had together, in honor of him. You know he's watching from above...........

Prayers sent for You and your Mother .

FWIW you and I dress a lot alike. Hang in there Brother. if ya ever get over here to NC, PM me and we'll get together.

RIP Jim.
I have a friend stationed in the Marines in that area, we've been planning for a hunting in trip in the Carolinas when we get a chance. I'll let you know

1 - 17 of 17 Posts