Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
202 Posts
Couple of points to bring up.

1. If the Winchester bullets Midway has are what they use in .356 Winchester ammo; the canalure for crimping may be in a different location, and may or may not work for the .35 Remington.

2. If they are meant for the .356, the bullets may be designed a bit tougher so they might not open easily at longer ranges if fired from a .35 Rem. The Hornady 200 grain RN are supposed to be a bit tough for the .35 Rem at longer ranges.

I don't know for sure, I have never been around a .356 Winchester, and I use cast bullets (the RCBS 35-200-FN) in my .35 Remington.

Good Luck,

Robert

· Registered
202 Posts
0.020" shorter should work fine, 0.020" longer might not, in some rifles. Thanks for checking, I wasn't clear if you had the bullets in hand or not.

You are right, I was repeating what I had read in that the Hornady is supposed to be tougher than the .35 Remington wants at 200 yards. Unfortunately the only deer I have personally shot with a .35 caliber rifle were shot with 200 gr PSP factory loads from my .35 Whelen. I must say the deer were suitably impressed with those.

I used the Hornady's in my first .35 Rem 336CS in front of a full charge of H335, and would have zero problems using them on deer. The guy that owned my 336A and loaded for it had several boxes of the 200 gr Hornady RN along with a few cans of IMR-4198. I do not think he would have kept using them if they didn't kill his deer every year. I never met the man, it was an estate auction, so I can't ask him to make sure.

I haven't felt like going deer hunting for the past few years and have only shooting targets, which I can kill paper with less powerful rounds so my .35's have been languishing in the safe. Maybe I better try them this summer, just in case I feel like going hunting this fall. Some nice tender steaks from a young deer sound awfully tasty right now.

Robert

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.